Sign in to follow this  
Paul_Yorks

Does P3D 3 = P3D 2.6?

A better rephrasing of the title of this thread would be:

"Because I bought 2.0 does it entitle me to free updates and fixes in perpetuity?"

The answer is no. There is NO piece of software that is completely bug free and there never will be as long as it's made by humans. 

Just because bugs were fixed in a newer version doesn't mean you were ripped off.

Sometimes to fix a bug requires substantial code rewrites which is beyond a "patch" or a "hotfix", I'd venture a guess that 99% of the things they fixed weren't stopping people from using the software.

I guess everyone forgot the early days when you went to the store and bought the game or sim and that was it period, no patches, fixes - nothing you lived with it until they came out with a new version.

Hheheeh, it must be a gold mine for developers selling their wares in flight simulator land..... So many will justify 60 bucks( or 200 bucks if you are honest) in their heads to pay for a bunch of fixes and an avatar... Hahahahaah. 

I have spent more money on FS crap than any other software in my entire life... thousands of dollars, but I am happy to sit this one out. But go ahead and buy it! You will be happy and so will LM :)

A better rephrasing of the title of this thread would be:

"Because I bought 2.0 does it entitle me to free updates and fixes in perpetuity?"

The answer is no. There is NO piece of software that is completely bug free and there never will be as long as it's made by humans. 

Just because bugs were fixed in a newer version doesn't mean you were ripped off.

Sometimes to fix a bug requires substantial code rewrites which is beyond a "patch" or a "hotfix", I'd venture a guess that 99% of the things they fixed weren't stopping people from using the software.

I guess everyone forgot the early days when you went to the store and bought the game or sim and that was it period, no patches, fixes - nothing you lived with it until they came out with a new version.

I think the issue is the way LM worded their improvement list. Instead of using : Fixes for <insert bug here>, they should have stated things like : Brand new VAS Management, Occulust right support. Speedtree HD API.   Full SLI Support etc...

There was no doubt I was buying V3 but for some they needs to see they are getting some new. It's hard to see that when 99% of the improvement list starts with : Fixes bug.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

In reply to the OP title, my opinion is NO.

Reasoning for my opinion:

In no specific order

1. Avatar Mode

2. Speedtree integration

3. Interface changes

4. Capability to only uninstall and reinstall the client (makes updating MUCH easier!)

5. Rendering changes in the core software

6. Epic change-list

7. Was FS2004 only FS2002.1?

8. Was FS2002 only FS2000.1?!?

9. Was FS95 only FS5.1?

10. Occulus Rift integration

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

Froogle has put up an unbiased and informed appraisal of V3 on YouTube. Go judge for yourselves.

Each side makes interesting points. The bottom line for me is...if you make a broken v2, then you should fix it first before offering v3. Making fixes to bugs in v2 and charging for it will not garner my continued support of the product.

At the very least, LM could have given everyone with v2 the core system (optimization, fixes etc.) updates; and then made you pay for the new features such as Avatar, Speedtrees etc offered in v3 if you wanted to upgrade.

LM is hindered by their pricing structure.. I don't think many will fork over $200 for a slightly better P3D, especially when you can get it cheaper; which (IMO) is the problem here....too many Academic sales leaving LM wanting more money sooner (as I suspect P3D is a subsidized product line). To top it off, DTG now has the upper hand using steam to reach more of those would be academic customers without the licensing nonsense.

So....no V3 for me....maybe v4 or v5...when LM makes some "serious" advances in P3D's features and performance...that is...if DTG doesn't steal the show in the flight sim arena.

...that is...if DTG doesn't steal the show in the flight sim arena.

Please excuse me while I put down my coffee to roll on the floor laughing my butt off.

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

Please excuse me while I put down my coffee to roll on the floor laughing my butt off.

I think they already have and way before the latest V3 release

ZORAN

I think they already have and way before the latest V3 release

Their new DLC simulator isn't even out yet, I'm assuming you are referring to the 8 year old FSX-Hog with DTG lipstick added?

13.jpg

I don't think LM and DTG are competing for the same 'show'.  They are in two entirely different industries.

Prepare3D is a professional software and not for private entertainment. For professional software it is very common to pay a recurring mainentance fess, pay for support, and pay for upgrades. If someone is not willing or able to pay for that, make it easy for yourself and rollback to FSX or FS9. The discussion whether V3.0 is actually a V2.6 is absolutely useless and pettifogging.

Ruediger

Their new DLC simulator isn't even out yet, I'm assuming you are referring to the 8 year old FSX-Hog with DTG lipstick added?

yes :Tounge:

ZORAN

If you like V3, great! If you don't agree with L-M's pricing strategy, that's fine too. I certainly wasn't jumping for joy at parting with more money. But how the heck do people still to this day not understand L-M's place in the market...of more to the point, your place as a casual simmer in L-M's world?!

I personally hope Dovetail knocks it out of the park with whatever it is they are cooking up. Choice is a win for all of us. In the meantime, frankly I am thankful that I have a choice to use P3D V2, V3....or not.

Chris

I personally hope Dovetail knocks it out of the park with whatever it is they are cooking up. Choice is a win for all of us. In the meantime, frankly I am thankful that I have a choice to use P3D V2, V3....or not.

My thoughts exactly. Just give me options. No need to make our little community into a micro "Iphone vs Android" debate. Just use what is best for you and find solace in the fact that we always have a plan B if so we choose. 

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson