Sign in to follow this  
Victoroos

Any comments on what orbx will do with v3 p3d?

hello

well, the title says it all. Seeing as their last comment was on 2014, when v3 was "far away", I wonder wether people know more now. I have "only" global for now, but well money huh :P

cheers

vic

Victor Roos

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Useful to know, especially when we now know that the P3D folders are sacrosanct for addon inclusion, so the ORBX `offsite` folder method could, with a new installer, be a very appropriate choice.

Well I hope it's easier to port the airports from v2 to v3 than it was from FSX/v1 to v2. It has been *two years* since P3D v2 came out and still not all airports have been converted. Now we have to wait all over again for v3 installers.

I would gladly pay a small upgrade fee if that meant the airports will get upgraded for v3 before Prepar3D 4.0 comes out...

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I think its time to stop messing about and develop specific products for specific sims. P3Dv1 can effectively be left now as everyone has either migrated to 2 and/or 3 or presumably bought Steam FSX because it's cheap.

V3 is a new sim, so the unrealistic expectation is that ANY previous product will be carried over. Do that and then we can only be pleasantly surprised when something is, and be reasonably certain it actually is optimised for the new platform. 

We all knew this was the price for entry into the `living developer and active team` L-M universe. 

Meantime the Truth is Out There: Use the existing products in the sim for which they were designed !

Well v3 isn't a huge change compared to the v1-v2 transition. It seems to be mostly the ObjectFlow dll's that need patching, same as any P3D 2.x update. If backwards compatibility is to be completely disregarded, they would be better off designing a completely new simulator. Many of the problems with the sim are due to legacy code.

The problem is that airports and sceneries aren't disposable. If Airport A only works in FSX, and Airport B looks best in P3D v3, what am I going to do? Swittch simulators mid-flight? The value of stuff like OrbX regions is only realized when the complete experience is available.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP