Sign in to follow this  
godimaginedme

Try 30Hz he said.....it'll be smooth he said..

I was wondering what everyone's opinion is on preferences between a 40+ inch Samsung 4k tv (curved or not curved) vs the newer 31" curved monitors from Dell/Samsung.  They are both around $900.  Also interested in everyone's opinion on the format, i.e. the 21:9 vs 16:9.  Do these monitors support 30hz?

Thanks.

Jim

What's coming out of this for me is that a monitor or TV that is 30hz capable is a must. We should build and keep a list of such devices and model numbers etc that people are successfully using so that anyone in the market for a display upgrade can ensure they don't spend cash on something that doesn't do the business for them?

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

If I decided to run my screen at a lower resolution, I would see 30hz as an option.

Possibly.

Try it and see.

I'm running my Samsung 4K at 30Hz.

The option is available in NVCP.

What model Samsung do you have?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

What's coming out of this for me is that a monitor or TV that is 30hz capable is a must.

I'd expand that to a monitor that can do both 30Hz and 60Hz at 4K and still look as good at both refresh rates.  My Monitor has actually been discontinued by Sony but you can still find them.  When I purchased it, how well it looked at 30Hz and 60Hz was a big selling point for me (keep your receipt) ... and I'll admit, didn't really know how it would work until I got it home and figured out what it could and couldn't do and how it worked with my GPUs.

I've posted my Sony model many times but here it is again: Sony XBR49X850B.  

If I decided to run my screen at a lower resolution, I would see 30hz as an option.

Running a monitor at it's non-native resolution isn't desirable as it interpolates the image ... for best image quality you will always want to operate the monitor at it's native resolution.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi,

A G-Sync monitor is a valuable option if you own an nVidia Card. Since some drivers versions, you can enable G-Sync in windowed mode. It helps a lot.

Kind Regards

Gerard

Gerard P.

Hello Rob,

first of all thanks for your infos and helps over the internet, i found your guides / videos for P3d so useful in last few months!

I am new in this world, i am running P3D 2.5 on a 4.8Ghz 4790k - 8Gb DDR2133MHz 8-10-10-27 at 1T - 980GTX Classified. I own an ASUS PG278Q Rog Swift and running it with P3D at 2560x1440 in 144Hz on Windows 7 x64. 

At the moment i am running no NI profile, only the power management to max performance in Nvidia control panel. In P3D 60fps locked vsync off. I use ga aircraft and i got about 40-50fps. it seems smooth, i also use trackir, but i can see some small screen tearing (not so bad but..) 

I also have G-SYNC on in my Nvidia control panel for both full screen and windowed mode, but i really don't know if it's working with p3d..

What do you think is the best config of Refresh rate, Vsync, fps limiting for my setup ??

Thanks a lot for your help

Gianluca

Hi,

G-Sync is active in your Nvidia Control Panel ?

If it is, you can choose "In Full screen Mode" or in "Full Screen and Windowed"

To make it works with P3D you have to choose "Full Screen & Windowed".

When done, in P3D, you must desactivate VSync.

Gérard

Gerard P.

Hi Rob!

I did some more testing today.  In the Phillips BDM4065UC built in firmware menu, it's possible to select DisplayPort version 1.1 and 1.2. By default, the monitor runs in 1.1 mode, but I changed it to 1.2 to run at 60hz. What I did today, was to revert it back to 1.1, which made 4K @ 30Hz the maximum in NCP. (Possible selectable values are 30 and 29).

P3D is very smooth, alhough the input lag on the mouse and keyboard are in the 500ms region, and really anoying:/

One interesting difference in your MCP and mine, is that in DP 1.2 mode, the 4K resolution (listed as 4K) only gives 29hz, but if the same resolution is selected under "PC", NCP lets me select 3840x2160 (native) at 60hz (also the NCP default). All color and dynamic range formats are selectable, regardless of Hz on this monitor.

For the record - no SweetFX or reshade is in use in my configuration. Will try a fresh install of Windows next.

I have none of those issues with my setup per my video earlier in this thread, you can see I'm switching from 30 hz to 60 hz to 30 hz has no impact of UI performance (either desktop or in-game). My hunch is there is something else at play here ... but I can assure you 30Hz can be a VERY smooth experience even with TrackIR.

Maybe if you folks posted videos of your desktop NCP settings, NI if you're using NI, and what you do to set refresh HZ and your graphics setting P3D ... my assumption is no one is using reshader or sweetfx or other tools that replace DXGI which could definitely skew the issue?

Cheers, Rob.

Tried again running mine at 30mhz...

Bingo....sweet,fluid,no stutters and no input lag..and looks amazing..

LG 49" 4K TV..HDMI 2.0 INPUT

Dave

One interesting difference in your MCP and mine, is that in DP 1.2 mode, the 4K resolution (listed as 4K) only gives 29hz, but if the same resolution is selected under "PC", NCP lets me select 3840x2160 (native) at 60hz (also the NCP default). All color and dynamic range formats are selectable, regardless of Hz on this monitor.

I don't know what you mean by "under PC" ... do you have screenshot?

Per my video earlier, what you are changing in NCP is under Display - Change Resolution section (you should not need to adjust anything else beyond that section).  The Output color format and Output dynamic range may change based on what your GPU supports, your connection type (HDIM 1.x,2.x, DisplayPort 1.1, 1.2) along with what the monitor supports AFTER you hit apply -  look at my video closely you can see that at 60Hz, hit apply, the output color format and output dynamic range changes from RGB to YCbCr420 with Output dynamic range = limited.  Also take NOTE that YCbCr420 isn't actually an option when I first enter the screen (YCbCr422 and YCbCr444) ... that's because those values are populated based on my CURRENT refresh rate and what my GPU/Monitor support.  

Other than slight difference in time used in my two videos of 30Hz and 60Hz, I really can't tell the difference between RGB full and YCbCr420 from a color perspective only ... technically YCbCr420 should be slightly lower quality than RGB full or YCbCr422 and/or YCbCr444 ... but in practical viewing it's really not significant.

Tried again running mine at 30mhz...

I think you mean 30Hz :)

Cheers, Rob.

Hi,

G-Sync is active in your Nvidia Control Panel ?

If it is, you can choose "In Full screen Mode" or in "Full Screen and Windowed"

To make it works with P3D you have to choose "Full Screen & Windowed".

When done, in P3D, you must desactivate VSync.

Gérard

Hi Gerard, thanks for your reply.

yes the g-sync is already set for full screen and windowed mode and i have vsync off in p3d, but i still getting small tearing..

Apply Rob's advices

If you can achieve a constant 40FPS+ try to lock@41. Your monitor will stay @40Hz and it should be smooth.

Gerard

Gerard P.

Hey guys I am having the same issue on a 60hz 46 inch tv

Changing refresh rate on monitor to 30hz running unlimited fps vsync and tripple buffer on

During take off i notice a lot of lag

I switch back to 60hz same settings I get Microstutters

Thanks

Mike

Smooth as silk "WE SAID" ... hehe

Cheers, Rob.