Sign in to follow this  
gingerterry

New MSE 4x

Xplane does a very nice job of doing autogen trees and buildings on top of photoscenery.  Check out "GB Pro".  It's all free of course.  It uses OSM data to put buildings and trees precisely where they need to be.  And its a cinch to setup and install.  All you need to do is provide your own photoscenery.

This is what 60cm photoscenery should look like with proper autogen and trees.  I spent weeks creating the whole of Switzerland at 60 cm scenery with fsearthtiles.   If I can do this, then certainly MSE can.   I simply do not have the means of hosting over 150 GB of data.  Full trees, full autogen.  Full surrealness.

LdKzRyC.pngPHGusX4.pngXy5qJp1.png

Why not put it out on torrent? I'd help seed it...

cheers k

its coming :)

Chris you are a complete tease! please let us have more details when you are able :P k

ps p3d3 improved vas handling will hopefully allow much more use of this kind of scenery? :)

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas14 3200 DDR4; RTX3090

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Great, just great. This is what the future of photoscenery could be. I never managed to get acquainted with fsearthtiles but know that you can get similar results with g2xpl for x-plane. If we had someone investing time and skills to make a handier tool (for a fee of course) we could be looking forward to more sceneries like this. Yes, seasons are nice but the real feel to it is great. Too bad that the development of tileproxy ceased.

Hans

Chris you are a complete tease! please let us have more details when you are able :P k

you know i would if i could :wink:

I'd sure like to know too! 

Can you at least elaborate on how it works compared to the current tech?  Does it generate generic autogen on top PS based on OSM data?

no, and yes!  (but that’s all i can say atm)

more details will be available November 1st

I've used Florida 4X for the past couple of days, and I'm just not impressed.  I can only appreciate the scenery when looking immediately down, within a mile from my airplane.  Anything further out is extremely blurry to where I suffer eye strain.  My system (new Skylake setup) runs Orbx perfectly, but it can't handle this for whatever reason.  My settings are as Megascenery recommends.  To settle the earlier confusion, it is 46Gb in size, not 64Gb.  I'm looking for something like what "fscottee" posted above, those images are super gorgeous.  

Then you'll need:

fsearthtiles - to download map data at 60cm, and automatically converts it to bgl files for FSX/P3D

scenproc - does everything you need.  Adds autogen buildings and trees based on OSM data, as well as any .shp data, land use data.. etc.. It is an awesome program for free. find it at fsdevelopers.

Its not difficult.  Only as good as the data you can find.

@Curt,

you may need to adjust your FFTF settings and LDO radius to get little better rendering, (extend LOD to 8-9)

if its hard for your CPU to push this all the way through; try disabling the last LOD,

the new Prepar3D v3.0 should be able to manage this efficiently,

( in the file name there's number representing the LOD)

Chris, I was under the impression the LOD radius in v3 was still limited and could not be set (even manually) to 8 or 9.....or am I wrong? cheers k

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas14 3200 DDR4; RTX3090

xaP1VAU.png

i believe you are wrong Kevin,

it is still limited to max of 12 (inherited from FSX likely);

if im not mistaken the max slider now in P3D is now 9 LOD natively!

edit:

just checked it is still 4.5 native in v3.0 as well

(still can be manually extended, if you make changes inside the CP it will revert to 4.5)

[TERRAIN]

LOD_RADIUS=4.500000

the school of thought behind this is to allow the CPU to preload the distant terrain with enough time in advance;

in order to not stress the CPU loading too quickly as you pass over a tile, this will require more VAS usage;

but will relieve the stress of the CPU and render a more deep and vivid picture,

allot goes into factor with PR sets; especially HD,

to achieve vivid colors and depth; one needs to have a decent if not a professional monitor calibration

you also need to force settings!

one can and should consider the use of SimStarter to set these advance parameter with each Sim startup profile,

while developing I use a simple batch script to overwrite my cfg file with a backed up one; each time I start my sim to make sure my setting are preserved,

i have this sitting in FSX root called FSX.bat; this is my startup shortcut instead to fsx.exe

in my user profile dir i made a backup folder called backup containing the cfg with the setting i like,

cd %appdata%\Microsoft\FSX\Backup
copy "%appdata%\Microsoft\FSX\Backup\fsx.cfg" "%appdata%\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.cfg" /a
start "" "D:\FSX\fsx.exe"
net stop uxsms
net start uxsms

i believe you are wrong Kevin,

it is still limited to max of 12 (inherited from FSX likely);

if im not mistaken the max slider now in P3D is now 9 LOD natively!

edit:

just checked it is still 4.5 native in v3.0 as well

(still can be manually extended, if you make changes inside the CP it will revert to 4.5)

[TERRAIN]

LOD_RADIUS=4.500000

will check that then, I thought I'd read somewhere that v3 didnt respond to that out of sim cfg mod. Rob A perhaps has the definitive on that? Rob?

Thanks K

xaP1VAU.png

@Curt,

if its hard for your CPU to push this all the way through; try disabling the last LOD,

I'm not sure what this means, disabling last LOD.  What I have done is changed my LOD from 4.5 to 8.0, applied the FFTF tweak, limited frame rate to 30 and deactivated other sceneries.  None of these changes reduced the blurries in Florida 4X.  I can run all Orbx scenery (which includes photoscenery) with great clarity, but for whatever reason Megascenery doesn't portray properly.  My old Q9300 computer actually performed better with Illinois 2.0.  Oh well, it's weird examples like mine that keep support forums busy. 

Hi Curt,

MSE usually render each LOD on its own,

if you go through their files you will notice the grouping

each group is a single LOD (from 13 and up); you can try to remove the last LOD files to a temp location so they dont load

Q9300... I’m sorry but you’re years behind with your hardware,

i can only imagine the peripheral hardware is as "distinguished" as the CPU,

(http://www.cpubenchmark.net/ your CPU is in the mid range table today)

I’ll go out on a limb and say probably your monitor too, they all could probably use a refresh;

you will get a significant differences in visuals as well,

what are you rendering with for GPU?

And what are your textures max load settings?