Sign in to follow this  
TheFlightSimGuy

Speed Trees

Quick question on Speed Trees. I remember it being a feature in MS Flight and I was wondering if there are any default elements that utilize this feature or if it will strictly be up to the addon devs to see this feature. Would be interesting to see the moving trees and smooth transitions but wasnt sure if it was a default feature of all tree elements or if it require special assets. Hope my question makes sense. Thanks!

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

Straight from the change log.

- 18 new scenery library models of 3D trees (powered by SpeedTree)
   - SpeedTree models can be placed using SimDirector.

- Added scenery import and export support in SimDirector. BGLs can now be created from scenarios with scenery in SimDirector which greatly simplifies the scenery creation process.

(So anyone can learn how to develop and use scenery right inside P3D.)

Cheers

I don't know! JV says its up to dev to make the addons with Speedtress, however the V3 Release notes say there are 18 additions to the scenery library for Speedtrees. We will know tomorrow or tonight if a beta tester elucidates.

It appears that Speed Tree is also not something that is automatically retrofitted into existing scenery as well. As mentioned above, the tech is now made available to developers to easily use in their projects.

I'm really curious to see add-ons that use it. As a developer myself, I would love to see if I could create a scenery with Speed Tree trees that worked with a dynamic LOD. The fully dynamic trees, hopefully, could seamlessly load in as you came near to the ground for a variety of senarios and load in lighter and simpler trees when further away. It sounds obvious to do this in modern applications, but would be a big step for the ESP platform that Prepar3D and FSX were built on.

I believe they placed some SpeedTree examples around the default flight field.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

That's good to hear. What we are lacking right now on this is examples. It would be nice if Lockheed Martin had a team that produced more technical demonstrations publically available for cusotmers. I think I've resided on just updrading on the 30th. I'd like to help with the first wave of user's feedback on performance and impressions.

Straight from the change log.

Yes, we all saw that, I am asking if there are any places in the sim that we can see them in action without having to use sim director or wait for 3rd party devs.

I don't know! JV says its up to dev to make the addons with Speedtress, however the V3 Release notes say there are 18 additions to the scenery library for Speedtrees. We will know tomorrow or tonight if a beta tester elucidates.

Thats what I figured, just wanted to see this whole wind effect in sim. 

I certainly hope so! Do you have a source to that or do you know where they said there would be? 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

Rob was kind enough to post this - well done Rob - cool stuff

Rich Sennett

Thanks Rich, looks lovely, are they run from the GPU or CPU do we know pls?

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

So WarpD was correct. Looks like for now it is only some of the trees surrounding some of the airports. John V said on the Orbx forums that they will look at what can be done with foliage for future airports but that they are taxing on performance. We will keep an eye out! 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

Ok. Now that is impressive. 

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Thanks for that..Hope is eternal... I am sure, someone would sell us a make the whole world with dynamic moving treees.

It's only a matter of time

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Exciting! More of that from future airports is going to make v3 amazing.

Thanks for that..Hope is eternal... I am sure, someone would sell us a make the whole world with dynamic moving treees.

It's only a matter of time

Dont wait too long as the whole world could not be populated with these, but limited areas certainly. This is from Orbx CEO

"There is no new Speedtree autogen in V3, the release adds support for the Speedtree SDK to allow developers to introduce new trees and grasses into scenery. It's far too early days at this stage for us to comment on how this will be implemented until we spend more time with the SDK. If you're expecting trees and grasses swaying in the breeze worldwide, that isn't going to be the case. LM has finally implemented Speedtree at my recommendation to them about two and a half years ago, it's something we've been wanting in a sim platform for a long time so we're pleased the support for is there now. As to how we tackle any eventual upgrade to all our products to add Speedtree, that is a whole other story. You will likely see it introduced in newer projects, much like we introduced NatureFlow moving trees and grass from 1WA6 Fall City onwards, and then only selectively. Finally, expect a FPS hit with Speedtree - you don't get millions of animated polygons in your FOV for free, that's dreaming"

Josh Daniels-Johannson