Sign in to follow this  
Murfman

Having Trouble with the Yaw Damper?

Hi, all,

Tim of FS Mania, when making his tutorial/review of the Phenom 100 mentioned that he leaves the Yaw Damper alone because he can rarely disengage it, even when he turns it off, and it doesn't show up any longer on the annunciator at the top of the PFD.  I noticed the same thing when using the Phenom 300.

While trying to learn the tricks of Alabeo's new C400 Corvalis,  I was having a similar problem.  After using the autopilot I found that I had almost no rudder control on landing, something which is really noticeable in that plane because it doesn't have nose wheel steering.  Now, while it's true that the C400 doesn't have a yaw damper, there is a similar kind of problem going on here.

Well, you might be glad to know that there is a fix for the problem, both on the Corvalis , the Phenom 300, and probably for the P100, although I haven't actually tried it on that plane yet.

A nice, helpful fellow with the handle JYW came to the rescue.  He said there is a known bug with FSX's yaw damper, and that there is a work-around by using a key press. The default key press for toggling the yaw damper is Ctrl D.  I tried this on both planes, and I am happy to say that it worked!

Happy Flying

Tom

What works for me in the Phenom 300 is to turn on YD before turning on the AP, and turning AP off, then YD. With AP active the YD button becomes unresponsive.

Thanks for this. If I first press CTRL-D I am then able to use the YD pushbutton on the autopilot. We'll see if it stays active thru an entire flight.

Question. If this is an FSX bug why haven't I had this problem with other (non-Carenado) aircraft?

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

That may be a good fix, but I think a lot of the problems folks are having is that they don't understand what a yaw damper does and when to not use it. It should be automatic with the AP on and off and the Carenado Phemom 300 has a backup yaw damper in case of the primary failure.

Maybe just skip the test of the YD on the ground and go fly.

(btw, my installation of the Phenom 300 show a green YD on the PFD annunciator panel when turned on while on the ground without the AP on. Just like the real Phenom 300 does.)

Regards,

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .