Sign in to follow this  
wyzx01

It's good enough if 3.0 goes with DX12

Maybe, we all make speculations.

Oh No!!!  Don't spoil the thread .....  Where would we all be without a healthy dose of speculation?  Trolling Yahoo or Google [other Search Engines are available], for our daily 'fix'?  Give me THIS lunacy every time! At least we are all in one place! :P

Well, now, obviously DX12 support doesn't have to mean you HAVE to have a DX12 compatible system. FSX supported DX10 after one of its patches but you could still run it in DX9 (as most users did).

Unless you have Windows 10 you won't get DirecttX 12.

FSX didn't run in Directx 10. It offered only a limited preview.

Unless you have Windows 10 you won't get DirecttX 12.

FSX didn't run in Directx 10. It offered only a limited preview.

Er... Yes...? I know DX12 requires W10 and that FSX DX10 was limited but that's not the point. The point is that DX12 support can be given as an option. Adding DX12 support doesn't have to mean the minimum requirements will have to be changed in order to run P3D (using current DX mode). Everyone who does not have a DX12 compatible system can still use P3D in its current DX mode. This isn't something odd or new: it has been done a lot like this in the past.

Just curious, are you guys Lockheed employees?...  

Or maybe you have super secret cameras set up in their offices?...  

Or perhaps a backdoor to their servers?...

That is Top Secret compartmentalised information that I could not possibly divulge online in an open forum. Please provide me with your NSA badge number and the name of your supervisor, and I will look into the possibility of getting a judge to provide you with a 100% blacked out copy of the relevant support documents.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

The point is that DX12 support can be given as an option.

DirectX 12 is an integral part of Windows 10. How will Lockheed Martin give it as an option?

DirectX 12 is an integral part of Windows 10. How will Lockheed Martin give it as an option?

The same way as tons of game developers has given a similar option to gamers, as an option for those who do have the right hardware and software. LM can implement DX12 support and everyone who has Windows 10 and the right hardware will be able to use that option. Everyone else will keep on using DX 11. It's been done in the past with DX 8, 9, 10 so I don't see what's the problem here....?

Making accurate and realistic statements is no longer allowed in FS fora.

Don't try to inject truth into users heads, just play along until they realize that DirectX 12 is an MS offering in W10, NOT LM. :wink: :Party:

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

This thread could fold nicely in the P3D V3 speculation thread. 

Now my two cents/pence/pfennig...  unless most of their corporate customers have upgraded all the flight sim computers with the DirectX 12 graphics cards, LM will not implement DirectX12.  LM is first and foremost a business-to-business enterprise -- not a consumer gaming company.  Adding the Win10 requirement guarantees that it won't happen since IT departments are very conservative about upgrading to bleeding edge operating systems. 

Wishful thinking won't change that corporate reality.

The same way as tons of game developers has given a similar option to gamers, as an option for those who do have the right hardware and software. LM can implement DX12 support and everyone who has Windows 10 and the right hardware will be able to use that option. Everyone else will keep on using DX 11. It's been done in the past with DX 8, 9, 10 so I don't see what's the problem here....?

That would require they implement a completely separate application. DX12 is radically different from prior DX versions in how one goes about one's graphic business. I don't think you could convince L-M there's a value in going that route at this time.

I also don't think you're being realistic in your expectations regarding DX12 implementation. The vast majority of L-M training systems I am aware of use older OS versions (Win7) and will not be upgrading, at all. So there's more incentive of not supporting DX12 than there is to support DX12. If the majority of your customer base isn't going to move to Win10 (and I can assure you that is an issue)... then changing system requirements isn't a good path.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Oh No!!!  Don't spoil the thread .....  Where would we all be without a healthy dose of speculation?  Trolling Yahoo or Google [other Search Engines are available], for our daily 'fix'?  Give me THIS lunacy every time! At least we are all in one place! :P

Er...I don't get the point, I'm not english native, so I probably miss some. This thread is somewhat a speculation thread if somebody think so. I treat it as what DX12 will give us thread.

I don't know how to let you understand even, seems you missed lots of stuff about DX support and DX capable.

That would require they implement a completely separate application. DX12 is radically different from prior DX versions in how one goes about one's graphic business. I don't think you could convince L-M there's a value in going that route at this time.

Why separate? Ashes can run in DX11 and DX12, see the video I posted on #1. So, P3D can also run in two or more DX version. Actually, P3DV2 have the ablility to capable DX9 (or DX10 maybe, not sure which version) and DX11.

If the majority of your customer base isn't going to move to Win10 (and I can assure you that is an issue)... then changing system requirements isn't a good path.

There's always someone says the new OS system has these or those issuses, and they refuse to upgrade. See people who refuse to upgrade to WinXp when Xp was coming out, and remain using their Win2000. Also Win7, Win8. I don't know what they thinking, for capability? For stablility? But after some years, they have to move on to newer ones. Some people just be that conservative, they refuse to use new technologies, but finally, they have to accept it and refuse newer technologies. Strange people.

I also don't think you're being realistic in your expectations regarding DX12 implementation. The vast majority of L-M training systems I am aware of use older OS versions (Win7) and will not be upgrading, at all. So there's more incentive of not supporting DX12 than there is to support DX12. If the majority of your customer base isn't going to move to Win10 (and I can assure you that is an issue)... then changing system requirements isn't a good path.

I already posted myself the implementation of DX12 is not something we will be seeing anytime soon, to put it mildly. ;) I was merely trying to make clear that IF LM would implement it, it wouldn't have to mean the minimum requirements had to be changed because DX12 could be added as an option, even if this version of DX is totally different. wyzx01 already posted it is done today already. The fact that DX12 is embedded in W10 which is made MS has nothing to do with that but somehow some people fail to understand that.

Making accurate and realistic statements is no longer allowed in FS fora.

Don't try to inject truth into users heads, just play along until they realize that DirectX 12 is an MS offering in W10, NOT LM. :wink: :Party:

As I said, some people fail to understand... ;) Of course W10 is an MS offering but who has to implement the DX12 options into their products...? Or do you seriously think MS will take care of that? I don't think so. In this case it is up to LM to implement DX12 support.

Just one question....

I've been polling these threads about the upcoming version of P3D, but I wonder if a 2.5 user with an Academic license will get it as an upgrade, or have to buy again ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

There's always someone says the new OS system has these or those issuses, and they refuse to upgrade. See people who refuse to upgrade to WinXp when Xp was coming out, and remain using their Win2000. Also Win7, Win8. I don't know what they thinking, for capability? For stablility? But after some years, they have to move on to newer ones. Some people just be that conservative, they refuse to use new technologies, but finally, they have to accept it and refuse newer technologies. Strange people

Commercial organsisions aren't going to adopt Windows 10 just because Microsoft offers a new update to consumers.

What really matters are the applications that these company's run - financial, engineering, etc - not the operatingsystem. Companies are not going to risk their businesses by relying on a an unproven combination of operating system and applications because enthusiasts in these forums say so. My medium-sized company has 10,000 Windows licences. Updated the operating system would not involve the cost of Microsoft icences from but for the applicatio, not the mention the training cost.  Changing an operating system in an expensive undertaking  and is one of the last things we wanted to spend  money on.

Gerry, those who've never been exposed to the corporate licensing of OS and Applications by MS will blindly pursue the MS "update process".

Indeed they remain oblivious to what is required for others to offer their "favorite feature" requests by "yesterday and for free."

Or do you seriously think MS will take care of that? I don't think so. In this case it is up to LM to implement DX12 support.

I've not said nor thought such a thing. LM will make a decision regarding these points and either implement all or some according to their own purposes.
Somehow I doubt they will check FS forums for guidance on the matter...

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Just one question....

I've been polling these threads about the upcoming version of P3D, but I wonder if a 2.5 user with an Academic license will get it as an upgrade, or have to buy again ?

No one knows this yet but the expectation is we will have to buy again. But maybe LM has a surprise for us all. But if they do I would expect a surprise for the pro license owners, not the academic people who already got the sim at a very small price. If you already received a 75% discount, you shouldn't moan about having to buy again. Take note there also hasn't been an announcement about pricing. Things might as well be totally different this time.