Sign in to follow this  
georgetyrrell

Advice on a hair brain idea

Hello,

Building up my rig etc at the moment having been away, I'm going to upgrade to a latest ish processor and board, ram and keep my 660ti , I'll run both FSX in time but stick with fs9 as pretty much my main sim. So I bought a CD version of windows 8 this week, and my plan is to upgrade to 10 and run FSX. I didn't fsncy the idea of an OEM version of win7 so I just bit the bullet on it. I'll be purchasing two sandisk decently sized Ssd drives and it'll be a fairly decent setup. So, I've a chance to come upon a copy of XP pro 64 bit, and having discovered recently that you can run two operating systems on the same PC, would I better running fs9 on the XP pro 64 bit , and having Win10 for everything else ? What's the ideal OS for fs9? Would the later Operating system run the modern hardware better than the XP pro would run the sim if you get me?

Regards

George

Go for the dual boot option. FS9 was designed for XP, it will run OK on Vista and 7 but there are issues with 8 and 10.

And there's good enough gains still using modern processors, graphics cards, drives on XP 64 bit? It will allow me to use all of the 6gb of ram I've had for ages and never been able to take advantage of because I've still XP 32bit on my PC! I could never move on from it! Brilliant to hear that. Thanks A32xx

IMHO Win7 is the best choice for FS9 at the moment.

XP is very outdated, Vista was one of the worst Windows in terms of gaming experience, 8 and 10 are very bad on driver support and running older games such as FS9.

I've been running FSX and FS9 without problems on Win7 for years.

That's my experience only of course, you may have better luck with different systems.

Have bought 8 now so choices are those two. Although I know you're entitled to downgrade your OS legally from Microsoft, it's s pain in the hoop to do it I think.