Sign in to follow this  
Evan

P3D v3 new structure

I read the release from P3D, and I just want to make sure I understand this. If I install P3D on my SSD, I can then install all addons on my HDD? Is this a good idea? 

Evan Hardin 

you can install the addons wherever you want as long as it's not in the root p3d folder. Doesn't have to be on a different drive.

And yes, it is a good idea - the restructuring I mean.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

you can install the addons wherever you want as long as it's not in the root p3d folder. 

I went ahead and installed PMDG 777 into default location that they set which is the root drive of P3D.  

I would think they would have set their installer up to follow this new system since they were on the beta team.

Should I copy and move all their files out to another location?

Sean Green

I went ahead and installed PMDG 777 into default location that they set which is the root drive of P3D.  

I would think they would have set their installer up to follow this new system since they were on the beta team.

Should I copy and move all their files out to another location?

I think you need to ask PMDG. As you say their choices should have been impacted by following L-M guidelines. If they don't then either they either have good reason, or they bodged it.

I suspect we will be seeing a large number of bodge jobs over the coming weeks and months. who knows what the implications will be ? Mostly nullifying the easy installation of updates, but you can't tell the mindset of the L-M technicians at this point as they have been less than clear over the change.

FSDREAMTEAM/FLIGHTBEAM also installs into P3D root folder . Did not noticed it  - just installed them

What about ASN etc etc.

should all add-ons be outside P3D folder ?

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

That's what L-M want. Nothing installed to the root folder.

Why the addon developers aren't following guidelines ? Ask them. Please report back their comments.

Mod Jim, I presume this topic does not fall into the `no discussion` rule which was specifically to barr discussion of `routes around` installer limitations ? As the limitation is an installer specifically for V3 that appears non-compliant we are able to continue this conversation, yes ? 

I understand how to do this with scenery, you can assign the folders in the scenery library. But aircraft are recognized and assigned when/because they're in the simobject/airplanes folder, how would I assign them to the sim, when installed into another place?

Cheers!

Maarten

I would assume, that you could add en entry in C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\simobjects.cfg

But frankly right now (for compatibility testing and testing of the new sim, I think I'll just install it into the default locations - and the re-install if required in case of updates)

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

I read the release from P3D, and I just want to make sure I understand this. If I install P3D on my SSD, I can then install all addons on my HDD? Is this a good idea? 

I would install the add ons that originally were installed into the v2 folder onto the SSD: there is a reason why you installed P3D on an SSD and that reason also applies to add ons like scenery etc. Would be a shame to install the core program on an SSD but all add ons that also need to be 'streamed' during flight on an HDD...!

I would install the add ons that originally were installed into the v2 folder onto the SSD: there is a reason why you installed P3D on an SSD and that reason also applies to add ons like scenery etc. Would be a shame to install the core program on an SSD but all add ons that also need to be 'streamed' during flight on an HDD...!

I wouldn't, Unless you are absolutely sure that there will be no negative impacts beyond having to do a full reinstall when updates are issued. And I don't see such guarantees on any website at the moment.

Who knows what impact putting `inappropriate` files might have into the core structure ? Certainly not us, not at this point.

Personally, I don't think installing addons (which do not modify core simulator files) into the normal P3D folder will cause an issue other than a possible re-installation when P3D is updated. Even this may not be necessary as updates will not touch any non-native P3D files.

It is not what LM prefer, but it is still a viable option.  Most if not all current addons that are P3Dv3 compatible still install exactly the same way as they have in previous versions.

Then yes, they are `compatible` with V3.

But not `compliant`. 

I suggest P3D V3 users familiarise themselves with the technical difference between the two in a software environment. It can be very important.

It also puts new pressure on promotional and sales materiel to clearly indicate which is in force. 

why didn't LM move the "default" aircraft into a new structure?  i could lose some of the ancient sported from FS9  ;-)   Notice "a new structure" not "THE new structure"  LM have not specified external structure for models and scenery although Saul has suggested.  All ways need new entries/paths in the .cfg though

Note it is pretty easy to get some aircraft (NOT talking about hacking 3rd party in!) say own developed or old freeware, into a new structure if there's no installer or the installer doesn't check registry just installs in to any browsed to folder.   I've always installed these where possible into "new folder" so I can check what effects/gauges/sounds are used.  All these type models can be set up externally with appropriate paths in .CFGs.  

Paid 3rd party developers often/usually check registry and/or .exe available, and/or puts .dlls and license keys in the fs root, it's  problematic for them - at least for .dlls which need to be in the fs root with the fs  executable.  license keys need not and some deleopers alraedy have them outside the fs directory

don't forget the "new" external structure could be used with earlier versions or FSX if models compatible - many of us already do for scenery to avoid duplication.  hadn't thought of that before, so thanks to LM.  it would just need the appropriate paths set in the .cfgs.   Thought?  If 3rd party did that (used external to root) could make multiple version installers easier - external structure, just the .cfg entries needed in the respective sims/versions.  Would it work?

Sorry lot added by edit at 11.30 BST

I wouldn't, Unless you are absolutely sure that there will be no negative impacts beyond having to do a full reinstall when updates are issued. And I don't see such guarantees on any website at the moment.

Who knows what impact putting `inappropriate` files might have into the core structure ? Certainly not us, not at this point.

I think you misread my post and didn't get the point.  :wink: I didn't advice to install the add ons into the v3 folder but onto the SSD: after all the OP probably bought that SSD for faster access of files (textures) and to avoid having to defrag. It would be a shame to install scenery on a slower HDD! So my advice is to install add ons like scenery and planes, which all are loaded in real time in the sim onto the SSD but OUTSIDE the v3 folder, as LM wants it. 

That's the real problem, right there Mike. L-M instruct not to install into the core structure, but could very easily have provided alternatives that retain commonality, while achieving their objectives to facilitate updating without a complete reinstall. It's a `fail` of epic proportions to leave it to the aftermarket as it potentially increase problems for users of addons ten- or twenty-fold. 

All they needed was a second primary folder alongside the Prepar3d main folder called Prepar3d v3 addons, with a duplicated folder structure to the core folders, and pre-written links added to the various .cfg files to accommodate them, and Robert would have been your mothers brother.

I think you misread my post and didn't get the point.  :wink: I didn't advice to install the add ons into the v3 folder but onto the SSD: after all the OP probably bought that SSD for faster access of files (textures) and to avoid having to defrag. It would be a shame to install scenery on a slower HDD! So my advice is to install add ons like scenery and planes, which all are loaded in real time in the sim onto the SSD but OUTSIDE the v3 folder, as LM wants it. 

No, I get it. Your advice could actually create the very multiple folder chaos I have written about already. Without a universal standard, just dropping files and folders in user-created locations is likely to cause a mish-mash of installation confusion.

Without a common standard, developers and users are going to create random names for folders that will allow duplication and obfuscation, prevent effective troubleshooting and render tools utilised for external management of such arrangements improbable.