Sign in to follow this  
WarpD

Prepar3D v3.x Compatibility

With Prepar3D v3 from Lockheed-Martin being released today, I think it might be time to point out a few conditions of 'compatibility' that need to be revealed to the simming public:

1 - If a given addon installs anywhere inside the core Prepar3D folder structure, it's not compatible.

2 - If you need to use something like the Estonia Migration Tool to install, it's not compatible.

Believe it or not, if you ensure the addons you install to v3 are compatible... it will prevent you from having to reinstall addons when L-M releases point release updates to v3.

So, talk to your addon providers and encourage them to adhere to the v3 addon installation process correctly so that in the end, everyone will be happy.

This message brought to you by the letter 'Y' and the number '12'.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Did the folder structure change that much?  Configuration files are no longer located in c:\programdata?

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Lockheed-Martin have made it clear they want no third-party content in their core installation folders at all. It will ensure that updates are easier on the end user. How and what installed what/where/by/how/etc has changed in v3. As example, it's possible for L-M to update only the client portion of the sim and thus reduce download size significantly. This means you would only uninstall the client and then install the updated client.

I see 4 installers that make up the Prepar3D v3 sim install. While the end user only runs a single installer, that actually calls 4 individual installers: Content, Professional, Professional Client and Scenery. (examples).

It is indeed quite different and addon developers need to adhere to the requirements for compatibility.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

What about freeware scenery packages that were installed manually into Addon Scenery? Where are they now installed? I guess you are probably going to say that they are "no longer compatible", but that isn't the answer I am looking for.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I'm a bit confused. I read on the P3D website:

"Is Prepar3D v3 still backwards compatible with legacy content?

Yes. The Prepar3D development team has partnered with several developers to ensure that most legacy content is backwards compatible."

That sounds like quite the opposite of what you're telling, Ed. I dont know if you have any information, but if you do, could you please shine some light on this?

Cheers!

Maarten

1 - If a given addon installs anywhere inside the core Prepar3D folder structure, it's not compatible.

Pretty cool, that makes a lot of sense!

Thanks for the HU WarpD. :smile:

- JP

- Jens Peter "Penz" Pedersen

Thank you Ed. Makes sense, but it will definitely be a pain in the rear... 

It had to be done :)

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Makes sense, but it will definitely be a pain in the rear...

It may just prove to be a show stopper for me if compatibility isn't as good as I hoped it would be. I think that I will step back for the moment, and see what happens. I can still enjoy P3D v2.4 whilst I have a think about it.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

What about freeware scenery packages that were installed manually into Addon Scenery? Where are they now installed? I guess you are probably going to say that they are "no longer compatible", but that isn't the answer I am looking for.

They would need to be installed into a folder elsewhere. Say create a folder named 'Addon Scenery' on a drive somewhere... put your scenerys in it and then update Prepar3D's scenery.cfg file to correctly see them or use the built in scenery library interface... either will work. But there is no valid reason to place them in the core sim folders. They just don't need to be there.

I'm a bit confused. I read on the P3D website:

"Is Prepar3D v3 still backwards compatible with legacy content?

Yes. The Prepar3D development team has partnered with several developers to ensure that most legacy content is backwards compatible."

That sounds like quite the opposite of what you're telling, Ed. I dont know if you have any information, but if you do, could you please shine some light on this?

That's not the opposite of anything. You're reading a great deal into their statement. At no point did even I state that you can't continue to install into the core sim's folders with old addons that were not set up to work with Prepar3D... sure, they'll install. However, that's not the correct method of installation for v3 and to be honest there's no legitimate reason to need to install into the core sim folders any longer.

There are config files that tell the core sim where to locate everything from scenery to fonts, gauges, sounds, textures... etc. They no longer need to reside inside the core sim folders but can instead be placed outside of them. By adhering to that... updates to the core sim will be far more painless in the future.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Do you include simobjects (aircraft) in your addon reference or just scenery?

I assume texture replacement addons like FTX Global, REX etc will have to be in the core folder structure and therefore require reinstallation following upgrades (just like previous versions).

Everything, including SimObjects.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Just to be clear.....are texture/sound files etc no longer installed in the relevant folders within the Lockheed Martin/Prepar3D folder structure? If that's the case, then I am wondering about compatibility with Earth Simulations products. Quite a large number of files were installed in those folders, and there is very little chance that we will ever see updated installers for each product...

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

If you're talking global... if they're not replacing files that already exist (not sure how L-M wants that addressed) then yes they should be in their own installation folders elsewhere with appropriate entries in the correct configuration files for the core sim.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Makes perfect sense - just link to everything from the core sim. Your addon installations will stay intact during upgrades etc.

That already makes it a bit clearer to me, thanks Ed. I'm just a user and I dont know much about files-structure and such, so I'm not always convinced I understand things right when programmers are talking tech-talk, so to speak.

Cheers!

Maarten