Sign in to follow this  
racklefratz

Enabling Prepar3d v3 Frame Rate Counter

I'm unable to do it.  Shift+Z, once or repeatedly, has no effect. 

Someone here mentioned something about the "standard.xml file".  I looked in it and found the following entry

<Entry><Key>SHIFT+Z</Key><Down>READOUTS_SLEW</Down></Entry>

which references Shift+Z, but the rest is greek to me.

I'm out of altitude and airspeed on this one.  Anyone have a suggestion of how I can get it working?

in the settings (i think its display settings), do you have the text boxes enabled? You need the check box next to "top right text" or something to that effect (which is a bit ironic being that the fps counter is on the left). If you turn off all text boxes, Shift-z won't work.

Edited by n4gix
Corrected the Shift-Z command.

Hello,  i'm having the same problem.  I have ticked all the boxes but still no FPS counter.  I'm ticking the correct boxes yes ??

22015543706_89075de4a2_o.png

in the settings (i think its display settings), do you have the text boxes enabled? You need the check box next to "top right text" or something to that effect (which is a bit ironic being that the fps counter is on the left). If you turn off all text boxes, ctl-z won't work.

Of course even if you tick the text boxes, ctrl-z still won't work to display your frame rate...on the other hand, SHIFT-Z just might.  :wink:

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Of course even if you tick the text boxes, ctrl-z still won't work to display your frame rate...on the other hand, SHIFT-Z just might.  :wink:

Regards

I just bang on the keyboard until I get what I want

While we're on the subject  - legacy tip

Open Prepar3d.cfg and change 

[TextInfo.2]
FrameRate=1,1
LockedFrameRate=1,2
GForce=1,3
FuelPercentage=1,4

to 

[TextInfo.2]
AverageFrameRate=1,1
LockedFrameRate=1,2
GForce=1,3
FuelPercentage=1,4

Now you get the max/min/average frame rate and most importantly percentage variation. The spot frame rate is almost useless for measurement of tweaks, changes and UI alterations.

It's the variation you want to eliminate or reduce to a minimal level.

Or: replace ALL THREE [TextInfo.#] entries with only this one:

[TextInfo.1]
AverageFrameRate=1,1
FrameRate=1,2
LockedFrameRate=1,3

Who needs GForce, Fuelpercentage and coordinates anyway!!! (Well, I don't... :wink:) Advantage of doing this is that you can toggle the counter with Shift-Z and you don't have to press it twice to get to the counter and twice again to get rid of it. Of course, if you really want those coordinates etc. you can combine it with the entries above and delete .2 and .3: again, you get a toggle which is far more convenient. For those who only need coordinates and no counter: remove the default .2 and .3 entries.

Either way and no matter what you do it is always easier to have only ONE Textinfo in your cfg! Saves a lot of useless key pressing.

Mine are displayed quite blurry and small. Can this be changed/fixed?

Usually by modifying AA settings takes care of the blurries.

LM have put a drop shadow in V3 under the info text for frame rate, wind, etc. Not a bright move really. Obviously done to make things look more slick, but readability is now very poor, especially if you are using higher than standard res on your monitor. I wonder if anyone knows where the fonts are kept and whether the drop shadow can be removed?

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Exactly Robert, referring to the info text. Silly shadows. How to modify? Hmn...

You could disable clear type in the Windows display settings. Affects everything though.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Indeed but the fonts are obviously "calling" a drop shadow where there was no call before, so there must be a way of getting rid of them without affecting the windows clear type setting. But where?

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page