Sign in to follow this  

Personal first impression

Oh I'm here... but reading the posts... there's nothing I could say, nor anyone else.

'Bobsk8' has been on a personal 'hate-mission' against v3 from the outset so not going there... and your expectations of higher FPS are unrealistic when you take into account that the majority of the graphics work is now GPU bound. You want faster FPS... get a more powerful card.

As for LOD... everyone keeps asking, and Rob already stated it once... but to put it really simply: your system can't handle higher LOD due to memory requirements. L-M stated that they are looking into it and trying to see if there is something they can do to support something higher, but no promises as anything they attempt will be rather complex.

Based on your tone in your posts regarding v3... I'd say you went into this with hopes of finding reason(s) to not be satisfied... so, go get your refund and "let it go Elsa". Just my suggestion.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

J van E, what exactly did you think was going to happen when you bought v3. You've been here long enough have heard what the improvements were and that the main thing that people were excited about was better VAS management. Since none of the fixed items caused you problems before and you had no OOM issues, why did you even bother getting v3?

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Oh I'm here... but reading the posts... there's nothing I could say, nor anyone else.

'Bobsk8' has been on a personal 'hate-mission' against v3 from the outset so not going there... and your expectations of higher FPS are unrealistic when you take into account that the majority of the graphics work is now GPU bound. You want faster FPS... get a more powerful card.

As for LOD... everyone keeps asking, and Rob already stated it once... but to put it really simply: your system can't handle higher LOD due to memory requirements. L-M stated that they are looking into it and trying to see if there is something they can do to support something higher, but no promises as anything they attempt will be rather complex.

Based on your tone in your posts regarding v3... I'd say you went into this with hopes of finding reason(s) to not be satisfied... so, go get your refund and "let it go Elsa". Just my suggestion.

Well said Ed!!!!

Lots of people spend lots of time to talk about why they won't buy it or why it's not worth it. Or, buy it it hoping to find a reason not to like it or see any improvements.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I'm am not on a personal "hate mission" as you claim. I am looking at the bug list that doesn't seem to impact me, the VAS issue, which I don't have, and trying to see if it is worth spending money on with very little benefit to me personally. If you don't like that attitude, then don't read my posts. I also am not looking for a FPS increase, as what I have is fine now. I just wanted to see if there was a decrease in performance. By the way,  I find most of your lecturing to others  type posts,  and your condescending attitude towards anyone that disagrees with your opinions, pretty boring frankly . 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Oh come now... can't be that boring, you responded! With an insult no less! :grin:

EDIT: And then you edited your reply to be even more personally insulting! Brilliant! :grin:

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Oh come now... can't be that boring, you responded! With an insult no less! :grin:

You insult me, you get it back, so get used to it. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

J van E, what exactly did you think was going to happen when you bought v3. You've been here long enough have heard what the improvements were and that the main thing that people were excited about was better VAS management. Since none of the fixed items caused you problems before and you had no OOM issues, why did you even bother getting v3?

Because I was hoping the improvements under the hood would improve performance (not only fps but also texture loading). I was also hoping for better looking waves and sky/clouds. And because amongst others WarpD posted a few times there was a lot more to v3 than the list of changes told us. But apparently, reading his reply below yours, this suddenly isn't the case. I know a lot of improvements will become more visible in the future but well... after spending 200 dollars you simply expect somehow that something will WOW you... My bad LOL

Well, it doesn't happen often but this remark actually offended me. Big time. I'd like an apology for this.

Lets not bicker at each other.......at least till i grab my coffee   :smile:    

Hey,  its all good,  our platform is being regularly updated.

I done my purchase and its downloading surprisingly fast,  i have only got one and a half hours left.

Very exited indeed   

Primary performance change is memory management. Waves are improved, I have seen it. Perhaps what you think an improvement is doesn't sync with what they think an improvement is? Better sky/clouds? I don't even know how to respond to that one... didn't know it was broken to begin with.

While I stated there is a lot more to v3 than just that list... I did not state there was a 'WOW'... not sure I would ever care if there was a 'WOW'.

This isn't a game, it's not cheap software. It's software used by commercial entities to create professional training platforms for pilot training. As such, we don't expect the 'WOW', we expect the functionality and flexibility. With v3 they rewrite memory management to provide better functionality and they redesigned the core sim's layout/installation to support more flexibility with updates in the future. While it may not be important to you, it is very important to the target audience of the product.

All of those changes aren't small potatoes and are certainly not a point release bug-fix.

As for offending you... not sure what's offending about believing that your mindset was already predisposed to want to return the product. Like I said... you don't like what you paid for, get your refund... move on.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Lets not bicker at each other.......at least till i grab my coffee   :smile:    

Hey,  its all good,  our platform is being regularly updated.

I done my purchase and its downloading surprisingly fast,  i have only got one and a half hours left.

Very exited indeed   

..at least till i grab my coffee 

Poppet...a gal after my own heart...sipping and reading...sipping and reading...:)   Looks like you are going to download v3.0.

Enjoy!

Mitch

In Bobs defense...

Before recently upgrading, I had 

Core i7-2600k @ 4.6 GHZ

8GB Ram

2X GTX 780ti Classified (OC'd) video cards

In this day and age, a 60 fps minimum is what I should see, otherwise, it is just sloppy coding and resistance to change.  There is not another title that exists that I can't run at least 60fps in 1920x1080 so tell me again why I need a more powerful machine?

It will be interesting when DCS 1.5 drops to see average framerate results.  I can guarantee you they will be over 60 fps...

How about that awful screen tear when you pan around in the VC?  Also screen tear when looking outside the plane?  Maybe is my graphic card but I think I have a decent one(GTX 680)?  Or my settings are not correct.  This is in P3Dd 2.5  Is it any better in 3.0?  Every other games I have including FSX I have no problem with screen tearing...just P3D.

As for offending you... not sure what's offending about believing that your mindset was already predisposed to want to return the product. Like I said... you don't like what you paid for, get your refund... move on.

Well, I am offended because I hate prejudice and never ever step into something with a negative mindset. It was the opposite of what you said: I started v3 hoping to find reasons to be very satisfied. Based amongst other upon your posts about unpublished improvements. People can accuse me of being fickle but I am always fair and honest. Your casual tone in which you accuse me to step into this to only look for a reason to get a refund is totally unacceptable. And totally wrong. And now you simply repeat that once more. I think people who know me on this forum know that I am fair and honest and I can be blunt and straight forward sometimes, but what you are saying now hurts my good name here and I can't let that go by just like that.

(And I also don't want to disappoint the people who are reading this with coffee in hand. ;) )

EDIT

But let's forget about this and focus on the sim. I am already over it. I'm too old to worry about my good name. Peace.

How about that awful screen tear when you pan around in the VC?  Also screen tear when looking outside the plane?  Maybe is my graphic card but I think I have a decent one(GTX 680)?  Or my settings are not correct.  This is in P3Dd 2.5  Is it any better in 3.0?  Every other games I have including FSX I have no problem with screen tearing...just P3D.

Gtx 680 2 gig version or 4 gig version? 

Oh goodness...no one is on a hate mission....

It's just that it's a lot of money for some fixes and a few new features.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |