Sign in to follow this  
Jason_Peters

Wow... Is it worth it?

It's ok. Lewis from A2A loaded it the same way!

And it does in fact seem to work fine.

- Bill Magann

Thanks for the feedback fella's. I agree with the fact that a move ultimately supports the hobby. A hobby that has kept me entertained for some 24 years or so, I'd definitely like that to continue.

Something I did not take into account with regard to a move to P3Dv3 is whether my system is ready to handle it. It is definitely a bit long in tooth (built it in 2011). Without getting into the kinda specifics that push us over to the hardware forum, what would need to be done in order to push the sliders to the right with about 30fps? Basic specs currently:

CPU: I7-2600K (stable overclock to 4.2ghz, liquid cooled)

RAM: 8gb

GPU: GeForce 560ti 1gb 

OS Drive: 240gb SSD

Data Drive: 500gb 7200rpm, 6gb/s

FSX runs at a stable 30fps, unless I load PMDG type aircraft at large detailed scenery then it's 15ish. I'm thinking another SSD specific to P3Dv3, say 500gb or so, and an updated GPU (GTX 960 ?) would get it done. Thoughts?

I think your only weak spot is the GPU, since Lockheed Martin is continually moving more of the workload to it.

In order to best experience P3D's features, like the lighting, HDR and improved AGN tree performance (all GPU items), you'll probably want to hold off until you can upgrade it.

Here's a great option for you if you are very budget oriented and may not have any PCI-E power plugs on your computer's power supply:

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Dual-Link-Graphics-02G-P4-3751-KR/dp/B00IDG3PRI/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1443834487&sr=1-1&keywords=gtx+750ti

Although if you can spare a bit more, and have PCI-E power plugs, the GTX 960 is a better option:

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GTX-960-GAMING-2G/dp/B00SAYDRP8/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1443834421&sr=1-2&keywords=gtx+960

Here's some comparisons in Passmark of all the current NVidia cards:

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+750+Ti

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

I think your only weak spot is the GPU, since Lockheed Martin is continually moving more of the workload to it.

In order to best experience P3D's features, like the lighting, HDR and improved AGN tree performance (all GPU items), you'll probably want to hold off until you can upgrade it.

Thankfully when I built the system I sprung for an 850watt power supply. So I think I have plenty of power reserve to swap the card. I was looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Dual-Link-Graphics-04G-P4-3967-KR/dp/B012NOWERC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443837456&sr=8-1&keywords=04G-P4-3967-KR

I gave some thought to what I would want in the sim ASAP and the add-ons below are what I'd have to purchase again:

A2A C182

PMDG 737NGX (Base only)

RealAir Turbine Duke

FlightOne GTN 750

Add the cost of P3Dv3 (I qualify for Academic though Professional is likely more appropriate) and the updated GPU and I'm looking at roughly $500 total (Academic License). Looking at the rest of the list the only remaining must haves would be the PMDG 777X & 300, and the VRS Superbug & TacPack (when available for v3) Which would be another $260 or so down the road...

The 2 GB GPU is probably not going to cut it.  My GTX 770 with 2 GB does okay in most areas... but in complex scenery, I'm starting to see why LM recommends 4 GB of video memory.  At FlyTampa OMDB, my VAS usage in v3 is a whopping 600MB less than it is in FSX - but guess where all that data is going?  The 770 can hardly keep up and the frames definitely start to get choppy.

Why not try the developers license for a month or so and see how you like it? 

M.D.

Snip...

That GPU looks like a good choice, and it has plenty of VRAM for P3D.

Sounds like you've got it all figured out, and your list of first addons are great ones, HOWEVER, hold off on the F1 GTN, as it isn't updated yet and I'm not sure we aren't going to get stuck with paying another fee for a v3 version of the F1 GTN gauges (which, if true, will really rub folks the wrong way): http://www.simforums.com/forums/p3d-v3_topic53634.html

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

HOWEVER, hold off on the F1 GTN, as it isn't updated yet and I'm not sure we aren't going to get stuck with paying another fee for a v3 version of the F1 GTN gauges (which, if true, will really rub folks the wrong way): http://www.simforums.com/forums/p3d-v3_topic53634.html

Hadn't noticed that, nice to to see Jim over at Flight1 is his usual peachy self, some folks just really push his buttons... LOL That is a hard pill to swallow, I could live without it, but the GTN really makes the 182 and Turbine Duke come to life...

I think this discussion has me moving in the right direction, but it's looking like I'll roll slowly at first and let the add-ons catch up. Perhaps I'll order that GPU... Just have to figure how to keep under the wife's tactical radar...  :ph34r: ... :lol:

Keep the talk going fella's, what are those of us that look at the investment missing?

