Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

Installing 3rd Party Software into Updated Versions of P3D

With the pending release of an updated version of P3D, AVSIM members who have problems installing 3rd Party Software into updated versions of P3D should contact the vendor for instructions on how to install the software.  In most cases the vendor will have to release an updated installer.  Please do not use these forums for discussing how to modify a 3rd Party addon to make it work in a later version of P3D. 

When the new version of P3D is released, it may take some time for 3rd Party vendors to create an installer for the new version.  We recommend you keep the current version installed and install the next version in another folder if you would like to continue using your addons.  Most likely addon vendors will have new installers or instructions for installing their product(s) soon after the release of the updated P3D version.

Some 3rd Party vendors may charge a fee for providing an update to their respective software for installation into later versions of P3D.  If this is the case, it could be against the vendor’s EULAs or license agreements for you to attempt to install a current version of their product(s) into a later version of P3D.  Discussions regarding those vendors that require a new EULA and/or installer for V3 will be prohibited.

Photos and video:  Photos and videos showing 3rd Party Software whose EULA would be violated for updated versions of P3D will be removed at the discretion of our moderators. If 3rd Party vendor's software can be installed into later versions of P3D without modification then this information will be allowed and can be discussed.  Otherwise it will be removed.  

Please use this forum to discuss the update to P3D such as installation problems, P3D configurations, display driver configurations, and issues such as those relating to FPS and Virtual Address Space (VAS).  Once the 3rd Party Software products have been updated for use in later versions of P3D, you can then begin discussing the addons.

Thanks to everyone for your cooperation.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

3d party software? lol

I believe you were looking for 3rd party, right?   I had to scratch my head over that one, thinking we were on the verge of implementing cutting edge software to make the plane pop out of the screen. :)

Good thinking with this article though and hopefully, it'll cut down on the needless banter with folks wanting to hack their sims.

Thanks Jim.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

With the pending release of an updated version of P3D, AVSIM members who have problems installing 3rd Party Software into updated versions of P3D should contact the vendor for instructions on how to install the software.  ...

...Thanks to everyone for your cooperation.

Well Jim, I don't know if I do or don't have problems, but...

I've read the manual for the FSCubed Scenery Backup Tool and I see no place that they claim to handle a new OS (think registry entries - hidden and otherwise). Or, for that matter, I don't see anything indicating it will handle anything like ORBX which stores data outside of the parent FSX folder structure. Has anyone actually tried to use it?Doug

Yup; I backed up my Prepar3d v2.5 scenery files last weekend, which produced a 351GB. At a theoretical 50% compression! I am astounded to find I have almost 3/4 TERRABYTES of scenery files!!!

I backed up a And ...theoretically, I will be restoring to P3d V3.0 shortly after 12am (-5 Zulu)...I will let you know.

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Jim,

Can I ask, does this apply also to developers who have left the field?  Earth Simulations springs to mind, and people will have to modify their current (extremely good) ES scenery to work in v3, as there will be no other avenue to do so since the developer is out of business and no longer providing support...  In such a scenario, help and support provided by Avsim members could be invaluable - Could you advise please?

Thanks K

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas14 3200 DDR4; RTX3090

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Kevin - Jim can expand on this but we realize that there will be many situations that just don't "fit" the guidelines and need to be dealt with individually.

I would think that developers who are out of business present an unique situation.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

You can add Jon Patch's Vancouver 3+ and Victoria, another two masterpieces now orphaned.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I believe you were looking for 3rd party, right?

That's correct Jim.  I corrected the typo's.  Thanks for your help!

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I just purchased P3D V3 this afternoon and before being allowed to add it to my cart, I was greeted with a rather lengthy EULA which I actually read completely, taking note of add-on installs and LM's stance on it's own software.  I highly encourage everyone to actually take the time to read it.  This reinforces Jim's latest statements and comments, which are not to be taken lightly.

On a related note, I'll be having fun downloading this beast tonight. lol

-Jim

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Jim,

As you just closed a topic I started, a question for clarification: I understood your post such that avsim would not want users to discuss ways to use a 3rd party add-on with V3 before the developer gives its consent to it. This sounds reasonable to me.

However, asking about the time line, schedule or plans to make an add-on compatible by the developer would be interesting for everyone who wants to benefit from V3 now and who wants to find out an estimate of the if and when he/she can count on the availability of an updated version.

Basically, because no one can read all forums all the time, this would help users manage their expectations. If you don't want this to be shared on avsim not a problem, just let us know please. I find it always useful to share update information for the community.

Cheers

Hans

Hans

This is real simple Avsim has always had an ultra tight butthole for this stuff. If you have any questions about this there are other places on the internet that can answer them just don't ask about them here.

Well Jim, I don't know if I do or don't have problems, but...

