Sign in to follow this  
FlyBaby

Help with installing W2XP_America

Hi,

I downloaded x2wp_America, which directed me to download the following...

- OpenSceneryX (http://www.opensceneryx.com/)
- R2 Library (http://r2.xpl.cz/)
- FF Library (http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=12836)
- world-models library (http://simheaven.com/?wpfb_filepage=w2xp_world-models-7z)

I downloaded the 4 additionsl files, unzipped them and placed all 5 folders in my Xplane\custom scenery folder.

I read on http://world2xplane.com/2014/03/12/quick-start-guide/ that I needed to run World2XPlane32.exe and select a pbf file.

My questions

1) What pbf file is the directions referring to? I dont seem to have one for America (found this)

2) How large will the genrated scenery be on the hard drive for w2xp_America?

3) Is there a performance impact? I currently get 30fps stuutter free flights in most rural areas and small ciites.

4) is there an easy way to delete or restore my defaul scenery?

Thanks for any help with this!

2) How large will the genrated scenery be on the hard drive for w2xp_America?

Not sure.  Haven't tried US stuff yet.

3) Is there a performance impact? I currently get 30fps stuutter free flights in most rural areas and small ciites.

This will probably depend on your system and the amount of OSM data for the given area you're flying in and if you have OSM only or the version with autogen.

4) is there an easy way to delete or restore my defaul scenery?

Just simply remove the folder(s) from your custom scenery folder that you added and no longer wish to use and you'll be back to where you were before installing them.  You might also have to remove the entries from scenery_packs.ini too.  I'm not sure though.  I know X-Plane will automatically add things to this file on its own but not sure if it will remove them on its own.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

You can easily disable a scenery pack without deleting it by opening up scenery_packs.ini and changed SCENERY_PACK to SCENERY_PACK_DISABLED next to the entry.

I'd recommend you grab the premade copy from simheaven first, it will give you an idea of how it will perform on your system. If you're happy with it, you can then generate your own scenery and tweak it as you like.

Generating North American yourself takes quite some time and will require about 8GB of RAM at a minimum. Last time I tried to generate the US, it took me all day.

Some cities are well populated and there are several major data migrations going on at the moment, but rural areas are almost completely empty. The problem is a two-edged sword, as cities have too many buildings causing a slowdown, and rural areas have no buildings. So you will almost certainly have to lower you X-Plane settings to get decent performance. For the US, I'd recommend enabling smart-exclusions in the config file so you get X-Plane's autogen in empty areas.

You can easily disable a scenery pack without deleting it by opening up scenery_packs.ini and changed SCENERY_PACK to SCENERY_PACK_DISABLED next to the entry.

I'd recommend you grab the premade copy from simheaven first, it will give you an idea of how it will perform on your system. If you're happy with it, you can then generate your own scenery and tweak it as you like.

Generating North American yourself takes quite some time and will require about 8GB of RAM at a minimum. Last time I tried to generate the US, it took me all day.

Some cities are well populated and there are several major data migrations going on at the moment, but rural areas are almost completely empty. The problem is a two-edged sword, as cities have too many buildings causing a slowdown, and rural areas have no buildings. So you will almost certainly have to lower you X-Plane settings to get decent performance. For the US, I'd recommend enabling smart-exclusions in the config file so you get X-Plane's autogen in empty areas.

Thanks

I get an error when running world2xplane.exe

"Unable to resume, OSM file is different from source used to generate."

I also have a problem with the W2XP simheaven pre-made scenery.  I downloaded the newish single pre-made 'America' package with all the correct libraries and I get an error during load for a missing object.  I think it references something in the default x-plane object library (lib/industrial/xxxx), but it can't locate it.  I'm running the latest 10.40 release candidate.  I'll try to post the actual log file.

Get the World Library, latest version, from the World2XP ( at the bottom of the page, under Libraries ) site because there is some problem with the one at SimHeaven.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I think that object might be from the FFLibrary, so make sure you have that installed. All deps listed in the link jcomm posted

Thanks for the responses thus far....

I have the latest "World Models v0.7.3 from (2nd July 2015)" from w2xp,

Now the world2xplane.exe program never gets beyond the "First Pass" part of the program and the folder it creates is only about 110mb after running more than 18 hours.

I wish someone could post a ready made region for America and have us download it without this process that doesn't seem to have a straightforward method to create the scenery.

SimHeaven has it:

here: http://simheaven.com/?page_id=3260

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Thanks Jcomm,

I have that, but I was trying to build the entire region using the .pbf file from http://download.geofabrik.de or are you saying that W2XP_America is the entire region? I thought I had to generate the region with world2xplane.exe and the pbf file.

My original title / post is misleading as I am not sure what all of the components mean.

I think that object might be from the FFLibrary, so make sure you have that installed. All deps listed in the link jcomm posted

Sorry to thread hijack, but I saw something about W2XP and I was having some issues too.

Yes, this fixed it thanks.  I had the ff_extended_lod that I guess worked with a previous version.  

Also, there's something that has bothered me about the W2XP scenery.  Don't get me wrong, I won't fly without it now...it's great!  But, at night in large cities it looks like a techno rave with strobes flashing like crazy on downtown skyscraper buildings.  Is there a way to turn this off or tone it down somehow or is that built into the objects?

Sorry to thread hijack, but I saw something about W2XP and I was having some issues too.

Yes, this fixed it thanks.  I had the ff_extended_lod that I guess worked with a previous version.  

Also, there's something that has bothered me about the W2XP scenery.  Don't get me wrong, I won't fly without it now...it's great!  But, at night in large cities it looks like a techno rave with strobes flashing like crazy on downtown skyscraper buildings.  Is there a way to turn this off or tone it down somehow or is that built into the objects?

Real Terra Haze allows you to control light intensity.

But, at night in large cities it looks like a techno rave with strobes flashing like crazy on downtown skyscraper buildings

Ha ha yes, this is the obstacle-lights setting in the config file. It doesn't work too well when skyscrapers are made up of many parts which they are in places like NY. You can disable it and regenerate the area. By default, I'll leave it off in the next version, because it's one of those features that seemed nice at the time, but doesn't work too well :-)

have that, but I was trying to build the entire region using the .pbf file from

If you have the file from Simheaven for America, then you don't need to generate anything yourself. Simheaven have already done it for you, and they also cleaned up the file removing duplicate objects from the data.

Thanks Tonywob,

The Simheaven generated scenery looks great. But your last post "kind of" puts me back to square one. I also want to get rid of the obstacle-lights, so I need to regenerate the region using the pbf file that never really worked for me using world2xplane.exe. The program seem to rune for 18 hours stuck in the first pass stage.

Can you help me with this process?

How much memory does your computer have?

Also, when it was running, did it show any error messages (or anything at all) in the main window?