Sign in to follow this  
Capt Speirs

FTX KPSP elevation issue

When I first installed FTX KPSP it had no issues at all. I did not have FTX Global Base, didn't need it. Now for some reason I have an elevation issue. I recently changed my mesh from SceneryTech to Freemesh X Global. Thinking that may have caused the issue, I turned it off and SceneryTech back on, no difference. I checked for duplicate AFCADs as I have before and found none. I have My Traffic 6, however those AFCADs are turned off.  

Thanks for taking time to help.

2015-9-26_23-5-31-956.png

2015-9-27_0-20-49-637.png

2015-9-26_22-46-6-720.png

You've tried recycling FTX Central from Global to NA and back etc? Looks like a layering issue or maybe a misplaced _ALT file.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

I have no idea what FTX Central is. I only own one FTX product and that is KPSP. What is a "_ALT" file? I am ORBX challenged, but you new that already.  :blink:

Hmm, ok. How about another duplicate ade or afcad for PSP? Aside for the MyTraffic one that you've already removed, could there be another one?

When I first installed FTX KPSP it had no issues at all. I did not have FTX Global Base, didn't need it. Now for some reason I have an elevation issue. I recently changed my mesh from SceneryTech to Freemesh X Global. Thinking that may have caused the issue, I turned it off and SceneryTech back on, no difference. I checked for duplicate AFCADs as I have before and found none. I have My Traffic 6, however those AFCADs are turned off.  

Thanks for taking time to help.

2015-9-26_23-5-31-956.png

2015-9-27_0-20-49-637.png

2015-9-26_22-46-6-720.png

From the OrbX website, KPSP requires FTX Global Base to correct the elevations. 

https://www.fullterrain.com/product/kpsp

Scroll to the bottom.

Hmm, ok. How about another duplicate ade or afcad for PSP? Aside for the MyTraffic one that you've already removed, could there be another one?

There are no duplicate ADEs or AFCADs.

Scroll to the bottom.

Again, I didn't need Global Base before and I am not going to spend $100 to make a $20 airport work.

I have just solved the problem...reinstalled KPSP and now all is as it was once before. 

Thank you guys for your efforts.

2015-9-27_18-50-37-283.png

OH that's good news, was going to be the next suggestion.. Side note, Global base is a texture replacement, it does nothing to elevations.

Scroll to the bottom.

Global Base is not required to run this or other airports they designed as Global airports, even though the product page says it's required.

Global Base is only required to ensure that the color blending at the edge of the perimeter of the scenery blends with the ground textures outside.

As Dave mentioned, FTX Global is more of less just a ground texture replacement product and has nothing to do with elevations or vector data. They put the requirement as Global being required so that customers don't complain that the edge of the scenery doesn't blend well with GEX or default ground textures, and of course is partly marketing since they want to see more copies of Global.

The one thing that is required though is that you download the latest FTX libraries to ensure that any object that are placed at KPSP or surrounding the area that don't come with the KPSP download are available. By installing the libraries you will also pickup FTX Central.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The one thing that is required though is that you download the latest FTX libraries to ensure that any object that are placed at KPSP or surrounding the area that don't come with the KPSP download are available. By installing the libraries you will also pickup FTX Central.

Excellent point! Without the libraries, the scenery is not nearly complete.

Global Base is not required to run this or other airports they designed as Global airports, even though the product page says it's required.

Global Base is only required to ensure that the color blending at the edge of the perimeter of the scenery blends with the ground textures outside.

As Dave mentioned, FTX Global is more of less just a ground texture replacement product and has nothing to do with elevations or vector data. They put the requirement as Global being required so that customers don't complain that the edge of the scenery doesn't blend well with GEX or default ground textures, and of course is partly marketing since they want to see more copies of Global.

It would be appropriate for FTX to mention it is only necessary to get the full affect of the scenery and not blatantly say "you need it" after all it is $100 extra. Wonder how many sales they lost on airports because of that tactic? 

I agree with Ric's comments in post #10.

When the Global airports were released, I was deterred from buying them because of the warning on the product pages that "This product requires you to have the following installed:", the "following" being "FTX Global Base". This was because I don't have Global.

For sentimental historical reasons, I really wanted AYPY Jacksons Intl in Port Moresby PNG.

I finally took the plunge and found that it worked satisfactorily for me in the absence of Global.

I subsequently went on and bought the other payware Global airports and also installed many of the payware ones, with a similar outcome. In fact, there is one Global airport where posters on the FTX Forum were complaining about an effect at the end of the runway in Global which I had not experienced using FSX Default scenery in that area.

If I had not felt compelled to take the risk on AYPY, Orbx would have missed out on eight sales to me of its payware Global airports. That illustrates only a small component of what I suspect the answer to Ric's quesation is.

Gary

It would be appropriate for FTX to mention it is only necessary to get the full affect of the scenery and not blatantly say "you need it" after all it is $100 extra. Wonder how many sales they lost on airports because of that tactic?

Well, Jarred Marshall who has made KPSP and either all or some of the other Global airports has said in the FTX forums that they can be used without Global, but that they have only been tested and developed using Global and they can't be responsible for color blending at the edges of the sceneries with either GEX, default or photoreal scenery.

I agree that they shouldn't say that Global is required when it isn't but in their minds, Global is required to ensure color blending, but that is all that Global is required for.

I'm sure they won't change the website though because they want to sell more copies of Global and don't want people who don't have it to be complaining in their forums that the colors at the edge of the scenery don't blend well with GEX or other textures that they don't make.

Also, of note, some of the other "region only" airports work fine without having the regions installed. I have the Lake Tahoe airport installed without thr region it belongs to as well as Jackson Hole installed without its region and it works fine as well. Granted the color blending at the edges isn't perfect, its close enough.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator