Sign in to follow this  
Murfman

An Apology to Alabeo

In another thread in this sub-forum I attempted to give a quick assessment of the

newly released C400 Corvalis. Since it had a G1000 system which looked pretty

much like other Carenado/Alabeo G1000 systems, I thought that should be pretty

easy to do. What threw me was that the Corvalis has a control unit with features 

like no other version, to my knowledge anyway. My thanks go to JYW for pointing this

out to me.

What I reported was that you can't create a flight plan with the FMS knobs,

because all they do is adjust radio frequencies.  I assumed that this was a bug,

when in fact it's part of the set of choices the GCU 476 control unit gives you.

The control unit is the panel with the data entry keypad. On the center left of

this panel are four buttons labeled PFD, MFD, NAV, and COM.  By default COM is

active, and this is indicated by a small white triangle.  When you push any of

those four buttons, a triangle lights up beside it.  So, when COM  is active,

that means that the FMS knobs, both inner and outer adjust the COM frequencies,

and pushing the inner knob makes the standby frequency active.  To get the FMS

knobs to work to create waypoints on the MFD, you must press the MFD button.

The NAV button lets you adjust the NAV radios, and the PFD button is supposed to

let you make adjustments on the PFD, but as far as I can tell, I don't think it's

modelled.

Anyway, I feel I owe an apology to Alabeo for wrongly reporting on several

features of the G1000 avionics suite. This was due to the haste of my assessment.

It was done late at night before going to bed.  Now after having spent a few

hours with this plane, I have to say that I really like it.  That's not to say

that there aren't any problems, but I have to say that most of the important

features of the G1000 seem to work, including the autopilot, and using them, you

can have an enjoyable flight.

My main gripe is the loss of full rudder authority after using the autopilot.

Just to make sure I wasn't imagining this I flew a closed circuit and did three

takeoffs and landings. On all takeoff and landing rolls I had plenty of rudder

authority. But after doing this test I took off and engaged the autopilot and

then immediately shut it off. After that I had minimal rudder control; in fact

the plane acted as if it had a yaw damper. I could move the stick without

touching the pedals and my turns were coordinated.  How do I know this? By the

little slip and skid bar just below the bank angle pointer on the PFD. After

landing I had only the slightest amount of rudder authority and had to steer with

toe brakes, and actually this works pretty well.  The problem would be trying to

land in a stiff cross wind.

THE AUTOPILOT

In my initial report I said that many of the autopilot functions, including FLC,

Altitude hold, Altitude Select, didn't work.  The problem, I later discovered, is

that even though you think you have pushed an autopilot function button, it

doesn't always register.  The key here is to check the annunciator at the top of

the Primary Flight Display (PFD). Make sure that the function you thought you

selected is in fact displayed.

The following are modes which I tested successfully:

Pitch Mode (PIT). While on the ground when you press the FD button you will see

ROL and PIT displayed on the annunciator. It's important to know that if, after

takeoff, you turn on the autopilot, the plane will not maintain any particular

pitch. You have to tell it what pitch you want, and the best time to do this is

when you are on the ground. You can do this one of two ways: with FD on, press

the Nose Up key until the ADI pitch bar is at ten degrees, or press the GO AROUND

button on the flap panel. This will accomplish the same thing; you don't even

have to turn on the flight director. Pressing this button will do it for you.

If you want to select an altitude in this mode, merely twist the altitude select

knob until you see your desired altitude at the top of the altimeter scale. You

should then see ALTS on the right side of the annunciator. After takeoff and

reaching a safe altitude engage the autopilot, select HDG or NAV and check the

annunciator. It should say something like this HDG AP PIT ALTS. Make sure the ALTS

is still there; sometimes it disappears. If it does so, just twist the altitude

select knob one click and then back again, and it should reappear. You will find

that even in pitch mode your plane will level off very nicely at your selected

altitude. If you set your power to 25 inches and 2500 rpm during the climb you'll

find that your speed will settle in at about 100 knots, which is close to the best

rate of climb (101 knots).

FLC Mode (FLC) I recommend you start with pitch mode, and when your speed

stabilizes, switch to FLC, and you will find that your airspeed will be captured

very nicely.  Then if you want to change your airspeed press the Nose Up and Nose

Down keys.  Pressing the Nose Up key will increase the speed displayed at

the top of the airspeed scale. This will result, of course in the nose coming down

to pick up airspeed at a given power setting. Don't be fooled by the label Nose

Up. In this mode as well as Pitch mode your selected altitude will be captured

nicely. Just be sure to check that ALTS is showing on the annunciator.

ALT Mode. I earlier reported that this doesn't work. I was mistaken. When you

press ALT on the autopilot panel, it will definitely capture the altitude you

were at when you pressed it. My problem was that I didn't check the annunciator

to make sure my key press actually registered.

PLANNING A FLIGHT.  If you are familiar with Carenado's implementation of the

G1000, you will have no or little trouble with this unit. I am admittedly still a

little clumsy using the G1000, so I don't know if I was the problem or if the

unit is a little glitchy at times. My guess is that I was the problem.

Nevertheless I was able to accomplish my intended goals through trial and error.

You can create a flight plan from scratch or just load an FSX plan. I tried both

and made sure that I was able to modify an FSX plan.

When I asked ATC for a specific approach, I was vectored to a transition VOR, and

that gave me a chance to try the Direct To function, and I have to say that it

worked perfectly. I then entered a GPS approach, activated it, and the autopilot

followed it all the way to final. When on final I tuned to the ILS frequency

after switching out of GPS mode using the CDI button (I know, this is incorrect, but

it seems this is how Alabeo/Carenado handle this function). I then pressed APP,

and the autopilot did a beautiful job of tracking the ILS. On short final I

disengaged and hand flew to a successful landing (with a smile on my face, of course).

One thing I should caution. Before doing any of the above, be sure to turn on the

Avionics switch on the overhead. The MFD will display with the switch off, but

you can't do anything with it.  :P

BUG REPORT

If I were to send in a bug report to Alabeo, which I intend to do, I would have to list the rudder

problem as the most important.  Even with this bug, this little bird is a blast

to fly.  I'm really having fun with it, but this is a really serious bug and

needs to be fixed. 

A few other little gripes which don't seriously detract:

1) You get a low fuel warning when your fuel level drops just below half, which

seem a little extreme to me.

2) The FMS knobs on the GCU 476 unit don't work on the 2D pop-up, which I like to

drag over to a second monitor.  They work fine on the VC unit, but then you can't

see the effect of turning them while you're looking directly at the unit to

adjust the knobs.

3) You can't adjust the fan speed on the ECS panel. The fan is quite noisy, so I

leave it off.

On a positive note, with the panel lights on at night, the flap handle has an

illuminated flashing line on it when the flaps are in transit. It looks pretty

cool.

Another positive: the speed brakes are the same style as the Lancair Legacy, and

they are effective!

My recommendation: Buy this plane if Alabeo fixes the flap problem. Again, it is a really fun aircraft!

Thanks for reading. I hope this little review was helpful if you're considering buying.

Regards,

Tom

Sorry the text was so messed up in my post. I wrote it using Notepad and then pasted into the edit box. Not sure why that didn't work. The reason I did it that way was that I have lost a number of long posts previously after clicking the Post button. It was just my. insurance that I wouldn't have to do it all over again.

Thanks for that explanation it was very helpful

I was starting to wonder if there was more than one version released

cheers 

Hey Tom,

Another tip for you, regarding the problem where rudder authority is lost after disconnecting the AP.  As you probably know this is due to a bug where, when the AP is disconnected, the Yaw Damper is not.   Thus, athough there's no annunciation for YD (clearly, as the GFC700 in the C400 does not have a YD), the FSX Yaw Damper is "stuck on".

The way to resolve this, is to define a keyboard command for "Yaw Damper On/Off" in the FSX/P3D control assignments........ actually, I think the keyboard command for this is already defined in FSX/P3D commands by default  - and I think it is CTRL+D.

So then, you would disconnect the AP, and then immediately hit "CTRL+D".  This should disconnect the 'phantom' Yaw Damper, and give you full rudder authority.

Bill

UK LAPL-A

Currently flying:- (GA): COWS DA-42, A2A Comanche, FSW C414, WT SR22T, FSS P2006, BlSq TBM850, FSR M500, Flyboy Rans S6S, SWS Zenith 701,C172 JT-A mod (Airliners): Fenix A320, Ini A300-600, FBW A320 NEO and PMDG737.

Hey, JYW,  this is great news!  I haven't tried this yet, but if it works (and I really have no reason to doubt you), I would definitely recommend this bird as a must buy.  Thanks so much for the explanation.  If the fault is with FSX, it doesn't sound as though it's something Alabeo will be able to fix. Now I'm beginning to wonder how many other payware planes are affected by this bug, and I just didn't notice. : /

And, Lewicide, I'm glad you found my explanation helpful.  Thanks for the feedback.

Regards,

Tom

Well, I put JYW's suggestion to the test, and I'm very happy to say, "It Works!"   :smile:  Also, he was correct in that the default key press to disconnect the, in this case, "phantom" Yaw Damper, is in fact Ctrl D.   If you don't mind this little cheat, I think you will be happy with this bird, provided you follow my above advice on using the G1000. I certainly am! Admittedly the simulation of the avionics suite is not complete by any means, but it certainly has enough detail to be interesting and enjoyable. If you want a study sim, then this won't be for you, of course.

My heartfelt thanks again to JYW for his help in solving this problem.  

Regards,

Tom      ​

Well, I put JYW's suggestion to the test, and I'm very happy to say, "It Works!"   :smile:  Also, he was correct in that the default key press to disconnect the, in this case, "phantom" Yaw Damper, is in fact Ctrl D.   If you don't mind this little cheat, I think you will be happy with this bird, provided you follow my above advice on using the G1000. I certainly am! Admittedly the simulation of the avionics suite is not complete by any means, but it certainly has enough detail to be interesting and enjoyable. If you want a study sim, then this won't be for you, of course.

My heartfelt thanks again to JYW for his help in solving this problem.  

Regards,

Tom      ​

It's a pleasure Tom, happy to help, and that you can now enjoy your bird!

Bill

UK LAPL-A

Currently flying:- (GA): COWS DA-42, A2A Comanche, FSW C414, WT SR22T, FSS P2006, BlSq TBM850, FSR M500, Flyboy Rans S6S, SWS Zenith 701,C172 JT-A mod (Airliners): Fenix A320, Ini A300-600, FBW A320 NEO and PMDG737.

Pressing the "Nose UP" key and getting a nose down result goes against any aviation logic... :Shame On You:

Bert

Well, Bert, at first glance that does seem illogical, I admit, but when you are in FLC mode for this aircraft, the function of the Nose Up and Nose Down keys changes to setting the commanded speed for the auto pilot. Thus repeated tapping of the nose up button increases the commanded speed which appears at the top of the airspeed scale.

Now, I know that you understand that to get the aircraft to increase speed at a given power setting, the autopilot must execute a nose down command to the elevator when operating in FLC Mode.

I have demonstrated this to myself numerous times, and of course I scratched my head over it at first. If you think of it in the context of increasing speed, maybe the act of pressing the button with the word "up" in it isn't so illogical. : )

From the all too brief autopilot manual:

"10) FLC Key: Activates the Flight Level Change,

when you have a higher altitude previously

selected will also hold the current speed

which can be modified with 9 or 11."

"10)" is the reference number in the pictorial diagram for the FLC button. "9" and "11" are the ref numbers for the Nose Up and Nose Down buttons.

While in VS Mode the buttons behave as you would expect, i.e., tapping the Nose Up button results in a pitch up command of 100 FPM for each tap, which shows up in the annunciator.

I hope this was clear. Or were you pulling my leg?

In any case, thanks for your interest!

Regards,

Tom

Hi Tom,

No, I was actually serious... it would be interesting to see the Pilot's Guide for the real aircraft.

This would not be the first time that Carenado/Alabeo animated a cockpit control incorrectly.

:wink:

Bert

FWIW, it's a trivial matter for developers to add a command to disable Yaw Damper whenever the AP is disconnected.

Yes, it is an internal "FS bug" but it is simple to overcome.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi Tom,

No, I was actually serious... it would be interesting to see the Pilot's Guide for the real aircraft.

This would not be the first time that Carenado/Alabeo animated a cockpit control incorrectly.

:wink:

I just tested it on the Flight1 Mustang which has a similar G1000 avionics installation..

Nose Up reduces the target speed,  Nose Down increases it  :smile:

Bert

Bert, thanks for going to the trouble to test this.  Given the track record of Alabeo/Carenado vs. Flight One when it comes to systems authenticity, I'll have to go with the latter.  I've sent my bug list into Alabeo. Hope it does some good.

Tom

@ n4gix, thanks for your comment.  It's nice to have further confirmation!

Regards,

Tom

Thank you Murfman and JYW for your input here. I just bought this plane and have been wondering if these issues were bugs or if I was just doing something incorrectly. I am excited to read these sugestions and will give them a full test later today!

I did have some follow up questions for the community with this plane.

I wanted to see if there was anyway to bind a key command to change the autopilot's heading, speed, altitude. I would like to map these controls to my X-52pro like I do in PMDG/Aerosoft Airbus products. Since the C400 does not seem to use the FSX/P3D defualt autopilot commands I am at a bit of a loss here. Any suggestions or successes in this area?

Some feedback and tests with FLC mode.

I am noticing that I can only perform climbs in FLC mode, not descents. Can anyone else get the mode to perfrom a descnet using Murfman's instructions?

For climbs - I am level at say 3000 feet in ALT captured mode. I select a new higher altidute say 6000 and hit FLC. The plane pitches up fairly agressivly and then starts to lower the nose back down to eventually settle at a pitch that holds my selected airspeed minus 10 knots. I am noticing that the FLC mode always seems to hold a speed 10 knots less than that selected at the top of the speed tape. Not a hige deal just an observation. As the plane reaches the selcted altitude it goes from FLC (with ALTS armed) to PIT to ALT to eventually capture the selected altitude. Good!

For descents - I am level at 6000 now with ALT captured and active. I select a new lower altidue 3000 feet and hit FLC. The plane agressivly pitches up and will climb until I intervene. If I hit the Nose UP key to raise the selected airspeed the nose will lower and eventually settle at a level 0 FPM pitch while trying to accelerate to my very high airspeed I selected. If instead I go back to level flight in ALT mode and try to start my descent in VS mode I can dial in a VS -500 FPM (with ALTS armed) but if I hit the FLC button here I get the same unwanted pitch up behavior. Is this a bug? Should the FLC mode be able to do descents? Can anyone else do descents with FLC mode?