Sign in to follow this  
Rhinozherous

Black Squares in the Sky

Hey Pilots!

I have strange black squares in my FSX sky, see link to screenshots:

https://goo.gl/photos/PijotKsZkryxtLS8A

Today I updated REX Softclouds but I think I had this problem before (but wiht less squares, just one over EHAM) and couldnt find any topics to this.

Anyone know this problem, and maybe a solution?

Thank you,

Klaus Schmitzer

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

A missing texture, perhaps?

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Hello Klaus,

I knew the problem - installed a new graphics card and no problems any more.

It has imho to do with the workload that is too heavy for the graphics.

You could try to maximise FPS at 30 ; tweak your graphics (sliders to the left as much as possible) ; and be careful with demanding airports (for instance Aerosoft EHAM).

My PC Intel i7-3770 3,4 GHz , Nvidia Geforce GTX 650.

Good luck.

Ben

Hmm could be, but it is strange that this problem suddenly appeared a few flights before. Nothing changed, only todays update of soft clouds...

Thanks,

Klaus Schmitzer

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

Looks like the textures for the cirrus clouds is missing. If you have REX Texture Direct or Overdrive etc. you could try to install the cirrus textures again.

Looks like the textures for the cirrus clouds is missing. If you have REX Texture Direct or Overdrive etc. you could try to install the cirrus textures again.

I just have softclouds for the clouds and for other textures I use AS2012 (but weather via ASN). Will trie to reinstall clouds!

Thank you,

Klaus Schmitzer

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

I have now re-installed clouds via AS2012 and after that also the softclouds (both because I am not sure if softclouds contains cirrus). 

And in a short first look where no black squares  :good:

Thank you guys for hints!

Klaus Schmitzer

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

Did you remember to delete the appropriate shaders folder after installing the REX update?

Hmm could be, but it is strange that this problem suddenly appeared a few flights before. Nothing changed, only todays update of soft clouds...

Thanks,

Just a thought, how is the GPU temp? 

Did you remember to delete the appropriate shaders folder after installing the REX update?

Never heard of this :-) sounds interesting, what is it?

Just a thought, how is the GPU temp?

Dont know the number, but normal I think. Do you guess about an hardware problem?

Klaus Schmitzer

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

After installing new textures, or effects, it is sometimes necessary to delete the shaders that are created by fsx in order for those new textures/effects to display properly. On startup, FSX will recreate these shaders, referencing the new textures. 

The shaders folder for fsx is found in: C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX\Shaders 

regards, Craig

After installing new textures, or effects, it is sometimes necessary to delete the shaders that are created by fsx in order for those new textures/effects to display properly. On startup, FSX will recreate these shaders, referencing the new textures. 

The shaders folder for fsx is found in: C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX\Shaders 

regards, Craig

Will do this! Thank you very much!

Klaus Schmitzer

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

Dont know the number, but normal I think. Do you guess about an hardware problem?

Typically at start up mine is at 30C, if it goes above 80C I get worried. 90C plus is deadly, but you will see artifacts before it dies in most cases. I take my case apart every three months and check the fans and clean out any dust bunnies that might accumulate. Is this the problem, maybe, but better safe than sorry. As Craig suggest, rebuilding your Shader Cache every now and then is also good preventative maintenance. 

Here's a how to and why link.