Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Total flown distance

Is there an easy way in the NGX to monitor your total flown distance from takeoff to touchdown?

Richard Åsberg

Odd question... I had to think about it. Honestly, in 40+ years of actual flying I've never paid much attention to distance. Time is a different matter.  Times importance is right up there with fuel in the tank and altitude below you.

The PFPX flight planner will provide a nice .txt file containing distance information. I use it on B77L long haul trips all the time to track time and fuel.

Dan Downs KCRP

Well...glad to hear I was able to come up with a question causing you to have to think twice after 40+ years of actual flying :wink:

Reason I ask is one of the fields of the PIREP I'm required to fill in at the end of each flight for the VA I'm flying for is distance and it's always hard to come up with anything but a rough estimate.

Richard Åsberg

Reason I ask is one of the fields of the PIREP I'm required to fill in at the end of each flight for the VA I'm flying for is distance and it's always hard to come up with anything but a rough estimate.

This is something they should be able to calculate without difficulty - I would never trust my users to come up with this number with any semblance of accuracy.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

If you fly the FMC flight route to the letter then you can use the flight distance shown on the PROGress page which should be reconciled with the OFP pre-flight. Otherwise you'll need to run a data recording software like FS flight keeper etc.

Brian Nellis

Thanks for the input guys.

I know there's software out there that can do the job but was hoping maybe I could find it somewhere hidden in the FMC. Will have a look at the progress page though as suggested by Copper.

My VPA already calculates the actual flown distance very exactly and I can check out that value and lots of other statistics once a flight has been validated so I'm really not sure why they ask me to fill in that value in the PIREP considering the value will be nothing but a rough estimation on my part.

Richard Åsberg

What are they using that parameter for?  If they are using it to judge experience it's not very relevant.

I'm not really sure. I asked but didn't get any definitive answers and the founder of the VA is not very active anymore the way I understood it, otherwise I guess he could have answered the question.

Richard Åsberg

I use FSACARS for this purpose (same VA). It's free and does the job.

Marc ter Heide