Sign in to follow this  
steve310002

Wait for 3.0 before buying new addons?

Though I have no proof, I would think that LM are well aware of who the major "players" are in the add-on market, so it seems logical that developers like PMDG, Aerosoft, HiFi etc. probably have access to beta versions of 3.0 to help them get ready.

If so, hopefully there will not be a long wait for V3-compatible updates to come out once LM releases the new version.

That's going to decide the transitioning point for me - I've got plenty invested in P3Dv2 at this point, so I will wait for new installers and verification of portover before committing to 2.6, oops sorry. V3.

Well past the stage where I feel any need to be an `early adopter`. Look at the Win 10 fiasco. After all that, no DX12 in this new version. And L-M continue to recommend only Win 7.

Imho all of my photoscenery will work..

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

How do you know this? The file structure has been substantially altered. What you mean is you HOPE all of your photoscenery will work. Should be no reason why it won't, but if an installer isn't set to meet the new structure you might have to resort to manual installation. But you can't be sure.

I'm more interested in how ORBX manipulates the SpeedTrees v. their own and HD trees. 

I'm more interested in how ORBX manipulates the SpeedTrees v. their own and HD trees. 

Yes, that will be interesting.  I'd like to see a demo on how this new Speedtree feature works.  I currently have HD trees, but from what I understand, they are replacement textures (correct me if I'm wrong).  The trees look great though as they are with Trees HD, so perhaps a comparison in terms of resource usage would be beneficial.  Essentially, which one produces vegetation autogen the best.

I'll personally take a back seat with V3 for a while, since I just got P3D V2.5 working just right on my rig and I don't see a real need to upgrade just yet.  I'll keep my radar open for reviews and opinions of course.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Yes, that will be interesting.  I'd like to see a demo on how this new Speedtree feature works.  I currently have HD trees, but from what I understand, they are replacement textures (correct me if I'm wrong).  The trees look great though as they are with Trees HD, so perhaps a comparison in terms of resource usage would be beneficial.  Essentially, which one produces vegetation autogen the best.

I'll personally take a back seat with V3 for a while, since I just got P3D V2.5 working just right on my rig and I don't see a real need to upgrade just yet.  I'll keep my radar open for reviews and opinions of course.

-Jim

I used them in a railroad sim about 5 years ago. they do lower frame rates.  

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

-Jim

I asked about the trees on the Orbx forum and it seems those speed trees are mainly something for airport add ons. I don't expect HD trees to be replaced with speed trees, let alone FTX Global. They also hurt performance so... I guess I will stick with HD trees (which is an excellent add-on imho that surprised me a lot!)

My understanding that it would take time, probably up to Christmas, for developers to adopt the installers, so I would't rush to buy V3 at Day1. Also, keep in my that LM will be adding hotfixes as well

Hi All:

I am thinking of purchasing P3D, Academic version. Is the watermark for that version overly intrusive? Does anybody have a screenshot showing it? Which version (professional vs academic) are most people running?

Thx

P.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

Hi All:

I am thinking of purchasing P3D, Academic version. Is the watermark for that version overly intrusive? Does anybody have a screenshot showing it? Which version (professional vs academic) are most people running?

Thx

P.

Here is a random shot I found on the internet. The watermark is at the top right corner. Some don't see it, some are highly annoyed by it. :wink: I would be highly annoyed by it so luckily I had to get the Pro license anyway LOL

And the question "Which version (professional vs academic) are most people running?" is of no real importance: it doesn't matter which version people are running most: it's all about which license applies to your situation (being an Undergraduate or K-12 student or not). But take note that it's not allowed to talk about this here, so go to the P3D site and see for yourself which license is the right one for you!

cQ5xV.jpg

Do we know if the watermark in 3.0 is the same though? With the rise of UHD and beyond resolutions, I'll not be surprised if they make it bigger or have it scale according to the resolution.

Has everyone already forgotten that MS "Flight" featured SpeedTrees, and didn't seem to suffer for it?

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

My understanding that it would take time, probably up to Christmas, for developers to adopt the installers, so I would't rush to buy V3 at Day1. Also, keep in my that LM will be adding hotfixes as well

Jon V over at ORBX already stated that his team has already started to create quad installers and hope to get a lot of them completed within 30 days, so at least some good scenery will be available sooner than Christmas. :)

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit