Sign in to follow this  
Arthur42417

Finally, STEAM gets 10.40

Did, last night, on both my laptop and my desktop. :wink:

I was working away on an airport scenery yesterday during the day when it was made available on Steam.  However, being at work with only the possibility of tethering to my phone, I was ignoring it, which you can do on Steam, although it prompts you every time you start the program.  Well... mid afternoon, and I go to fire up the sim to check some details I'd added in WED, and I hit the wrong button and started the update.  I was able to stop it from downloading over the tethered connection, but once you hit the button, there's no going back!  Had to pause my WED work for the afternoon until I got home. :)

Anyhow.  I can now enjoy all of these fine details that are old news to you all.  Performance seems good.  Flew a short FSEconomy flight from CYLW to CZAM last night, and was wondering if the new extended DSF feature would impact performance in the mountains, but it was all good.

Other than having to remap all of my PFC switches and buttons in X-Assign, everything was really good, actually.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I'm having trouble getting my key assignments to stick...not using Xassign as these are global assignments. Suggestions welcome and I feel I'm overlooking something. Thanks!

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

I also updated 2 nights ago.

I had issues with XAssign so I deleted it and started over. One thing that did initially confuse the crap out of me is the way the 10 custom views are labeled in the adv button assignment window. At first I assigned the no 5 key to my forward view then tried to bind it to a button on my stick. It went to a completely different view. On closer inspection I realized that the way the quick view buttons are labelled do not match the actual numbered buttons I had the views assigned to.

I quickly reset all of my buttons on my FlyJsim 737 this morning and will see tonight if Xassign retained them.

One thing I did do after the update is to delete the contents of the preferences folder then re assign & calibrate all my control axis.

Haven't had too much time to test but it looks like the new DSF function is costing me some frames. I only have 8GB DDR3 1600 so I wonder if adding a further 8GB (16GB in total) will improve things.

Would be interested in hearing others experiences

Richard 

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

16gb surely won't hurt, Richard but if the currently installed RAM actually affects your fps remains to be checked.

10.40 in itself seems like a huge improvement btw. The loading times alone are nice. The loader now fills all cores to the max.

I'm having trouble getting my key assignments to stick...not using Xassign as these are global assignments. Suggestions welcome and I feel I'm overlooking something. Thanks!

Sounds like you have inadvertently activated the Discard Changes To Preferences in the Settings, Operations and Warnings menu.

16gb surely won't hurt, Richard but if the currently installed RAM actually affects your fps remains to be checked.

10.40 in itself seems like a huge improvement btw. The loading times alone are nice. The loader now fills all cores to the max.

Just doing some testing and with the extended DSF off at EGPF on a cloudy rainy day I was at 4GB Mem useage, then turned on DSF and it immediately jumped to 6.1 GB (Still sitting on the ground)

I am going to play around some more and see what the memory usage is like. Maybe a trip to the computer store tomorrow for another 8GB lol

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

I am going to play around some more and see what the memory usage is like. Maybe a trip to the computer store tomorrow for another 8GB lol

Highly recommended, I'd go for as much as you can afford :-)

Steam does not seem to update my X-Plane. I'm stuck with an RC3 release I installed about 6 days ago. How should it update?

My log.txt still reads RC3.

Steam does not seem to update my X-Plane. I'm stuck with an RC3 release I installed about 6 days ago. How should it update?

My log.txt still reads RC3.

RC3 is the final one

Sounds like you have inadvertently activated the Discard Changes To Preferences in the Settings, Operations and Warnings menu.

Thanks and all's well now. I think that my problem was related to 10.40 crashes while I was trying to apply settings right after the upgrade. After limiting the amount of plugins, I addressed the crashes and now have no problem with seetings sticking, even with all of the plugins reinstalled.

I'm liking 10.40 but need more RAM...

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

So do the extended DSF's affect FPS? or just RAM load?

I'm trying to figure out things that kill FPS, I notice carenado planes window reflections seem to....

So do the extended DSF's affect FPS? or just RAM load?

I'm trying to figure out things that kill FPS, I notice carenado planes window reflections seem to....

I just did a flight from London Gatwick, FPS was a sold 30 until I flew over a mountainous area covered by HD Mesh V2, frames dropped to 20 and memory usage was at 7.2GB (I have 8GB) I quickly turned of the extended DSF and frames went back to 30 and memory usage dropped back to 5GB. my VRAM also increased and decreased respectively.

I'm off for more memory tomorrow.

The upshot is more complexed s energy = more Ram

Richard

mmBbmS1.png

I just did a flight from London Gatwick, FPS was a sold 30 until I flew over a mountainous area covered by HD Mesh V2, frames dropped to 20 and memory usage was at 7.2GB (I have 8GB) I quickly turned of the extended DSF and frames went back to 30 and memory usage dropped back to 5GB. my VRAM also increased and decreased respectively.

I'm off for more memory tomorrow.

The upshot is more complexed s energy = more Ram

8gb is not enough for EXT DSF option, Ben the dev mentioned it many times on his dev blog page.

8gb is not enough for EXT DSF option, Ben the dev mentioned it many times on his dev blog page.

12 gb's has it working just fine. That is the max that I can put into my system, and have had no issues of whatever kind.... 

I run XPX.40 flat out....with 28-30 FPS no problem.