Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy RFR

X-Plane Control Pad (iOS) by LR

Browsing through the headlines on my news aggregator app on my iphone while eating my cereal this morning, and a new post (http://developer.x-plane.com/2015/09/yesterday-we-released-a-lot-of-stuff/) from Ben showed up.

Of course, yesterday was exciting for me, since being a Steam user that happened to be too busy to try out rc3, I finally got to upgrade to the actual 10.40 release (which seems superb by the way).

This was the first time that I'd heard of this particular app though, released by LR yesterday as well.  iTunes store link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/x-plane-control-pad/id961801382?mt=8

Looks really, really cool.  Disregarding the er, quirky, UI, there's a whole ton of stuff available there, from a PFD, to some neat mapping features, to being to adjust wind / weather, start location... a full blown instructors station, but a whole ton of utility for us everyday users.  I've downloaded a lot of various apps to remotely interact with sims over the past couple of years, and the functionality available through this, for free, surpasses most of them.

I look forward to playing with this tonight!

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Booo, why does nobody ever write anything for Android? :(

Cool.  But 1GB?  Yikes I've only got like 200 MB free on my IP5 lol

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Booo, why does nobody ever write anything for Android? :sad:

Well, I use regularly: x plane steam gauges PRO from Crosscheck software (6 pack instruments) and moving map for X-Plane from Moblisoft.

Both connect directly to X-Plane, no plugins on the host pc required.

As it is now possible to change the datarefs directly from remote, it is only a matter of time something more advanced will appear.

But I agree, I hope they bring this one to Android too.

Regarding Android, a very useful app is XPlane to GPS. It spoofs the GPS on the phone to match the GPS coordinates on X-Plane without any plugins. With this app, I've been able to use AirNav Pro with VFR charts and other real aviation applications. I'm guessing it will also work with Google Maps.

Regarding Android, a very useful app is XPlane to GPS. It spoofs the GPS on the phone to match the GPS coordinates on X-Plane without any plugins. With this app, I've been able to use AirNav Pro with VFR charts and other real aviation applications. I'm guessing it will also work with Google Maps.

Now that's something I wish I had on iOS.

I had a chance to try out the LR Control Pad last night; works pretty well. Some things are neat, some things I'll never ever use.  One really nice feature is the ability to adjust aspects of the weather on the fly, with sliders.  Things like changing wind direction / intensity is a matter of a dial and a slider.  Not a big thing, but it means you don't have to pause the sim, and it's really nice to use.

Another neat thing is the PFD.  It works really smooth.  I wish, however, that it had an option to use it full screen, in landscape mode.

It also provides some good visual feedback to see how nicely (or not) you hand flew an approach or glideslope.

Could really use a bit more polish, but for the price, it's pretty darn good.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.