Sign in to follow this  
Jason_Peters

Wow... Is it worth it?

So, I'm an avid simmer. I have been simming since the days of Sublogic ATP, and MSFS 3.0, and as you might imagine I have quite the investment in FSX. With the recent release of P3Dv3, I decided it may be time to look into what it would take to upgrade to the new platform, and boy was that eye opening! :shok:

After purchasing P3Dv3 Academic, and paying for any required upgrades for the various add-ons I really enjoy (A2A, PMDG, VRS, etc.) I'm looking at around $600 to upgrade!!  :Black Eye:

So, was it worth it? Is it that much of a leap forward? My FSX is running mostly stable and I'm fairly happy with it. I am just fearful of being left behind as far as the latest add-ons are concerned. $600 seems nuts to me for some reason, even though I realize I have spent much more over the life of FSX...

Thoughts?  :Nerd:

If you really like flight simming it would be worth it. To put it into perspective, I just spent $400 on my secondary car that is worth about $1000 to keep it running. I also play a bit of guitar and bought an inexpensive acoustic guitar for $300. From what I understand (I don't have v3 yet, but will soon) this version is quite stable and lowers the chance of getting OOM's by a lot. So if you sim quite a bit, invest in yourself and enjoy the future of the hobby.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

450+ views and only one reply. Either 449 people have the same questions I do, or no one has a point of view to share except Mike (Thanks Mike! :good: ).

Really though, no one else has any thoughts? What's the scoop on this beast known as Prepar3d? What was it that made you jump into the money pit and toss FSX into the retirement bin? :search:

450+ views and only one reply. Either 449 people have the same questions I do, or no one has a point of view to share except Mike (Thanks Mike!  :good: ).

Really though, no one else has any thoughts? What's the scoop on this beast known as Prepar3d? What was it that made you jump into the money pit and toss FSX into the retirement bin?  :search:

i'm still enjoying FSX SE which Dovetail Games has patched many times.  P3Dv3 not too interested yet, maybe i'll buy around Christmas.

To cut a long story very short.

Yes its worth it, once your into P3D you would not go back to any form of FSX.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

It's well worth it but would suggest you try it, as there is a 60-day return window. I think.

3.0 runs like a dream, just did first flight with NGX, BDL-BOS with ASN. Solid performance the whole way with wild weather and scenery settings, while not maxed, set pretty high. The only problems I  encountered were, um, pilot induced.  :smile: Oh, and free VAS was over 1GB upon flight completion. Gotta like that!          

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

Yes.

Once you fly that A2A Commanche with the cloud shadows dancing off your plane and the terrain, and off in the distance you see a cloudbank hugging the mountains in front of a setting sun, you'll never go back.

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

now that's straight to the point Phill  :smile:

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I'll have to ditto Pman's accolade.

I perused all the install complaints and then did my own install of version 3. It was a piece of cake no problems. Does feel more solid. Only problem was default settings given for my setup was 20 FPS. Was having microstutters.

Set the framerate to 30 and now is smooth, even upped a few of the settings past midway. Love that Comanche! 

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

Yes.

Once you fly that A2A Commanche with the cloud shadows dancing off your plane and the terrain, and off in the distance you see a cloudbank hugging the mountains in front of a setting sun, you'll never go back.

I hope this isn't one of those questions the administrators hate, but did the Comanche install with the default P3d v2 installer?

- Bill Magann

I hope this isn't one of those questions the administrators hate, but did the Comanche install with the default P3d v2 installer?

You can modify the destination during installation, right? 

=@

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

You can modify the destination during installation, right? 

=@

Mum's the word!

- Bill Magann

It's ok. Lewis from A2A loaded it the same way!

Chris

I believe it is well worth it to upgrade to P3D v3. Not only would you be supporting Lockheed Martin to further develop the platform even further, you would also be supporting the 3rd party developers who produce the add-ons we love. FSX is what it is. It will never improve. Microsoft killed it years ago. Why not make the move over to a platform which is actively under development? Its the way of the future!

You don't need to purchase all the add-ons all at once. You can migrate slowly to stay within budget. All you need to get started is P3D V3 and your favorite PMDG aircraft.

Good Luck!

Benjamin Nash

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4 RAM CL14, Asus ROG Strix 4090, Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero Motherboard, LG OLED C1 48". 

you would also be supporting the 3rd party developers who produce the add-ons we love.

I think this is a really important point. I would love to see a majority of people on v3 so third party developers can develop v3-specific add-ons that would take advantage of v3 functionality instead of creating fsx add-ons and just porting the old tech into a modern platform.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations