Sign in to follow this  
Evan

P3D v3 new structure

Without a common standard, developers and users are going to create random names for folders that will allow duplication and obfuscation, prevent effective troubleshooting and render tools utilised for external management of such arrangements improbable

I also find this very odd.  Seems messy

Louis, that's a good point - should have set up a standard external folder structure with the appropriate .cfg links and paths.  As said, Saul suggested a possible on the LM forum, but as you say, I suspect the 3rds will each set up their own with bodged .cfg.  At least they could put license keys in model folder.

Although I'm beginning to wonder - what about these dratted textures anyway . . 

All they needed was a second primary folder alongside the Prepar3d main folder called Prepar3d v3 addons, with a duplicated folder structure to the core folders, and pre-written links added to the various .cfg files to accommodate them, and Robert would have been your mothers brother.

Brilliant and so simple! The best ideas usually are. However, it does beg the question as to why LM missed this solution. Are they trying to discourage 3rd party development? Surely not. They must know only too well how much we have resented having to reinstall everything when each update comes along. Now we are told that the 'new folder structure' should ensure an easier life for everyone in the future. As things stand it looks like this ain't going to happen unless the developers can get together and agree a common procedure with folder naming conventions which can be used by all their installers. Perhaps these configuration files you speak of can be backed up and then modified with the necessary links by 3rd party installers to point to the external duplicated secondary folder tree. The backup original .CFG/s can then be restored prior to applying any future V3 update. This could be automated with a batch file.

I would guess LM would have to provide a small update to ensure any added links to their configuration files were compliant with the core code of the sim. I can't imagine that that would be a difficult task.

Mike

That's the real problem, right there Mike. L-M instruct not to install into the core structure, but could very easily have provided alternatives that retain commonality, while achieving their objectives to facilitate updating without a complete reinstall. It's a `fail` of epic proportions to leave it to the aftermarket as it potentially increase problems for users of addons ten- or twenty-fold. 

All they needed was a second primary folder alongside the Prepar3d main folder called Prepar3d v3 addons, with a duplicated folder structure to the core folders, and pre-written links added to the various .cfg files to accommodate them, and Robert would have been your mothers brother.

No, I get it. Your advice could actually create the very multiple folder chaos I have written about already. Without a universal standard, just dropping files and folders in user-created locations is likely to cause a mish-mash of installation confusion.

Without a common standard, developers and users are going to create random names for folders that will allow duplication and obfuscation, prevent effective troubleshooting and render tools utilised for external management of such arrangements improbable.

I agree 100%! Its a cool thing, but without providing a common guidline, I think the chaos is inevitable. Imagine every addon will setup its own folder-structure. Aerosoft Addons folders, Milviz Addons etc all over the place...

However, does anybody with V2.5 still installed simply put a cfg-entry pointing at  this root? Does this work and one has all Addons for 2.5 at hand inV3?

Cheers, Marcel

No, I get it. Your advice could actually create the very multiple folder chaos I have written about already. Without a universal standard, just dropping files and folders in user-created locations is likely to cause a mish-mash of installation confusion.

Without a common standard, developers and users are going to create random names for folders that will allow duplication and obfuscation, prevent effective troubleshooting and render tools utilised for external management of such arrangements improbable.

Ah, ok... well, I think you are panicking a bit too much then.  :wink: I never install software into default locations, always where I want them and I never ran into problem with this. In this new case I will probably simply create a folder called 'Perpar3D add ons' on the same SSD as v3 resides and everything will be installed into it. Simple as that. 

But er... if you did get what I meant, I don't understand why you kept talking about files in the core structure... and I also don't understand where you are planning to install everything into... Or is the ONLY point you are trying to make that LM made a bad decision with this new structure?

This new structure for addons is an LM preference and not a necessity.

As Saul has already said, addons such as ORBX have to be installed in the main P3D folder.

As Saul has already said, addons such as ORBX have to be installed in the main P3D folder.

You are, of course, correct. However, where do we stand when each Version 3 update comes along? I know some of you seem quite happy to reinstall everything to ensure success, but I am not and never will be. Some addons (? ORBX) may not modify core files in which case one would assume that they would not be an issue whereas others that do will be.

It would be interesting to know Rob's views about this.

Mike

You are, of course, correct. However, where do we stand when each Version 3 update comes along? I know some of you seem quite happy to reinstall everything to ensure success, but I am not and never will be. Some addons (? ORBX) may not modify core files in which case one would assume that they would not be an issue whereas others that do will be.

It would be interesting to know Rob's views about this.

Mike

Orbx DOES in fact modify/overwrite core files so I suppose that after an update of P3D from LM you will have to reinstall Orbx add ons in order to overwrite the new core files with either the old Orbx ones or updated new ones from Orbx. Anyway, Orbx clearly stated today they will absolutely NOT change their methods and everything will be installed into the v3 folder as usual. 

you can install the addons wherever you want as long as it's not in the root p3d folder. Doesn't have to be on a different drive.And yes, it is a good idea - the restructuring I mean.Vic

I have a 500 gig Ssd with only prepar3D V3 on it, so after tonight when I install some of my add on's my F drive (Ssd) it's going to look like this

Prepar3D

Rex_Texture

Flight1_GTN

All these are on the same SSD just in different folders, This is the way LM wants us to do it, Yes ?

But does ASN not need to be in the core folder and so does Orbtx?

As Saul has already said, addons such as ORBX have to be installed in the main P3D folder.

Ok maybe this awnsers my question, So install as many add on's outside the core folder but still on the same SSD in different folders

You guys are really making a mountain out of a molehill. Sure, the "new structure" is a nice idea by LM to get the FSX mess sorted. And I would love it, if all add-ons would actually use that new structure. But get real. There are so many developers out there who will at most adjust their installers so that they find Prepar3d v3. They will never adjust them such that they actually use the new structure. Orbx has already stated that they don't care and will install things as always within the P3D root folder. If you guys want to dump 90% of your add-ons and just use the ones that obey to the new structure then I wish you all the best. And I'm pretty sure that updates from LM will work as always with patches that simply override files in the P3D folder. Regardless of whether some other add-ons his installed files there or not...

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

That's what L-M want. Nothing installed to the root folder.

I'm confused. Does this apply for scenery addons aswell? 

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

You guys are really making a mountain out of a molehill. Sure, the "new structure" is a nice idea by LM to get the FSX mess sorted. And I would love it, if all add-ons would actually use that new structure. But get real. There are so many developers out there who will at most adjust their installers so that they find Prepar3d v3. They will never adjust them such that they actually use the new structure. Orbx has already stated that they don't care and will install things as always within the P3D root folder. If you guys want to dump 90% of your add-ons and just use the ones that obey to the new structure then I wish you all the best. And I'm pretty sure that updates from LM will work as always with patches that simply override files in the P3D folder. Regardless of whether some other add-ons his installed files there or not...

Indeed,   +1!

Indeed,   +1!

Indeed what ?

Carlito777, nobody is dumping anything or making a big deal out of it,

Just chatting...........

Indeed what ?

Carlito777, nobody is dumping anything or making a big deal out of it,

Just chatting...........

Indeed you guys are making a mountain out of a molehill!    

But as for dumping, some people are  ;-)

BTW Elaine, it doesn't matter if the external folders are on the same disk or not - though better if also a SSD.  As for add-ons, just let 'em go where the installer wants to put the unless there's a choice.  As for Orbx, as said elsewhere, you have no choice and they're going to stick it all in the root folder and mod the textures etc, as they always have.

Just for the craic   ;-)

Ok... when you get a point release from L-M for v3... you're going to have to uninstall whatever is being updated... and then you're going to install the update. L-M isn't going to do it any other way. That means any files that were overwritten by third parties will be replaced with default files, again. Then you'll have to uninstall/reinstall/repair/beg/cry/scream/etc.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69