Sign in to follow this  
wyzx01

It's good enough if 3.0 goes with DX12

If you're running an AMD video card, sure. With an nVidia card... not so much.

However, there really isn't a chance of seeing DX12 support for quite a while.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Apart from the fact DX12 won't happen anytime soon, the gain in performance in one game doesn't mean you will see the same kind of gain in another game. And certainly not in a sim like P3D which is nothing like any game out there.

This is what n4gix posted, seems make sense because he's a moderator.

If I may inject a few salient points.

1. I am one of many v3.0 beta testers.
  2. Rob is quite correct to be "excited."
  3. JV views v3.0 through his own particular filters, and is quite likely to not be focused on anything not related to scenery and folder/file management and how it impacts his company's products.
  4. v3.0 is not 64bit

As for DX12, please everyone keep in mind that this would require a complete revamping of the minimum requirements for Prepar3D:

1. OS must be Win10
  2. Video card must support DX12
  3. Video drivers must support DX12

Item #1 is the major sticking point for the next few years at least.

If you're running an AMD video card, sure. With an nVidia card... not so much.

However, there really isn't a chance of seeing DX12 support for quite a while.

I got AMD and Nvidia both. Nvidia said they have a problem about display driver, Ashes uses a DX12 feature that NV hasn't fully supported, that sounds like a joke, but maybe true, guess NV will take over of it. Let's just regard P3DV3 has DX12, in my view, V3 will not use that much features in DX12. AMD just said that there's no "fully support" of DX12, both developers and chip designer take useful features from it but not all of them.

Apart from the fact DX12 won't happen anytime soon, the gain in performance in one game doesn't mean you will see the same kind of gain in another game. And certainly not in a sim like P3D which is nothing like any game out there.

I do know what you mean. That's why I post Ashes demo, not other DX12 benchmark. Ashes and P3D have a same property, they both require huge amount drawcalls.

It's humorous how other members say nope, DX-12 not going to happen in 3.0.

Just curious, are you guys Lockheed employees?...  

Or maybe you have super secret cameras set up in their offices?...  

Or perhaps a backdoor to their servers?...

Er... seriously...? Read the post above your own in which a (well respected) beta testers is quoted saying P3D will not have DX12. 

Ok... let's just look at some simple logic:

1 - DirectX 12 requires Windows 10 and a DirectX 12 ready graphics card.

2 - Given the requirements of item 1... no current training systems could use DX12-based Prepar3D. Any hardware changes requires recertification.

3 - L-M would profit best by getting all current systems upgraded to the latest version.

DirectX 12 isn't coming with v3.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Only about 5% of Windows users have installed Windows 10. Pretty small user base to implement DX12 for.. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

If DX12 theoretically was to make it into V4 or V5, what significant improvements are possible with P3D which some seem to be hellbent on wanting?

I am wondering if the change from 32 to 64 bit isn't limited somehow by the licensing terms between Microsoft and Lockheed Martin? 

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

2 - Given the requirements of item 1... no current training systems could use DX12-based Prepar3D. Any hardware changes requires recertification.

3 - L-M would profit best by getting all current systems upgraded to the latest version.

Well, now, obviously DX12 support doesn't have to mean you HAVE to have a DX12 compatible system. FSX supported DX10 after one of its patches but you could still run it in DX9 (as most users did). It's quite common for games/sims to support various DX-version without making one or all of them mandatory. So LM could theoretically implement DX12 for those who DO have the right hard- and software and who would want to use it. Those who don't can still use the current DX-version.

Having said that, I think it will mostly be the er... home simmers that would like this option and since they aren't LM's priority, DX12 support, as an option or not, won't be coming too soon. UNLESS some features (like using more than one GPU) is very easy to implement.

Maybe p3D V3.5 ?

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz
SSD -Crucial MX500 1TB (P3D Install Only)
OS- Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (Window 10 Pro 64)

I think all of that juice has gone to your head.

I think there's no one could be as professional as a moderator/ beta tester. So I just take what he said as a truth. Maybe he just made a joke, or he can come here and say " yes, I'm joking", and we stop this topic, right?

Good thinking with some mistakes.

1-Absolutely, DX12 only comes with Win10 and DX12 capable Video Card. But that not means you have to buy a new card like GTX980Ti (Maxwell 2.0), or a R9 380 (GCN 1.2). Almost ALL THESE current DX11 capable cards are capable with DX12 except HD6000, HD5000 and intel 3rd ones.

2-just as J Van E said, P3D has various DX version capability. My friend had a GT240 which could only capable with DX10, but he could also use P3D 2.5, but run in DX9. So, you know, the OS is not that serious, and P3DV3 mostly will also remain DX11 support for old systems.

Having said that, I think it will mostly be the er... home simmers that would like this option and since they aren't LM's priority, DX12 support, as an option or not, won't be coming too soon. UNLESS some features (like using more than one GPU) is very easy to implement.

Er...right, home simmers are not LM's priority, never will be. But look at the route map from P3DV1 (DX10), P3DV2 (DX11), and possible P3DV3 with DX12. Each version update came with DX version update. Maybe V3 will not initially support DX12, but it nearly 100% will in the near 3.1, 3.2 etc. Personally, I think LM is quite aggresive in obtaining performance for their simulator.

Maybe p3D V3.5 ?

Maybe, we all make speculations.