Sign in to follow this  

Some help with college planing and aviation career

Above all, do not go to law school.  It is a $200,000 mistake.

Unfortunately, college has become real expensive and the benefits of going are questionable.  With college tuition running at $25,000 to $50,000 per year, it is quite easy to leave college with over $100,000 in non-dischargeable student loan debt.  For most people, this means being in debt peonage for the rest of your life.

This sort of debt will make it extremely difficult to buy a house or a car, save for retirement or start a family.

As a rule of thumb, your anticipated first year salary should be greater than your total student loan debt.  If it isn't, you have made a mistake.

It's even worse if you land a job which does not pay well or which you hate, or both.

Be careful about whom you listen to or whom you trust.  School counselors typically have no idea about the job market.  Maybe, they have a degree in psychology, but precious little real world job experience.  A lot of people will give you extremely bad advice (like going to law school).  Other really don't have a clue what they are talking about.

I would suggest that you skip college for now and get a job in the aviation industry after high school and see if you even like it.  This will give you a chance to look around, kick the tires so to speak, talk to pilots and see how thing really work.  Many jobs do not require a college degree and in some cases, having a college degree is a disadvantage.

If you hate it, you can do something else.

If you like it, you will have a much better idea of where the jobs are at and which jobs are actually worth having.  Then you can find the right educational program to meet your goals.

The point is,  you have plenty of time and there is no reason to rush into a decision you may regret.

Hi

I am currently a senior in highschool, and I start collage planing, i do have to admit that I don't have good grades so I am thinking going to a community college and transfer to a four year college.

I herd that if pursit pilot as career it is best not to go with a degree that related to aviation field but I can't find something else that I intrested about. So I am thinking about go with aviation science degree.

My concernig is that can I transfer this degree from community college to a four year college? is this degree transferble?

I live in southern california, anyone knows what community college have advantage in aviation science?

Thank you

Let me give you some advice. The same advice my dad gave me (He was an Airline pilot for over 30 years)

Don't get a degree in an aviation related field, Because the aviation industry is volitile and you'll either get furloughed or the airline will go bust and you'll need another job in between flying gigs.

Now some advice from me.

I would try to find a college with an ROTC unit and join it. Most of the time you'll get a scholarship that will pay for your school If you do good in ROTC and do well on the flight tests your pretty much gonna get a pilot slot.

I decided to try to get in the military after college and thankfully I got a pilot slot in the Navy. The Air Force isn't the only gig if you want to fly. Just remember keep your GPA above a 3.0 and go to class it's easy as can be to slack off in college and that's why it took me 6 years to finsh a 4 year degree. Somthing I really regret now. Just plug through college and finish on time there is plenty of time to party after.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.