Sign in to follow this  
Marius_S

How much VAS do you have available on startup?

Yes, I know. Another topic on VAS...

I just have short question for you. When you have just loaded up your 777, how much VAS do you see remaining? Tried to do a flight from KSFO to YSSY. Except for those airports, I have Orbx global base, vector and open lc for Europe enabled.

I have about 500 mb remaining at the start, which drops down quite fast, so I will need to save and reload before take off.

The same for the arrival, I save and reload just before the TOD, and again I start with about 500-600 mb remaining. I´m lucky if I make it off the runway before it´s game over...

So, I just wanted to know what you guys are seeing to figure out if my value is normal or if something is quite wrong with my setup. Thanks

Marius S

So, I just wanted to know what you guys are seeing to figure out if my value is normal or if something is quite wrong with my setup. Thanks

Have you glanced at the VAS tips in the Intro Manual?

Kyle Rodgers

You will have to save/reload after TOC but you shouldn't have to before then.

I am showing about 582 Mb VAS remaining with PMDG B77L on active runway with Flightbeam KSFO, FlyTampa YSSY loaded and Orbx FTX Global, FTX NA NCA and Vector all active.  About 800 Mb can be attributed to the PMDG 777.  The rest is all that pretty scenery. You have a budget of 4,000 Mb and you get to spend it any way you want but unlike the government you must manage it.

Dan Downs KCRP

You have to edit the textures, at least on YSSY. Last time i went there with the 777, after converting the textures to 1024x1024, i landed with 380MB free VAS. I took off from VHHH which is also a texture-heavy airport but the memory came back enroute as the airport was left behind.

I have a few enroute airports (RKSI, AYPY, a few more in Australia and FTX Australia region).

EDIT: Using P3D 2.5

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

77LR, House Livery, everything default in FSX and I mean everything. This is FSX out of the box and the 777X just downloaded and installed. 1.9GB at the end of the active runway. This is on a computer I use for testing.

While the aircraft is to blame for about 800 megs it really is scenery, not aircraft, that ruins your VAS.   I do extensive texture work on every payware airport I buy so I don't have to worry about OOMs when I fly.    My preferred aircraft is the 737NGX and with GEX, UTX 2.0, ASN, REX4 and payware airports running, I typically land with 750megs left over which is great.  This let's me turn on AI aircraft if I want which nibble another 100-200 over time.    There are still some places in the US that will eat up all of that like New York and LA.   I have a special startup config just for those places that controls Autogen to a more manageable level in those big sprawling cityscapes.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Ok, thanks! So 5-600 mb is about normal with some heavy scenery installed. I remember a few years back when all we cared about was FPS...

Marius S

Ok, thanks! So 5-600 mb is about normal with some heavy scenery installed. I remember a few years back when all we cared about was FPS...

I think FPS is less of a worry these days with bigger badder CPU/GPU combos but OOM VAS problems still haunt our nightmares.   I will not be satisfied until I can stuff all the cake in my mouth without remorse or worrying about dying!

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

How are you guys seeing remaining VAS?

There's a free tool out there that can actually read it over the network, but FSUIPC also has a command to show it in the title bar of FSX (google "VAS and FSUIPC display" and it will probably show up).

Kyle Rodgers

There's a free tool out there that can actually read it over the network, but FSUIPC also has a command to show it in the title bar of FSX (google "VAS and FSUIPC display" and it will probably show up).

Open FSUIPC

Tab= Logging

Offset= 024C

Type= U32

And underneath you can choose where to display it, I normally use 'tittle bar'

Cheers!

Maarten

I read somewhere turning off raaspro releases about 200mb of vas when using pmdg 777.

I thought that might help if you are running short of vast.

Harishanker