Sign in to follow this  
Gh3003

Hypothetical (fun) question

Hi guys -

First of all - i am aware that its a long path and many years of studies to be an airline pilot, so it has got nothing to do with that.

Lets say you master a plane like for example the pmdg 737, or the 747-400 - well, anything from PMDG -

would you be able to land a plane for real if the captain fainted or something?

That is funny, with a funny answer.  My wife asked me a similar question one time and I responded with a resounding YES.  A few months later, I revisited that question and revised my answer stating "yeah, I could do it, but it may not be very pretty". lol

Hey, any landing you can walk away from is a good landing, right?

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I agree - as long as one can exit the plane the same way one entered, all is good. It would be cool if it was a story where someone had landed a real plane based on flightsimming :)

Gh3003, prepare for a spanking for even asking.

The main reason I say that is that this same topic has been posted so many times here and heavily debated.

It's almost like the two other most posted questions on Avsim, what's the best AI and what's the best weather engine?

The odds would probably be that you would not make a very good landing hand flying if you've never actually flown an aircraft, but you would probably be able to set up an autoland.

Frankly, even though you think it's a fun hypothetical topic, it's not really worth debating as its already been beaten to death quit a few times here.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Seems im not the only one who think its a fun and interesting question.

The reason i posted it was that i did not found it here - i assume someone already had asked

No worries Gunnar...water off a duck's back.  It's a good question. :)

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

It strucked me many times, so i finally decided to bring it to the open -

Thanks, jmorvay1971 :)

Yes, you would be able, provided you weren't entertained while doing so. You'd risk breaking some EULA in that case.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

It strucked me many times, so i finally decided to bring it to the open -

Thanks, Jim :)

Gunner, as someone else mentioned your question has more or less been debated in the three threads below. These should keep you busy for a while.

http://www.avsim.com/topic/343489-could-you-fly-a-real-737ng/

http://www.avsim.com/topic/455448-could-a-flight-simmer-take-off-with-a-real-737/

http://www.avsim.com/topic/7070-can-you-land-an-airliner/

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Always make sure that when you travel, your yoke, Joystick, mouse & keyboard are packed in your hand luggage.Keep an ear out for the call on the PA when the pilot faints...

"Any simmers out there, FS9, FSX or P3D? " Well, if it's a 737, make sure you can find a USB port for your yoke, mouse & keyboard, NEVER a joystick. That can only be used if it's an Airbus. & if you are used to a twist-grip rudder....

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Could you land it? Possibly. Would it be pretty? No.  Though commercial flightsims have come a long way, there are too many things that a desktop computer cannot simulate. A lot of it has to do with feeling. Even the expensive Level D sims can feel off compared to the real thing. There is no substitute.

Nick Hatchel

"Sometimes, flying feels too godlike to be attained by man. Sometimes, the world from above seems too beautiful, too wonderful, too distant for human eyes to see …"
Charles A. Lindbergh, 1953

System: Custom Watercooled--Intel i7-8700k OC: 5.0 Ghz--Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7--EVGA GTX 1080ti Founders Edition--16GB TridentZ RGB DDR4--240GB SSD--460GB SSD--1TB WD Blue HDD--Windows 10--55" Sony XBR55900E TV--GoFlight VantEdge Yoke--MFG Crosswind Pedals--FSXThrottle Quattro Throttle Quadrant--Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS--TrackIR 5--VRInsight MCPii Boeing

Lol  Robin  

I often thought about being the hero of the day alright and landing a plane in terrible conditions and so on and so on,  unfortunately the reality is different though.   Its always a good and fun question to see different peoples opinions as new folks come on board   

I wonder who will get preference to land the thing, an X-Planer or a P3D'er?

Probably not a FSX:SE'er.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

As long as you had Lloyd Bridges and Robert Stack to talk you down, you'd be good to go.

P.S. Do you like to watch movies about gladiators?

I wonder who will get preference to land the thing, an X-Planer or a P3D'er?

Probably not a FSX:SE'er.

I can just imagine the punch-up in the cockpit...