Sign in to follow this  
737_800

No Profile for nvidea inspector

Technically you can just install over the top. In practice I never do unless its' for minor updates. If you are updating from one driver primary to another (i.e. from 342.x-355.x)

Run DDU from

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

preferably in safemode

Then run installer for the new driver set. Reboot (this appears to have come back into `fashion` at NV after being unnecessary for the past few driver sets, but is a good idea anyways)

Clean the shader cache (details are here in the forum)

Start the sim. Short delay while the shader cache is rebuilt and then you're good to go !

Louis,

I tend to agree with a lot of what you post but I have to put the brakes on DDU.  I took that suggestion a while back and subsequently received a very nasty virus from it and wound up reinstalling my system.  Sorry, but I for one avoid that program like the plague.

I have honestly had no trouble with just doing clean installs through nvidia's driver updates.  I'm running that SDK version you mentioned in another post and it works great, so I'm leaving well enough alone.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I tend to agree with a lot of what you post but I have to put the brakes on DDU. I took that suggestion a while back and subsequently received a very nasty virus from it and wound up reinstalling my system. Sorry, but I for one avoid that program like the plague.

Hi Jim,

that's very strong tobacco what you're telling us here. I doubt that you got the virus from DDU directly. Did you mention this at the guru3d forum? As far as I know is the author of DDU a member there. http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=379506

It would be very helpful to explain your problem there and tell where you downloaded it. Only to say you got a virus from DDU is useless for the community.

Thanks

Spirit

Hi Jim,

that's very strong tobacco what you're telling us here. I doubt that you got the virus from DDU directly. Did you mention this at the guru3d forum? As far as I know is the author of DDU a member there. http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=379506

It would be very helpful to explain your problem there and tell where you downloaded it. Only to say you got a virus from DDU is useless for the community.

Thanks

Spirit

I would not say that my statement is useless, it was opinion, based on fact.  I'm sorry if I bruised someone's ego or insulted their opinion, just conveying what happened in my case.

To be perfectly honest, I don't recall if I did get DDU from Guru3D, so maybe ythat was part of the problem but I can say that it was that dowload because my virus software detected it and unfortunately, it was an agressive trojan virus that couldn't be eradicated.

I'm not bashing Guru3D at all, just saying that this program did a whole lot more than uninstall drivers, and not in a good way.

-Jim

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

To each his own - I d not use DDU simply because, IMHO, it is not necessary with the newer NVidia drivers *IF* you do a clean install. Prior to the clean install options, I would not install a driver without using it.

FWIW, it's redundant but if it makes you feel better, use it - it doesn't hurt, just takes a little more time.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

it is funny the talk about a virus from DDU,because after using DDU I had to reinstall win7,the PC would not boot kept going round in circles,I thought it was something i had done but maybe not,I stopped using it after that,thanks for sharing

peter

it is funny the talk about a virus from DDU,because after using DDU I had to reinstall win7,the PC would not boot kept going round in circles,I thought it was something i had done but maybe not,I stopped using it after that,thanks for sharing

peter

The problem I had was the virus showing up and I had to try and track it to it's source, which was DDU.  It was the only thing that I had done to the system prior to getting the virus.  Somehow, I got a bad download.  I did look it up through a Google search, which took me to Guru3D, and I saw reports of others getting a virus.  What I was able to track now is that it showed as a false positive from the version I got, and now I guess it's fixed but I can't risk it now.  Just as Vic mentioned, there really isn't any reason to use it if a clean install is done with the nvidia driver install, so I'll stick with that.

Peter, that issue you have was fixed, according to the developer at Guru3D so if you want to give it another shot, download the newer version.

-Jim