Sign in to follow this  
soaring_penguin

x-plane 10 on Google play

Go grab it and share your thoughts.

I had a quick flight around one of the airports on my Nexus 7 2013, especially the 3D cockpit is a big improvement over X-Plane 9 mobile.

Topic Merged

Since X-Plane 10 was released yesterday on Android, I thought I would give it a try, and it's actually pretty enjoyable. The download is free, and you get a Cessna 172 and some areas such as Innsbruck and Hawaii to fly around. All other planes are paid addons (and they seem to be just ported versions of the default aircraft from the desktop version). The C172 is pretty much identical in appearance to the default. I didn't buy any of the addons, but there are also adverts inside the app, which I presume if you buy something, disappear.

It's actually surprisingly nice using the accelerometer to fly (To pan around you touch the screen), but all of the controls are very much simplified, e.g. You can't directly click anything in the cockpit but have to use menu options, e.g. To tune the VOR radios etc.. For what it does, it's a great introduction to X-Plane and flight-simulation for new users, and I think it will actually do its job to get the users to try the desktop version and help fund XP11. I was able to fly around Hawaii and tune in an ILS approach and also setup some weather. If you want to fly any fighter jets or blow up something, you have to pay using an in-app purchase.

Graphically, it looks very nice and a big improvement over XP9 Mobile. This version seemed to have buildings, and it's basically XP10 Desktop with a simplified interface and cut-down scenery. The UI is very nice, and I'd be happy to see something like this in XP11 (For new users, but not at the expense of seasoned-users).

I know it's not much of interest to most users here, but it's pretty interesting to try out and it's pretty amazing to see XP10 running well on a phone. 

Topic Merged

And it also means some extra funding arrives over at Laminar. Will try it soon although I would fear that my battery will drain a lot faster than my fuel. :rolleyes:

and it's pretty amazing to see XP10 running well on a phone.

This and water on Mars still blows my mind.

A small update after trying it. Leaving the battery drain aside (expect some 0.5-1% loss per minute) this is really well done. I could even get my girlfriend to try and the controls are super intuitive.

We flew around Innsbruck for the tutorial and it's actually quite impressive what the software does on my 2013 phone.

I still have to figure out how the multiplayer would work without the dreaded Google+ 'need' (note: that's a Google Play Game Services issue, not a LR one) but, so far, this seems like more fun than I expected. Might get the Baron from the addon planes to unlock some more challenges.

"Honey, get me my charger, I gotta fly!" B) :lol:

I was a beta tester for X-Plane 10 on Android. After having test-flown all the planes, I can say that XP10 on Android is a significant improvement over XP9 (and it was because of XP9 for Android that Austin got sued - if anyone remembers). However, many of the planes' controls are also overly sensitive - it would be great if one could tune controls. It's also a pity that most of the planes are unavailable without in-app purchases, but I can honestly say - the F-22 upside-down mission is really fun. The app was rather unstable in the early days (back in July) but Chris Serio has worked a large part of it out - I had an e-mail thread with him that was 30 e-mails long just to fix a show-stopping bug - the app didn't even launch on my One M8. Kudos to the LR team. They say that lessons learnt from XP9/10 on mobile will be ported to desktop, especially in terms of DPI scaling (1080p on 13.3" is just too small). I also look forward to their new UI...