Sign in to follow this  
Arthur42417

Skymaxx 3.0 Announced

nice but wasn't 2.0 just a few months ago  :smile:

New stratiform clouds! Stratus and overcast cloud layers may now be represented by thick, volumetric clouds.
- Extends all the way to the horizon
- Both solid and broken stratiform representations
- Advanced lighting model with real Mie scattering and fogbows!
- Realistic in-cloud effects for convincing IFR landings and takeoffs
- Simulated scud layer
- Real simulation of single, double, and multiple scattering of sunlight and moonlight through the clouds
- Even faster than SkyMaxx Pro 2's clouds!

Vastly increased cloud draw distances!
- 3D volumetric cloud layers adjustable up to 200KM wide
- Uses "dynamically generated imposters" technology to keep frame-rates up
- Convincing high-altitude weather for jetliner pilots

Soft cloud / terrain blending
- Adjustable soft blending of any cloud type with terrain
- Makes for gorgeous ground fog, or clouds surrounding mountaintops!

Improved memory usage and memory management tools
- Clouds now consume less video and system memory
- Real-time video and system memory monitor alerts you when resources get low
- VRAM and RAM usage displayed in the SkyMaxx Pro configuration screen
- VRAM usage reported is the actual usage reported by the video drivers, not an estimate

Integration with SoundMaxx
- Lightning effects in SkyMaxx Pro 3 will trigger 3D positional thunder sound effects when SoundMaxx is installed

Lots of extra polish.
- Rendering anomalies with lightning addressed
- Better darkening of clouds as the sun sets
- Cloud layers automatically avoid visually distracting intersections
- Improved appearance of cloud shadows in low-visibility conditions

https://youtu.be/yLYqLe3k6_g

Yep just received the mail too, amazing stuff! Waiting for the release to buy it. Great promo video and screenshots.

" - Even faster than SkyMaxx Pro 2's clouds! "  this is really good news.

Alexander Colka

Wonderful, SMP is a must have for me :-)

Does anyone know if this is a free or a paid update?

Wonderful, SMP is a must have for me :-)

Does anyone know if this is a free or a paid update?

Paid upgrade, 50% off for current owners for the first 60 days after release.

I'm okay with it, the features it's bringing look absolutely superb.  Along with the supposedly upcoming FSGlobal weather, we may have a lot to look forward to in our skies soon!

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

nice but wasn't 2.0 just a few months ago  :smile:

No, it was released over a year ago. August 20, 2014 to be exact.

Founder of X-Aviation

Very promising features. I especially liked the stratiform clouds in the video. And finally a decent ground fog layer for X-Plane!

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Always been happy with SkyMaxx but with this edition, I'm not really seeing a large visual improvement (though the list of features sounds great) I will have to see more.

Or I might buy it just because.... (I can be that way)

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Always been happy with SkyMaxx but with this edition, I'm not really seeing the visual improvement (though the list of features sounds great) I will have to see more.

The extended draw distance & the stratiform clouds shown in the video they've released are what have me excited.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Perfect, extended draw with improved FPS and vram monitor. Credit card ready, even better with 50% off! 

Always been happy with SkyMaxx but with this edition, I'm not really seeing a large visual improvement (though the list of features sounds great) I will have to see more.

Or I might buy it just because.... (I can be that way)

Ooooh, dunno Devon, two big things that jump out are the fog layer and unbroken fluffy cloud layers. They look like pretty large visual improvements. 

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

The video is great but not having any versions of SMP I can't tell the difference. Maybe at a later date till than Murmur clouds are nice.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

I really like the lighting effects within the clouds and the unbroken layer. This looks very nice. I still feel the view of the clouds from ground level looks slightly off such as at 1.33 in the video. It gives the effect that the clouds are very low They don't blend well with the sky to give a sense of depth and altitude. Maybe its also the sky colours.

Overall, still a great step forward.

I still feel the view of the clouds from ground level looks slightly off such as at 1.33 in the video. It gives the effect that the clouds are very low

They ARE low. Nevermind the fact that X-Plane is responsible for altitude appearance. Seems it's doing what it should!

They don't blend well with the sky to give a sense of depth and altitude. Maybe its also the sky colours.

Sky colors are and always have been changeable. Not only are there custom sets with SkyMaxx Pro, but you can add others. That's the beauty of preference and giving you freedom of choice! :)

Founder of X-Aviation

Noobie question here - what's the FPS loss to visual improvement ratio? Would I lose much of my, already only ~30-35FPS, in order to achieve satisfactory visual effects?