Sign in to follow this  
Arthur42417

Skymaxx 3.0 Announced

Noobie question here - what's the FPS loss to visual improvement ratio? Would I lose much of my, already only ~30-35FPS, in order to achieve satisfactory visual effects?

SMP V2 usually performed better than default clouds.

V3 says it should be faster than V2 , so I think you might get better FPS actually.

Noobie question here - what's the FPS loss to visual improvement ratio? Would I lose much of my, already only ~30-35FPS, in order to achieve satisfactory visual effects?

This is what I wonder too, If the clouds extend out to the horizon now, then whats the hit?

This is what I wonder too, If the clouds extend out to the horizon now, then whats the hit?

It will always take more cycles to draw more clouds than fewer clouds, but we've taken steps to minimize any performance hit from extended cloud draw distances:

- SMP3 uses "dynamically generated imposters" for clouds more than 50km away, which is a way of very quickly drawing lots of distant clouds all at once.

- Our configuration screen now includes a real-time VRAM and system RAM monitor, so you can experiment with different draw distances and see the effect on available RAM on your system. Performance should be good as long as you ensure you aren't exhausting your computer's memory resources.

I can't really make any categorical statements about performance, as it depends a LOT on your system specs and what other add-ons and scenery you've installed. But I can say we've taken a lot of steps to keep performance fast even when you crank up the cloud draw distance. As in SkyMaxx Pro 2, the draw distance is configurable, so you can strike the balance that works for you.

You'll notice our promo video is running at a good frame-rate and shows clouds drawn to the horizon. That's reflective of what I see on my own system as well.

You'll notice our promo video is running at a good frame-rate and shows clouds drawn to the horizon. That's reflective of what I see on my own system as well.

Maybe we could get to know the PC's specs that the video was made on to use as a reference point then? :)

Anyhow, I am sure that with vast amount of configurable options we can make it work, I kind of like how it looks on the presented video. 

Cheers!

Good idea. I find in V2, that's its impossible to run clouds at any distance. So i wonder if I will be able to with v3.... 

Ooooh, dunno Devon, two big things that jump out are the fog layer and unbroken fluffy cloud layers. They look like pretty large visual improvements. 

My internal jury is still out until I see more of it in actual motion and under varying conditions. The question is, is there is enough difference to make it worth it. (for me)

If I qualify for the 50% off, that makes the decision a bit easier.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Maybe we could get to know the PC's specs that the video was made on to use as a reference point then? :)

Anyhow, I am sure that with vast amount of configurable options we can make it work, I kind of like how it looks on the presented video.

Cheers!

Our beta team consists of a wide array of normal day machines to get as best a test bed as possible. No performance issues have been mentioned what so ever aside from wondering how we were able to not compromise performance.

I think it's safe to say that if you can run SMP 2, you'll easily and happily run 3 with its smaller footprint through memory optimizations.

Founder of X-Aviation

Well, flip me sideways with a barge pole, I wasn't expecting such an improvements as these. I admit that v2 is permanently disabled in my XP but my wallet will be opening for v3. The clouds extending to the horizon is a game-changer for me (a veritable tube jockey's delight).

Let the countdown begin... soon I hope?  :Party:

How about the popping clouds when weather changes? Thanks!

Due to limitations in the XP SDK this remains unchanged at this time.

Founder of X-Aviation

And here I am still on default clouds.  :lol:  The 3.0 video looks really nice though, especially the overcast situation.

Maybe we can get a screenshot of the UI to see how / if the new effects are integrated/adjustable? Looks promising, though.

Best

Flo

Maybe we can get a screenshot of the UI to see how / if the new effects are integrated/adjustable? Looks promising, though.

Best

Flo

Ask and ye shall receive:

SMPConfig.jpg

What's new are the RAM monitors, cloud/terrain blend softness config, and new options in the stratus / overcast section. Also, you can't see it, but the "cloud draw distance" slider covers a much larger range now. The rest should look familiar.