Sign in to follow this  
Brian_A_Neuman

Irritating microstutters have returned

Good morning simmers,

Ok. As the title states, the irritating microstutters have returned. Every say 5 seconds, my sim stutters for a fraction of a second. As anyone else who had experienced this phenomenon knows it's extremely irritating.

So, what have I changed? Not much, just added 3.0 next to 2.5. I do have tesselation off as my Radeon 7800 series just does not have the juice to make it. So the stutters happen either way. Any ideas what may have changed? Its weird that it just popped up. Could Sim-Connect be causing this issue? Thanks.

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

Brian,

Did you happen to notice hard drive activity when they occur?  On my rig, when I had those stutters in v2.5, I would look down at the exact moment the stutters happened and I could see my HDD activity light flashing, so there may be a correlation between the stutters and say, data being transferred to the sim?

Just a thought.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Brian,

Did you happen to notice hard drive activity when they occur?  On my rig, when I had those stutters in v2.5, I would look down at the exact moment the stutters happened and I could see my HDD activity light flashing, so there may be a correlation between the stutters and say, data being transferred to the sim?

Just a thought.

-Jim

I  will check that out. I wouldnt think that is an issue. I just did a total clean install of Win7 and a clean install of P3D 2.5 and P3D 3.0. Placed them in C:\P3D and C:\P3D 3   So they are not in the program files x86.

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

I have decided to purchase a Kingston ssdNow 120 GB SSD before migrating to P3D v3.

LM strongly recommends to use SSD for their products.

Bilal Asif Khan

Hmmm, I will probably look at an SSD drive as well as possibly a new Vid Card, as I understand, NVIDA is better for this then AMD, and I probably should have more then the 1gb of VRam.

Brian A. Neuman

I  will check that out. I wouldnt think that is an issue. I just did a total clean install of Win7 and a clean install of P3D 2.5 and P3D 3.0. Placed them in C:\P3D and C:\P3D 3   So they are not in the program files x86.

That's not exactly where I was going with the question.  You could have a very clean system with all new installs performed but the microstutter relation to HDD activity may be a functionality issue...something to do with accessing data to send to the sim, which may be experiencing bottlenecks somehow.  I'm grasping at straws here, but it was a thought I had when I was experiencing them.

Last night, after installing V3, I purposely started a flight for the sole purpose of checking for those annoying microstutters.  They were happening less frequently, so that led me to the conclusion that it could have been a video driver issue before, as I am using the latest one for my nvidia card, and it could also be due to the fact that I have no add-ons installed, which leads me back to the data access theory.  I'll have to look at this more later on, but I won't give up until I figure it out. :)

-Jim

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Hmmm, I will probably look at an SSD drive as well as possibly a new Vid Card, as I understand, NVIDA is better for this then AMD, and I probably should have more then the 1gb of VRam.

hardware toooooooooooo weak for v3

hardware toooooooooooo weak for v3

Yeah yeah yeah. It will be upgraded soon. Video Cards are too darn expensive. The truth of the matter is, the stutters happen on 2.5. I think I may have solved it as they have gone away as I deleted GWX.exe (Windows 10 upgrade). Not sure why that would cause a problem. And I did NOT see my Hard Drive light flickering with the stutter. Weird stuff.

Brian A. Neuman

I was having the same issues and I found that having a backup drive would be checking in with the main computer that caused a stutter.

Also I now stop all security software while I am flying as I found that too would cause a small stutter when doing its thing.

Nick Sciortino

Brian if you run yorr Sim, then look at the task manager and check for running aps, you should see mostly P3D running at high % CPU and almost nothing elsem, if you had GWX  running I can tell you it was taking around 15% cpu all the time, see if anything else is using your SCARCE resources!!!

Jorge

I think I nailed down my issue, thanks to the internet and doing a deeper search.  I had to disable the nvidia sound drivers that were running.  I have realtek sound drivers that work all the time, but for some reason, nvidia provides drivers, which I assume is for video.  In any case, I disabled them, flew a quick flight and my stutters are virtually gone...for now. :)

-Jim

I use Jetboost everytime I fly to turn off unwanted activity. Never had a stutter with P3D, and I have a middle of the road 3 year old desktop. http://www.bluesprig.com/jetboost.html

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Hmm. I'll check out Jetboost when I'm done working. Thanks for the input. Oddly before I left for work they were gone again. Weird stuff.

Brian A. Neuman

While looking around don't be afraid to look at some AMD cards vs. nVidia branded ones. nVidia does have better DirectX 11 drivers for some games than AMD, but I don't believe that is the case for Prepar3D. From my own experience of going from a AMD R9 270X to a nVidia GTX970, I saw only a marginal difference with the same settings. I would like to note that I only tested with v2.5 and not v.3. The AMD card had 2GB, and the 970 had 4GB. What I have noticed is that I can increase the value of the settings that are more GPU dependant over what I used with the slower R9 207X.

I think you'll benifit from getting anything with more VRAM and a price tag that fits into your budget.