Sign in to follow this  
Evan

P3D v3 new structure

To be honest, I do not understand the trouble when it comes to an update to Prepar3D V3.x Just do a backup of the previous Prepar3D installation, and copy all the required files (e.g. simobjects, modules, gauges, effects, sounds, dll.xml, exe.xml, cameras.cfg). back to their original location. Do overwrite files only if necessary. Done in minutes.

...and before you know it you may have overwritten newer files or additions to cfg's/xml's that LM changed or added or whatever. I rather reinstall everything. But that's easy for me to say because I always only install the add ons I actually use. Besides, with the new structure of P3D itself we might not need to reinstall any add-ons at all after an update. 

Well, well completed a new external folder structure last night in an hour or two, for the stuff I use, effects, gauges,sound, texture, simobjects, with usual sub-folders with separate section(s) for AI; Scenery all outside anyway.  the folders are all named the same as in the main sim but with Addon in front. More will be added if needed. Even have a Addon Global and Addon scenery/world/scenery for addon ALT.bgls's and traffic files that aren't part of the P3D3 main installation. note the scenery\world\scenery needs to be at the bottom in the scenery library as main sim's, ie.the Base .cfg's done and paths added. these folders have all the scenery, textures, gauges, effects sounds etc that aren't part of the main P3D installation like the ALTs for addon scenery and traffic files for the AI.

Traffic, ALTs tested and working, addon AI up and flying so simobjects OK, now got just to check some sounds and the texture bit someone mentioned about priorities.

it's all looking good - at least until the third parties mess up into the old structure - but even a point change update or hotfix won't overwrite the 3PD added files - its just these dratted .xml and.dll and of course the .cfg's which you should back up anyway.  AND the autogen descriptor .spbs if you have them.
And if you use system backups . .

Now, trying for stuff never tried in P3D before, maybe also UT2, FSinn (which worked in 2.5) and orphaned scenery

Now, trying for stuff never tried in P3D before, maybe also UT2, FSinn (which worked in 2.5) and orphaned scenery

Oh boy... why not leave all this to the 3d party developers? I sure will. As you said you may have to edit those cfg's and xml's all over again after an update...? I really see no reason for doing all this. 

Edited by Guest
Removed excessive quote. Again...

I too have had much fun creating my own set of folders for add ons, if for no other reason than checking out stuff.

It works really well as far as I can see, but it's probably going to end up being an academic exercise; what's the point if nobody follows the guidelines anyway.

- Jens Peter "Penz" Pedersen

I did it for all the stuff I already have where there is no 3rd party now involved  example ES and other freeware scenery and vehicles  and such   I shall continue to put in non-installer add-on aircraft and scenery and their associated effects, sounds etc. Even freeware with installers you can choose folders, install into new folder and then move.  Once.  Also all AI is much easier to manage.  it's all very well to say leave it to the 3PDs but they'll each use their own folders and names if and when they do it.   I have possibly hundreds of  AI aircraft (MAIW, UKMIL, PAI, NL2K,ACG, UT2 ) quite a lot of excellent freeware a/c and many, many sceneries and airports that aren't paid add-ons and now they're all in MY addon folders, in  one place, with one naming standard and separate from the P3D base install stuff. P3D and the 3PDs can't touch  'em  And all accessible  from later versions or updates of P3D without any reinstall.  The only things to back up are the .cfgs, .dll. and .xml - and the autogen.  But see below, I won't have to edit, they will.  Only if LM overwrite the .cfg's will I need to re edit I suspect.  And it was only about 20 lines!. And it wasn't the file structure or .cfg's that took the time, it was moving the data.  scenery.cfg wa a bit of time but SceneryConfigeditor and again, it's once now

Wait and see - you'll see Aerosoft folders)PMDG (possibly),  Orbx, etc. etc and all the rest if they ever comply.  Yes they will have to edit the .cfgs to add their paths, but can't delete them without deleting P3D own default entries> that's why there should have been a recognised default add-on structure, the fewer external folders, the easier to manage and .cfg   For me it's simples.  P3d got theirs,  I've got all mine compliant in one place effectively and the 3PDs will either install non-compliant in the P3D folders or each have their own outside structure. it'll be a right mess, a   :Pig:  's ear.  I simply do not believe they'll get cosily together and agree a common convention. I am certainly not going to p*** around with what they do 

I have only added (Addon)  Effects, Gauges, scenery, simobjects, sound and texture folders and their subfolders same as P3D, to my data drive in this case  I already had Aerosoft ES, Freemesh, Horizon, NL2000   Scotflight and UK2000 folders outside FSX and haven't bothered to rename them, no point, just scenery library entries.

I'll sell copies of my file structure and .cfg's if you want  :smile:

Nah I'm quite happy with mine. :smile:

I did more or less the same as you, and put all my freeware there.

- Jens Peter "Penz" Pedersen