Sign in to follow this  
gingerterry

New MSE 4x

All wait as 2.0 does the job for me and higher resolution means need more HD drive diminishing returns with photoscenery 1m or less is futile unless you have 500tb hard drive.

After an initial investment of several hundred dollars into the MSE 2.0 series, I do not honestly see myself breaking open the piggy bank to get what I feel should have been delivered from the beginning. Granted, there are several states I'm very happy with in my collection which had quality 50cm source material to begin with, but several were delivered subpar and exhibted the already noted poor water masking and hackneyed blending between ultra-res and base MSE 2.0. I feel like these 4x releases - which seem like a rehash of the original source data - are being rushed to market again, just as MSE 2.0 was, in order to turn the cash crank once more in time for the 2015 holiday season. I would really appreciate longer release cycles and a more attentive eye to detail rather that cashing in on the output of a giant batch script.

I've been drifting away from photoscenery a bit and towards FSGlobal, Vector, and Landclass and deploying the best of my MSE photoscenery in select areas where I fly most often. External load times and storage also make global 4x coverage somewhat prohibitive.

J

Looking at the size of Florida 4x, 64GB.  The original was 25gb.  When you go from 1.2meter resolution to 60cm resolution, you increase the size by 4x.  It should be 100Gb.  There is no magic compression that will maintain the original 60 cm resolution.  They may say it's 60cm (actually they are saying 50cm which is inaccurate) but it probably more like 80cm resolution quality when you add in compression they are doing.  The short of it, compression causes loss.

I've done my fair share of 60cm photoscenery.  Even with the slight compression caused by Fsearthtiles and now G2XPL, the quality is still much better than what I'm seeing from these early images of Florida.

The color certainly looks better however.

It's too bad they don't release their scenery for X-plane.  X-plane is just made for photoscenery and so much easier to add buildings and trees on top of it.

how much is the water masking improved please chris? (this being the prime reason I refused to buy any MSE product- and you couldnt pay me to take it until its fixed!) Cheers k

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas14 3200 DDR4; RTX3090

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

how much is the water masking improved please chris? (this being the prime reason I refused to buy any MSE product- and you couldnt pay me to take it until its fixed!) Cheers k

Hi Kevin,

i can tell you first hand i personally brought up the water masking issues,

i know they have taken it to heart; to what extent i can’t judge at this point in time; ill have to run a test first,

but you can clearly see the masking is different in v4, even from their sample images you can see some with new water masking and proper water coloring

Most probably just a typo: 1x Florida was 25 GB, 4x is 46 GB in download size. I will be very selective about 4x purchases.

I don’t think its a typo, I’d expect FL @50cm to weigh at least 50GB

Please can you ask them to look at Northern Ireland, Chris? With proper watermasking, high resolution terrain mesh (at least 10 metres), no visible default scenery, and attention to detail for all of the coastline, a Northern Ireland package would sell by the bucketload in the UK.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I started doing an area of Northern Ireland in 60cm and it is gorgeous.  But I got bored.  Maybe I'll look into it again.  Autogen, custom building and trees.

Please can you ask them to look at Northern Ireland, Chris?

Happy to help if I can; ill see what I can do to help :)

no longer need Ultra-Res Cities, Jacksonville, Miami, Orlando and Tampa  ?

no longer need Ultra-Res Cities, Jacksonville, Miami, Orlando and Tampa  ?

Let's see:

Orland - 14 GB

Tampa - 8 GB

Jacksonville - 7GB

Miami - 12 GB

Total = 41 GB among 4 cities.

but

new Florida 4X is only a total of 64GB.

I think its clear that Florida 4X is not true 60cm, and the detail you see in the ultra res will not be the same in the 4X states.  I had high hopes for this new series of release, but now I just don't know. 

I will tell you that I did 80% of Switzerland in 60cm and it is over 150 GB.  Florida is bigger than Switzerland.  MSE advertising is so blatantly false it's kin to being a con. 

It would be nice if someone who bought Florida 4X posted screenshots. The website pictures are not really convincing, e. g. the Florida keys look better with a 30cm Tileproxy run.

Of course, I'd also appreciate better examples from the developer. 

Hans

The only thing that would get my attention would be hand placed scenery and autogen.

Vic green