Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Soft Clouds update

I did find an update when clicking the check for update button within the Soft Clouds interface and when starting the application it reports the latest version but the shortcut still says Soft Clouds SP1...was it supposed to be SP2 after the update?

As for the Nvidia driver I guess you're talking about version 355.98?

Very nice to hear about the 20% increased performance, looking forward to try this out myself! Don't think though the Soft Clouds update could increase your FPS by 20% so must be the new Nvidia driver I guess.

Richard Åsberg

20% increase in fps ?

They look better but for the rest still a bitmap with the same size and same alpha channel and the same amount of clouds on each bitmap...

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

There are TWO updates, one for REX4 Textures (latest version is 4.5.2015.08.18) and one for REX Softclouds (latest version 4.2.2015.08.10). I downloaded and installed them today via the built in update function.

Jack

The Swede in Spain

I've now updated both Soft Clouds and the Nvidia driver and I see zero FPS improvement.

Not a big deal though since I already have about 50 FPS in the NGX with my new Skylake rig :)

Richard Åsberg

You don't need two updates if you have Rex 4 Direct and Soft Clouds integrated, You only need this one

http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/forums/index.php?/topic/36228-rex-4-texture-direct-with-soft-clouds-service-pack-5/

which takes it to 4.7.2015.0818.

FIX LIST

The following is a list of changes and fixes within Service Pack 5  (build: 4.7.2015.0818)

FIXED - Soft Clouds to make more volumetric.

FIXED - Ability to install a weather generated theme without the "save" requirement.
FIXED - Upper-atmospheric color blending.
FIXED - Community Theme drop down filter was not showing all lists appropriately.
FIXED - Suneffect.cfg file location updated to proper location during texture injection.
FIXED - Texture options window not saving options when closing REX and restarting.
FIXED - Within the Theme window, the Lightning screen was showing the title of the wrong element.
ADDED - Auto search for main folder location of feature for users of Microsoft Flight Simulator X Steam Edition.

FROM: REX 4 - TEXTURE DIRECT WITH SOFT CLOUDS BUILD 4.4.2015.0115
TO:  REX 4 - TEXTURE DIRECT WITH SOFT CLOUDS  BUILD 4.7.2015.0818

I've now updated both Soft Clouds and the Nvidia driver and I see zero FPS improvement.

Not a big deal though since I already have about 50 FPS in the NGX with my new Skylake rig :)

You followed the installation instructions properly? Reset the preferences within REX4? Set the water appropriately? Rebuilt the shader file?

Used the 366.04 beta drivers, NOT WHQL 355.98?

You followed the installation instructions properly? Reset the preferences within REX4? Set the water appropriately? Rebuilt the shader file?

Used the 366.04 beta drivers, NOT WHQL 355.98?

Weren't any installation instructions to follow, I'm not using REX4 but only the Soft Clouds package? I use ASN for weather.

Nope, I'm not using any beta Nvidia drivers so in my case the driver I just installed is the WHQL 355.98 one.

Will try to clear the shader cache though, always a good thing to do I believe when you have upgraded the video driver.

Richard Åsberg

Weren't any installation instructions to follow, I'm not using REX4 but only the Soft Clouds package

I just opened up 'Soft Clouds', clicked on 'check for updates' and clicked the 'save' button., and run the setup file.

bob

I just opened up 'Soft Clouds', clicked on 'check for updates' and clicked the 'save' button., and run the setup file.

bob

That's exactly what I did too.

Richard Åsberg

Speaking about soft clouds, what set are you guys using out of the 16 different styles you can choose from?

I think most of them look very nice in the preview picture but it's really hard to compare since all preview pictures are different. Would have been much easier to compare if the background picture would have been the same for all different types.

Richard Åsberg

Speaking about soft clouds, what set are you guys using out of the 16 different styles you can choose from?

I think most of them look very nice in the preview picture but it's really hard to compare since all preview pictures are different. Would have been much easier to compare if the background picture would have been the same for all different types.

I agree its hard to note the difference, just changed from 11 to 5, maybe I somehow like 5 better.

btw there is a installlog file in the Softclouds folder that list the current type. just abit of info if you can't remember which was the last one installed.

going back to the update my shortcut is just 'Rex Soft Clouds' no mention of sp1 or 2.

However the build number is listed top left on the start up screen.

bob

20% increase in fps ?

They look better but for the rest still a bitmap with the same size and same alpha channel and the same amount of clouds on each bitmap...

Exactly.

Clouds are clouds and bitmaps are bitmaps. Doesn't matter if the artwork contained inside them changed as they will still perform the same.

The only thing that can effect the performance in clouds is the size you're running, be it 512, 1024, 2048, or 4096, and the compression DXT or 32bit.

If someone was previously running 32bit and them switched the DXT format, then they would see a difference in performance, but going from one 1024 DXT cloud texture to another 1024 DXT cloud texture won't make any difference in performance.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Clouds are clouds and bitmaps are bitmaps. Doesn't matter if the artwork contained inside them changed as they will still perform the same.

The only thing that can effect the performance in clouds is the size you're running, be it 512, 1024, 2048, or 4096, and the compression DXT or 32bit.

If someone was previously running 32bit and them switched the DXT format, then they would see a difference in performance, but going from one 1024 DXT cloud texture to another 1024 DXT cloud texture won't make any difference in performance.

Not only that but 99% of the FPS analyses lack any descent testing procedures or semblance of the scientific method. "Hey I did this and got 30% better FPS." Right. Show it.

bob

So you both missed reading this

FROM: REX 4 - TEXTURE DIRECT WITH SOFT CLOUDS BUILD 4.4.2015.0115

TO:  REX 4 - TEXTURE DIRECT WITH SOFT CLOUDS  BUILD 4.7.2015.0818

THIS IS THE PROCEDURE ON HOW TO INSTALL REX 4 - TEXTURE DIRECT WITH SOFT CLOUDS (SERVICE PACK 5)

I. INSTALLATION PROCESS

STEP 1 - Click on the link provided.  This will automatically download the zip file.  Unzip the files into a temp folder on your hard-drive.  Then right click on the setup.exe file to run as the administrator to install.

STEP 2 - When the installation wizard asks you for the folder to install REX 4 - Texture Direct (Service Pack 45), click the … button and select the folder where you installed REX 4 Texture Direct  (i.e - C:\REX Texture Direct).

STEP 3 - After the installation process is over, click the "FINISH" to close out the installation.

II. CONFIRMING THE NEW BUILD

After installation has completed click the desktop icon for REX 4 - Texture Direct. On the splash screen you should see the new build. The build should read: 4.7.2015.0818

III. IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR PREPAR3D USERS

In regards to the wave animation fix for Prepar3D users, you must first clear the Prepar3D shader files. Follow the steps below:

STEP 1 - Navigate to C:\Users\YOUR NAME\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Shaders

STEP 2 - Delete ALL content within the folder

STEP 3 - OPEN Texture Direct

STEP 4 - Navigate to the MAIN SETTINGS/CONFIGURATION SETTING screen

STEP 5 - Within the DIRECTX area, select the option DX11 ENABLED (P3D v.2.4+) for Wave Animation

STEP 6 - Textures MUST be installed for this fix to be applied!