Sign in to follow this  
Mike_CFII_MEL

Three 75" 4K's Are Installed

HD videos to vimeo.

Vimeo doesn't support 4K, only 1080p.  But yes, YouTube compresses the heck out of 4K source, so they don't look as good as when viewed native.  In addition, ShadowPlay records 4K at a low bitrate (even when set to max) so the source 4K recording isn't the best it could be to start with.

The correct way to capture 4K content is with a separate PC running a 4K capture card (think >$2,000 for quality capture card like this unit: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productList&A=ShowProduct&Q=1137311&sku=1137311) and some very large and very fast SSDs (many TB).  Capture card needs to support Monitor output or use a HDMI 2.0 signal splitter (this gets tricky with HDMI 2.0 due to copy protection processing).  This is the only splitter I know of that works for HDMI 2.0 4K @ 60Hz: http://www.hdtvsupply.com/1x4-hdmi-splitter-hdmi-2-0.html

But the 4K recording journey doesn't end here ... once you have the captured footage you'll have to compress it to some degree because it'll be 100's of GB file size and just not practical for deploying on YouTube (that will compress it more) or even via Google Drive.  And then once you find a medium to deploy the 4K video, the end user will need a 4K capable player and monitor and a PC that can handle the playback (aka stutter free) the 4K content.

So the only real practical way to deploy 4K recorded content is LOTS of compression and toss up on YouTube.

YouTube also support 8K ... stay tuned :)

Cheers, Rob.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Rob Vimeo does support 4k but only for a few selected at the moment but they plan to roll out 4k for all users very soon. I just watched several 4k vids on Vimeo today.

Vimeo doesn't support 4K, only 1080p.  But yes, YouTube compresses the heck out of 4K source, so they don't look as good as when viewed native.  In addition, ShadowPlay records 4K at a low bitrate (even when set to max) so the source 4K recording isn't the best it could be to start with.

The correct way to capture 4K content is with a separate PC running a 4K capture card (think >$2,000 for quality capture card like this unit: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productList&A=ShowProduct&Q=1137311&sku=1137311) and some very large and very fast SSDs (many TB).  Capture card needs to support Monitor output or use a HDMI 2.0 signal splitter (this gets tricky with HDMI 2.0 due to copy protection processing).  This is the only splitter I know of that works for HDMI 2.0 4K @ 60Hz: http://www.hdtvsupply.com/1x4-hdmi-splitter-hdmi-2-0.html

But the 4K recording journey doesn't end here ... once you have the captured footage you'll have to compress it to some degree because it'll be 100's of GB file size and just not practical for deploying on YouTube (that will compress it more) or even via Google Drive.  And then once you find a medium to deploy the 4K video, the end user will need a 4K capable player and monitor and a PC that can handle the playback (aka stutter free) the 4K content.

So the only real practical way to deploy 4K recorded content is LOTS of compression and toss up on YouTube.

YouTube also support 8K ... stay tuned :)

Cheers, Rob.

Well I was meaning that the video he recorded of his simulator. Not the 4k monitors.

In the "what's your job" thread Mike listed his as "retired." I call BS. "Astonishing Home Cockpit Architecht" is clearly much closer to the truth.

Rob Vimeo does support 4k but only for a few selected at the moment but they plan to roll out 4k for all users very soon.

Good to know, I like to have alternatives ... I have a Vimeo paid account but rarely use it, will keep an eye out.

Cheers, Rob.