Yup; I backed up my Prepar3d v2.5 scenery files last weekend, which produced a 351GB. At a theoretical 50% compression! I am astounded to find I have almost 3/4 TERRABYTES of scenery files!!!

I backed up a And ...theoretically, I will be restoring to P3d V3.0 shortly after 12am (-5 Zulu)...I will let you know.

Chas

351 Gb of scenery ?

Luckely I am not the only one with a lot of scenery :

- 513 SSD --> 455 Gb scenery

- 256 SSD --> 215 Gb scenery

- 128 SSD --> P3D + 30 Gb scenery

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

This is real simple Avsim has always had an ultra tight butthole for this stuff. If you have any questions about this there are other places on the internet that can answer them just don't ask about them here.

I believe, more appropriately, that if you feel you need to ask such a question, you can always send a PM. :)

-Jim

Jim,

As you just closed a topic I started, a question for clarification: I understood your post such that avsim would not want users to discuss ways to use a 3rd party add-on with V3 before the developer gives its consent to it. This sounds reasonable to me.

However, asking about the time line, schedule or plans to make an add-on compatible by the developer would be interesting for everyone who wants to benefit from V3 now and who wants to find out an estimate of the if and when he/she can count on the availability of an updated version.

Basically, because no one can read all forums all the time, this would help users manage their expectations. If you don't want this to be shared on avsim not a problem, just let us know please. I find it always useful to share update information for the community.

Cheers

Hans

We are just trying to nip the possible discussions into how you can install PMDG aircraft into v3 in the bud (they have already released their installers so that's okay now.  We are just suggesting you wait until a 3rd party developer provides instructions or an installer.  Meanwhile, you have plenty of time to play with P3Dv3 to see what it looks like.  How is it configured?  What are some new features?  What are fps like?  But, immediately everyone seems to discuss 3rd party addons and whether they are compatible or not.  Why would you want to know that?  Every 3rd party addon made for FSX and P3D v3 will be compatible.  Compatibility questions sometimes lead to EULAs but not all of the time.  Anything related to the LM EULA will be removed immediately so while people are discussing 3rd party compatibility, someone else is wondering why the LM EULA does not allow products in P3Dv2 to be automatically ported over to the new version v3 and then we have major problems.  When you bought an addon, there was a developer who made the product.  Maybe he wants to charge you for the update to v3?  Then we are going to see people mad at the developer as their EULA only allows installation into v2.5 and not for 3.0.  So, please wait until you get the word and don't go trolling for people to tell you how to make it compatible.  AVSIM forums are not going to be used for those who troll for ways to get around a developers EULA.  This is one reason why websites have moderators... to police the community to make sure people abide by the AVSIM Terms of Service.  EULAs are there and so are EULA busting.  Why can't I discuss EULA's or get upset when one does discuss how to circumvent an developer's EULA?  I know there are a lot of you who have done a lot of EULA busting in your lifetime.  It's fun.  It's like hacking.  Fun stuff.  Sometimes people break the law in their local communities just for the heck of it and it see if they can get away with it.  It's not my law that we protect EULA's.  It's the AVSIM's law (Terms of Service) that were passed by the AVSIM Board of Directors' and CEO of AVSIM (before my time). 

If you want to break the suggestions the moderators and I came up with to help you move up to v3 and continue to push for whether a product is compatible or not with the new P3D, then expect actions as our moderators deem appropriate.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Jim

Just so we're clear - L-M EULA has never proscribed retro-compatibility - indeed in V3 they've even improved merging for older FS9-based product. Issues of compatibiity are not, never were, and never will be a problem of Lockheed-Martin licensing.

The rules should ONLY be focussed on the bypassing of addon developers EULA and interpretations of proper use.

There is, as we are seeing already, quite a pressing need for a compatibility topic that discusses whether a new installer supposedly for V3 is actually compatible. I don't want to pick individual cases, but you used PMDG as the example and it is already clear that their new installer is NOT V3 compliant as it does not obey L-M's instructions on NOT pervading the core file structure. 

I would say THAT is very necessary - even vital - topic for discussion. I would also say that in a proprietary forum such topics are unlikely to remain on view for long.

Jim

Just so we're clear - L-M EULA has never proscribed retro-compatibility - indeed in V3 they've even improved merging for older FS9-based product. Issues of compatibiity are not, never were, and never will be a problem of Lockheed-Martin licensing.

The rules should ONLY be focussed on the bypassing of addon developers EULA and interpretations of proper use.

There is, as we are seeing already, quite a pressing need for a compatibility topic that discusses whether a new installer supposedly for V3 is actually compatible. I don't want to pick individual cases, but you used PMDG as the example and it is already clear that their new installer is NOT V3 compliant as it does not obey L-M's instructions on NOT pervading the core file structure. 

I would say THAT is very necessary - even vital - topic for discussion. I would also say that in a proprietary forum such topics are unlikely to remain on view for long.

+1