Sign in to follow this  
A340-4

GA Advise please

Dear Simmers;

Its hard for me to say this, but since FS2002 I have been only flying Heavies. Now I fly the PMDG 737/777 Aerosoft Airbus. My passion to heavy A/C started as a kid being in the cockpit jump seat  (My father and his father all made it to captains and then senior instructors within the same airline), so it was very natural for me to be 'attracted' to lets say a T7 vs a small GA airplane since it was  already very much familiar to me.

Last week I decided to give the Orbx Global freeware airports a chance. I was very much pleased with the results, in addition, all those airports are freeware, so why not? I loaded up my flightsim and selected the default Duke. What a pleasure it was to fly it and FINALY get to see the amazing scenery that I own after all this time. Lets face it, flying a 777 38,000ft high, you cant really enjoy the scenery in its full potential. I was simply stunned. All of the details, little parks, forests, rivers, lakes, villages...etc etc that I didn't even think of before.

So my question is this: Im looking to start doing some GA flying. Wanted to know if any of you could recommend some GA aircraft that is an "intro" into GA flying and doesn't have a steep learning curve. I was looking at the Duke V2, but not sure if its a suitable aircraft for me to start with? Im interested in doing flights that are between 10min long to 21/2 hrs long.

Edit: I also looked at the Cub from A2A, but unfortunately it doesn't quite appeal to my taste.

Many Many thanks for you feedback.

Simple single - A2A 172

Complex single - A2A 182, Comanche 250 (my personal choice), Real Air Legacy

Twin - RA Duke V2 or even the Turbine Duke which is massively quick but quite easy on the learning and stunningly short-field compliant, Mitsubishi Mu-2 from Flysimware

If you're used to PMDG level complexity those will give you the `systemology` to learn and satisfy. The only other plane that meets A2A level of ownership complexity is the DA/Aerosoft Katana X, but you may find this to be a little slow for your needs - although the management side is actually more sophisticated than A2A Accusim.

I'm sure others will have suggestions, but one group to stay away from is Carenado/Alabeo. Visually beautiful, but about as system-relevant as a bucket of sick at a gourmet restaurant - although there are some modders who have made a silk purse out of a sows ear with some of them. Need careful research before you get sucked in by the photorealism!

Hello Louisdecoolste;

Thank you very much for your feedback. I looked at the Comanche 250 and very much like it too. The only thing about it- is its price. The entry price is 53Euros or 70USD? A little steep for me. The Duke I like very much and the price is good too, 42Euros or 53USD?. I was a little worried about the learning curve, but the feedback from you and what I have read on the reviews seems to be reassuring.

KatanaX looks very interesting too. I will do some reading about it. It seems that the ground handling is not good?

For a bit longer GA flights, the Duke B60 and Duke Turbine are great aircraft, with a little more complex systems and especially the Turbine has some more speeds. But if you really want to do the low&slow thingy, I would recommend the A2A Cherokee, Comanche, or  C182, al great, very detailed aircraft. Another thing from A2A is the accu-sim system, that slowly wears your aircraft down, like it would in the real world and you have to take into account when parts of it are running out and you have to repair those in time.

Or, if you'd want something with a little more speed, the A2A P-51(Civ) is an awesome aircraft. I love taking it down into the Grand Canyon, going full speed through the lower crevasses.

Cheers!

Maarten

Hello Louisdecoolste;

Thank you very much for your feedback. I looked at the Comanche 250 and very much like it too. The only thing about it- is its price. The entry price is 53Euros or 70USD? A little steep for me. The Duke I like very much and the price is good too, 42Euros or 53USD?. I was a little worried about the learning curve, but the feedback from you and what I have read on the reviews seems to be reassuring.

KatanaX looks very interesting too. I will do some reading about it. It seems that the ground handling is not good?

I've no complaints about the Katana - and I fly one in real life (well used to)! 

Nosewheel castors so differential braking is best, but there is rudder effect just from propwash, so I don't know where the complaints are coming from? Compared to a PMDG 737 it's agile like a monkey up a drainpipe, of that I can assure you!  :He He:

If you're price-sensitive, wait for discount offers. But the Comanche is a new 'un, so might not be in bargain section just yet. Worth every single penny IMHO. Just go without food for a couple of days...

I'll second the motion on A2A aircraft.  I jumped in on the C182, after frustrations with the "other company's" version.  It flys very well and as far as learning curve, if you have flown a real aircraft before, you shouldn't have any issues with A2A aircraft.  They have modeled and coded it to act like a real aircraft such as taking care of it because it "ages".  It makes you pay attention to more than just flying it, which I like.  I haven't moved on to their other GA aircraft yet, but the C182 is a good, all around aircraft for those short hops and longer flights.  Combining it with ORBX scenery is a perfect macth, in my opinion.  If you use P3D, well you have an even better setup!

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Thank you all for your feedback.

So now I have three choices:

A2A C182

RealAir-Turbine Duke V2

KatanaX

From my understanding the Carenado C90B King Air is not really recommended?

Many Thanks as always,

Thank you all for your feedback.

So now I have three choices:

A2A C182

RealAir-Turbine Duke V2

KatanaX

From my understanding the Carenado C90B King Air is not really recommended?

Many Thanks as always,

I can vouch for the top two, not sure of the Katana and as far as the Carenado C90B, i would look into an alternative.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Thanks Jim, I keep doing some research.

How is the handling of the Duke for you?  And the complexity level?

I forgot to mention: I use the Saitek Yoke and Pedals. Not sure if its relevant or not.

Thanks,