Sign in to follow this  
x-plane 123

Ortho4XP help

Here are some shots of a few tiles I've successfully generated combined with GB Pro

Northern Scotland

Alabeo_R66_1.jpg

Notice how well the coastlines are defined

Alabeo_R66_2.jpg

Alabeo_R66_3.jpg

Really like how inland water is now displayed

Alabeo_R66_4.jpg

Hi all,

I have let a draft version the manual in my dropbox.

I would be happy to get some feedback on what you beleive is missing

from it or is too shortly covered (except for installation of third parties...).

Regards,

Oscar

Hi Oscar, can you publish the link to the dropbox here (Maybe in your signature), so others know where to find it.

The manual is fantastic and covers everything in detail, excellent work on this and this amazing application :-)

It's a complicated program to use at the moment, and I had to open the Python code files up to understand how to run it. Additionally, most of it is in French :-). However, I think Oscar has mentioned that once he stablises it, it will get proper instructions and will be more non-programmer friendly etc..

Anyway, I've successfully created a few tiles on Mac OS X using Alpha 3. I remember I had to do the following:

• I installed Macbrew http://brew.sh/
  • I installed Python3 "brew install python3"
  • I then installed all the dependencies listed (There was no installer in Alpha 2, so I had to fix each error as it popped up), but you can now just run the installer "sh install/Mac64/Install_script.sh" and this should install all the dependencies Alpha 3 wants. If it doesn't, give me a shout and I'll help you through it.
  • Once installed, you then need to grab the DEM files for the region you want to generate. I grabbed mine from ViewFinderPanoramas and placed them into the Ortho4xp's Elevation_data folder. There are also tutorial videos on Youtube by Oscar on how to grab ones from the USGS server, but I prefer the viewfinder ones.
  • You then need to edit the file called Ortho4xp.cfg and add in a imagery layer you want to use. I use the following to add Google for all of the UK 
    ortho_list.append("49 60 -10 4 16 GO2")

Basically this minLat, maxLat, minLon, maxLon, zoomLevel, service. The services currently being GO and GO2 for google (One uses newer imagery), BI for bing and then some French services.

• You then run the command, on Mac OS X, I run 

python3 Ortho4XP.py build_tile 50 1

This will generate a tile for 50+001 (Somewhere around London). It took about 30 mins to generate a tile.

The quality of the tiles produced is superb, I especially like the fact that it uses OpenStreetMap to determine the coastline and water areas. So users can fix their own problems with the water in the mesh. However, one issue I did find is that the OpenStreetMap downloader is restricted to a certain size, so if a tile has a lot of water areas, the download fails and inland water (lakes, etc) don't have masks. I'll see if I can hack at the source code to fix this (i.e. Make it download smaller regions or read a readymade OSM file).

Also, I couldn't generate -53-001, I received an error with some non-existant number in the mesh. 

Good luck :-)

Do you use GIMP on OSX?  I can't get GIMP to run from the command line/batch mode.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Yes, but I had to change the path it uses though in the config file to /Applications/GIMP.app/Contents/MacOS/gimp-2.8 

Hello Oscar

I am new user of this software, everytime I got this error

HTTPConnectionPool(host='c.tile.openstreetmap.org', port=80): Read timed out. (read timeout=10)HTTPConnectionPool(host='c.tile.openstreetmap.org', port=80): Read timed out. (read timeout=10)HTTPConnectionPool(host='a.tile.openstreetmap.org', port=80): Read timed out. (read timeout=10)HTTPConnectionPool(host='c.tile.openstreetmap.org', port=80): Read timed out. (read timeout=10)

We will try again in We will try again in We will try again in We will try again in     22  2sec...sec...2

sec...

sec...

HTTPConnectionPool(host='c.tile.openstreetmap.org', port=80): Read timed out. (read timeout=10)

We will try again in  3 sec...

Encoding of the DSF file...

Final nbr of points : 454342

Final nbr of cross pool tris: 12171

Size of DEFN atom : 13095 bytes.

Size of GEOD atom : 6330742 bytes.

Size of CMDS atom : 5049566 bytes.

DSF file encoded, total size is  : 11393527 bytes.

HTTPConnectionPool(host='a.tile.openstreetmap.org', port=80): Read timed out. (read timeout=10)

We will try again in  1 sec...

HTTPConnectionPool(host='b.tile.openstreetmap.org', port=80): Read timed out. (read timeout=10)

HTTPConnectionPool(host='b.tile.openstreetmap.org', port=80): Read timed out. (read timeout=10)

We will try again in  2 sec...

HTTPConnectionPool(host='a.tile.openstreetmap.org', port=80): Read timed out. (read timeout=10)

HTTPConnectionPool(host='c.tile.openstreetmap.org', port=80): Read timed out. (read timeout=10)

We will try again in  2 sec.

can you tell me, how to fix this.

Win11 Pro 64 Bit, Intel® Core i9-10900K 5.3 GHz, NVIDIA  RTX 3090, DDR4 4200 128GB, P3D V5

John Liem

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg