Sign in to follow this  
Rivet

6700K - Does this about right?

Typed too fast... title was supposed to be "does this sound about right?"

It is time for new computers so I went down to the computer store I deal with (good past experiences) and ordered the components which included a i7-6700K for each computer (I live in Canada). This was last week and they told me it would be 1 or 2 weeks to get all the components. They phoned back today and said the supplier they deal with is backordered for 10,000 units of the 6700K. He said at the very earliest I would get the 6700's is a couple of months and it could be more.  He says they deal with one of the 3 biggest suppliers in Canada and I was welcome to look around but he said it is highly likely I would run into the same news elsewhere.  He did mention that the supplier had said Intel has run into problems in North America with the 6700k. I have checked other Canadian retailers and, even though they say the product is in stock, as far as I can tell no one actually has one to sell (everyone is back-ordered). Does this sound right to others?

Newgg usually notes when a part is backordered and they aren't showing the I7-6700K I see as backordered. Microcenter is showing 10 in stock, though I haven't known their inventory to be very accurate.

Thanks Oracle...

Newegg was one of the places that had "in Stock" but I have found references from folks who said they ordered while in stock and they are back-ordered presently. I looked at MicroCenter and you are right, but it says "in-store only - 1 per household". Unfortunately I have no location close. 

Rivet,

For what it's worth, Newegg has the 6700k in stock. I just ordered one last night.

NAX669.png

Newegg.ca and .com will be different suppliers and also with the CDN $ the way it is, buying anything from the US will hit you about 35% harder.

NCIX shows that they have 120 6700K's at the Suppliers Warehouse in YYZ. Backlogs happen, very similar when any big new CPU/GPU arrives on the scene. The GTX970s and 980's were about a 2 month wait before they came in by the masses.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Thanks for the input guys,

I tried NCIX (phoned) and they said they were back-ordered. I will try Newegg given mwilk's experience (I had read they were really back ordered but if you got one last might it is certainly worth a try). 

i was in the same mess when my rig fried, i had to start from scratch, i either had to go haswell with the 4790k or go with the newest with the 6600k because the 6700k was nowhere to be found,i ended up buying the 6600k and overclocking it to 4.4 ghz with no issue's along with a 980ti and 16 gigs of ddr4 3200mhz ram, i am up in the air with buying the 6700k now, i can play everything i throw at my pc right now, so now i am considering waiting until cannonlake, because i am sure it will work in my z170 motherboard.