Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

GPU requirements for V3

I am wondering why the recommended  GPU requirements for version 3 have gone from 2GB to 4GB. I get a solid 30 fps with no stutters with my GTX 750 TI now, and if version 3 is an improvement , why does it need a GPU with twice the ram? 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

and if version 3 is an improvement , why does it need a GPU with twice the ram?

Well it's an improvement... of your video card.

• Upvote 1

The GPU memory requirements have not changed. The recommended GPU memory has changed. Requirements and recommendations are two different things.

My experience in decades of flight simming has been that minimum requirements are pretty worthless, recommended is what is needed for a SIM to run properly.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Minimum requirements are indeed useless, but recommended often is a bit above what's needed to enjoy the software. I think the requirements also go up with what's available at the moment. A 4 GB GPU probably would also have been recommended two years ago if they had been as available as they are now.

The GPU memory requirements have not changed. The recommended GPU memory has changed. Requirements and recommendations are two different things.

Giving semantics lessons for a living. :Talking Ear Off:

It's really quite simple: They've changed how much the GPU's abilities and memory capacity affect the sim's performance. Something people have been demanding for quite a while... and of course you're going to complain about it. LOL

• Upvote 1

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Minimum requirements are indeed useless, but recommended often is a bit above what's needed to enjoy the software. I think the requirements also go up with what's available at the moment. A 4 GB GPU probably would also have been recommended two years ago if they had been as available as they are now.

So if I am getting what I consider is very acceptable performance with a 2GB card in 2.5, would I expect to get very acceptable performance in version 3 with the same card? That is what people that now have 2G cards and are happy with the way 2.5 runs for them , are going to ask.  In fact, what would really be interesting, is for a few of the people that are going to get this , the moment that it is released, to record some FPS readings in a few places with 2.5, and then load up the same location with the same basic settings. when they get 3.0 running and compare the results. 

They've changed how much the GPU's abilities and memory capacity affect the sim's performance.

Ed does this mean part of the load taken off the CPU and put onto the GPU,   this is a good thing, yes?  as a lot more folks have more powerful cards that can be utilized properly now. 

At the least it means texturing requires more GPU memory. Especially when you start cranking the sliders right, using addons with massive texture resolutions, etc. on 3 huge 4K monitors.

I couldn't say how much CPU processing vs GPU processing changes exist. That would be very hard to quantify from a beta tester's point of view.

I suspect the next out of memory issue will be running out of graphics card memory. LOL

• Upvote 1

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Sim Director Updates.

"Full avatar support in scenario creation. For example, the avatar can be referenced by other objects and can be given waypoints."

I'm curious to see what A2A, RealAir, Majestic, PMDG, etc. can come up with for this. Realistic walk around, maybe. No more need for 3rd party, FPS sucking, camera software. To be able to walk around your aircraft of choice, and if you forget to remove the pitot tube cover, would/culd result in an instrument failure in flight.

Now that would be "immersive" as wellas pretty darn impressive.

just my .02c

Cheers, Craig

changed vas sucking to FPS sucking...

Edited by Jazzfan

At the least it means texturing requires more GPU memory

Great Ed,  thanks for explanation.  Interesting couple of days ahead  

As a fellow 2GB graphics card user i am a bit worried on v3 performance with my current card.  if i splash out the $200 for v3  then  I wont have any money for a 4gb card until bonus payday next April

My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/c/Dkentflyer

As a fellow 2GB graphics card user i am a bit worried on v3 performance with my current card.  if i splash out the $200 for v3  then  I wont have any money for a 4gb card until bonus payday next April

You can always try it and if it's not to par, then just request a refund within 60-days.