Well you could always go nap of the Earth, but there's always the chance you will get squashed like a bug...  :wink:  Happens to me every time!

The only thing the investment is missing to me is third party installers, but those will catch up as adoption continues.

13.jpg

Greetings. I'm relatively new to a lot of this myself but I seem to think that flightsim may very well be one of the cheapest hobbies there is. Just think....

In this day and age--with flightsim software being where it is--you can pilot an almost true-to-life 737 or 777 out of a wonderfully detailed OMDB, KSFO, etc. for a couple of thousand dollars. Of course, I'm calculating in some solid hardware, software licenses, etc. but whether you like to enterain the new P3D version or FSX or X-Plane or what not, all told, it's a hobby with relatively good value.

But back to the P3Dv3, the much improved VAS architecture and sim engine appear to make it a great idea.

Well, phase one complete! (Though I wasn't able to avoid detection by the wife radar...but hey, I'm still alive!  :vava: LOL)

Made a few updates to the rig:

• Purchased/Installed the 4Gb GTX 960 GPU mentioned previously
  • Purchased/Installed updated cooling fans as well as two additional fans (changed my Corsair h100 to push/pull config)

The addition of the new fans, plus the change in config let me push the overclock a tad as well, so I'm now a stable 4.4ghz. Nice and cool, idling at 28-30C, full load at 68C, not too shabby!  :Nerd:

Phase two is next, looks like the P3Dv3 installers are starting to roll in. I'd like to start the transition this month as I'm excited to see how the upgrades work out. But, I'd still like to see a few more installers, and I need to spread the costs out as this change will hit the pocket book for a while to come. Hopefully, the upgrades get me the intended results! 

I think that P3D still offers much of the same I had in the past with MSFS.

It'll be worth spending more money in it when such things like:

.) updated navaids and mag dec database;

.) updated airport database;

.) 64 bit platform ( this looks like the standard for the present and certainly for the future );

So far, really nothing worth the investment for me, and I couldn't regret more having spent my money in 2.5 just 2 months ago :-/

It ran smooth, stutter-free, but... I was using it for the visuals of another sim, and XP10, which I also own, does a better job for the visuals, specially at night, so, certainly not going to spend a little fortune in this upgrade / patch...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

So, as an update the upgrade continues...

I got a little carried away with phase one, and added the following in addition to what was described above:

500GB SSD for P3Dv3 to reside on

Dell U3415W 34" / 21:9 Ultrawide Display

Phase two begins today, as I install Prepar3D and get things up and running. So far the primary challenges I see on the horizon, are the costs associated with re-purchasing a few of my favorite aircraft which I intend to spread out over the next few months (hopefully the holiday sales will help with this) and getting UT2 up and running comparably to what I had with FSX.

• Upvote 1

450+ views and only one reply. Either 449 people have the same questions I do, or no one has a point of view to share except Mike (Thanks Mike!  :good: ).

450 people that don't want to admit they're nuts :)  And YES it's Totally worth it!  If you have the Flight Simming bug P3D3 is the Cure.  It's the best drug in town.

What is the best way to move things over to P3D? Should I uninstall items from FSX as I reinstall them to P3D on the new drive? Is it possible to move my keyboard and FSUIPC configurations over? Any help is appreciated as I start to tackle this over the coming days, hoping to be flying my first P3D revenue flight for my VA this weekend!

What is the best way to move things over to P3D? Should I uninstall items from FSX as I reinstall them to P3D on the new drive? Is it possible to move my keyboard and FSUIPC configurations over? Any help is appreciated as I start to tackle this over the coming days, hoping to be flying my first P3D revenue flight for my VA this weekend!

Hello Jason,

To speak for FSUIPC you can copy the whole Modules folder to v3. To make sure you have the correct version reinstall FSUIPC. Your configuration file should not be harmed. Maybe you need to recalibrate the controller axises for some models.

A lot of add ons are already v3 installable. For ex ORBX is doing a hard job to throw out quad installers. A2A, RealAir, the latest Carenados, FSDT, Flightbeam have their quad installers. A reinstallation is recommended or even required. I recently stated to fly in Japan and got me some nice WingCreation add ons. They come with a tripple installer. However it is possible just to make an entry to the scenery.cfg via the usual ways. The work fine in v3. For some add ons can be pointed to v3 root directory like Razbam or Cerasim aircraft.

But before you throw everything at v3 get it run stable. Install one add on after the other to make sure the sim stays stable running. If it wasnt said before the folder structure has changed. But it should not interfere with most add ons.  

Greetz

MJ

My youtube blog________________________Prepar3D v2.5/v3

youtubefooter.jpg