Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Option to like a post

If you read my original post that was my suggestion. I agree a dislike option would be inflammatory.

Oh i know,  i'm agreeing with you,    A *like* button would be cool.   

I also gave this thread 5 stars  :smile:

Thanks Elaine to you and everyone who voted this topic up. :smile:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray, et al,

I hope my comment regarding the "dislike" didn't come across as negative.  I was just offering why it this function didn't go over so well in the past.

I too think the "like" button is a great idea!!!  Thanks to Ray for bringing it up!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I remember the original like and dislike buttons, and i remember the trouble they caused.

But i would prefer someone using a like button over somebody quoting a post and just adding "+1" or "I agree"

Stephen

Asus Z170 Deluxe, 32 GB DDR4 Dominator Platinum, i7 6700k mild overclock, GTX Titan ( Pascal ) Win10

But i would prefer someone using a like button over somebody quoting a post and just adding "+1" or "I agree"

+1   :smile:

You hit the nail on the head 

I hope my comment regarding the "dislike" didn't come across as negative. I was just offering why it this function didn't go over so well in the past.

Not at all Dave. I think we all recognise the dangers of the dislike option.

For those of you who have Facebook accounts I imagine the forthcoming 'dislike' option will cause some problems. Clicking it when someone posts bad news could so easily be misconstrued. I'm avoiding it like the plague.

Nice to see support for this suggestion. :smile:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I don't know anything about Facebook. Do you get a 'Like' count? Wow! 33,000 people liked this! If this is what is being proposed... :unsure:  I see it ending in tears. Just a feeling, that's all.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I print off every thread that I read so it would save a lot of parchment (and ink!) to have voting buttons as opposed to the +1 posts.

i have pm'd management about this also few months back;
I’m joining the lines in supporting the Like vote

(i too think the dislike is pointless; if you don’t have something nice to say; then don’t :rolleyes:)

"Likes" and "dislikes" have no bearing on right or wrong, but very often I see a pile of "likes" or "dislikes" attributed to a statement to incorrectly infer rightness or wrongness irrespective of its possibility to mislead some. Needs rethinking. Our dear departed friend Tom, was right to wrong it.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

+1 post #25 ............ & the easy way to convey for me !!

for now, cheers

john martin

I don't know anything about Facebook. Do you get a 'Like' count? Wow! 33,000 people liked this! If this is what is being proposed... :unsure: I see it ending in tears. Just a feeling, that's all.

You personally don't have an accumulated 'like' count but messages you post do. I fail to understand why it would cause acrimony if a post was popular with members. I would prefer if it wasn't possible to see a list of those who liked a post. But even on Facebook when you can see who has liked a post I don't see flame wars breaking out. And FB isn't moderated, AvSim is.

People can show they agree with something now with the +1 option but that's wasteful on resources because many who use it will just quote the whole post again and add +1 as their comment. AvSim ask people not to do that but it's not widely respected.

I really don't see a problem with it. I often agree with a post but don't add a comment simply because I can't be bothered doing a selective quote and adding a comment. I want a quick and easy option.

Needs rethinking. Our dear departed friend Tom, was right to wrong it.

I accept not everyone will agree with me but wasn't it the dislike option that caused all the furore? What's wrong with agreeing with someone's comment? Have we become so sensitive we can't use such an option without the possibility of causing offence?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

#LikeVotesMatter

:db:

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

The problem is that even the "Like" button causes problems. 

e.g. A user posts a post disagreeing with another user. The post disagreeing with the user gets a load of "Likes" from his followers/friends. The first user gets upset and ends up contacting a mod or turning the thread into a fight.

A certain other forum has a system where the like button actually shows which users liked the post. Here is something I see often on that site:

1) A new user or inactive user posts a help topic or expresses his opinion about something. Let's call him/her the victim.

2) An "elite" user or mod/admin makes a sarcastic remark about the victim's post, with the sole intent of making them look stupid. (Sadly this is a common theme).

3) The elite/mod's post gets liked by all of his friends and followers.

4) The original user feels bullied and leaves the site for elsewhere.

Tony,

I think you're citing what I would call an extreme situation. In that case the mods should warn the elite user his comment was inflammatory and if it was me I'd lock him out of that thread and would consider removing his comment as it's not adding anything constructive to the discussion. Do we really want people like that in AvSim?

Suppose the majority sided with the 'victim' and that resulted in the belittling of the 'elite' user? That would be a very positive use of the like option.

There's two ways of looking at this and whilst I'm not ignoring your example I think the majority of people on AvSim are decent and wouldn't engage in such behaviour. if they continued to do so then issue them with a warning and make that visible on their profile. There are forums where warnings are shown on profiles. I'm sure it makes people think twice before posting inflammatory comments.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather