Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

V3 Developer updated software thread

I'm very curious to see how popular texture replacement products like for example FTX Global or REX will solve the challenges imposed by the new recommendations.

- Jens Peter "Penz" Pedersen

didn't have to update P3D for hotfixes/updates, they did it themselves.  It was the 3rd party stuff needed updating sometimes.  These are LM recommendations to avoid that in future, but are more likely to be followed for new developments, not existing stuff surely.  In fact it's not so hard to deal with aircraft/effects/sounds or scenery but  quite a lot of existing 3rd P does make serious changes to texture folders and such - think REX , FScene, UTX - and OrbX ain't going to change in the near future.  Hard to see  how the right textures would be pulled in if held externally.

Saul put a post on the LM forum (under "space") explaining suggested paths, but it does require user/developer changes to the respective .cfgs.   If the .cfgs are updated in an LM fix then those mods need to be remade after. 

edit: ah I see Penz just beat me to it re textures!

I'm very curious to see how popular texture replacement products like for example FTX Global or REX will solve the challenges imposed by the new recommendations.

Me too, if they use some `offsite` storage and texture replacement practice (as both the above do) then it will be necessary for a reinstall or fallback option to restore original files in order for updates to install properly, for troubleshooting purposes or simply to avoid duplication (which only one of the above currently does).

There's no intrinsic difficulty storing information/files outside the core structure, but when those files change the core structure by supplanting on a like-for-like or name-for-name basis, then there is going to have to be a reversion capability. 

As Louis has said previously, a solid structure is required to be set in stone if LM wish to pursue external addon installations.

Although it would take up more disk space, duplicate texture, scenery, gauges etc,etc folders should be created externally to the main folder structure where addons can be installed. A simple flag can then be set in the cfg to instruct P3D to read from these folders, thus preserving the originals.

Texture replacement addons would then not overwrite the core, original textures and reversion would simply be a matter of resetting a flag.

The FSUIPC registration window does not pop up for me when installing the latest beta.  It recognizes P3D v3 and installs but then doesn't give me the window to enter my registration information.  Anyone else have this problem?

Ryan

Although it would take up more disk space, duplicate texture, scenery, gauges etc,etc folders should be created externally to the main folder structure ...

That's how I have done to test my own stuff, adding entries to "my" folders to the P3D appdata config files.

Still testing how it works. I suppose a texture replacement addon could take priority over the stock files by altering the sequence in "texture.cfg".

- Jens Peter "Penz" Pedersen

Ok... this is easy. Assuming that the order of entries in the texture.cfg file is the order of searching for a given file (it should be)... then whichever version of a physical file you find first is the one that gets used.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

REX4 and soft clouds inside info - thanks Tim as per instructions if I were you do not install wave animations and sun flare 

All good, except for a couple things:

1. Sun, flare and effects need to be altered per v3.

2. Wave animation alterations, so waves animate at higher altitude

Other than that, select P3D v.2.5 in REX4, then locate the MAIN P3Dv3 folder and you're good to go

Rich Sennett

The FSUIPC registration window does not pop up for me when installing the latest beta.  It recognizes P3D v3 and installs but then doesn't give me the window to enter my registration information.  Anyone else have this problem?

You are not alone, made a topic about on Pete's forum but he is away for two more days i think. ;-)

On FSUIPC, if you install the latest non-beta production release into FSX or P3D V2 and register it, then install the 4.945a beta, it'll find and install to P3D V3 on its own and then you should get a registration window that lets you keep the existing resitration.  At least that's how it worked for me.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Is it just me or is this v3 sun smaller than the v2 one...

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I installed P3D V3 and rebooted and went in checked it out and everything seemed normal

I then installed Flightbeam KSFO.. and all hell breaks lose

Its trying to reactiviate every single FSDT airports that I have..because I added a new SSD for the P3D v3  and I just hit enter multiple trimes to get out of it.. I didn't have the patience to go and register each of the FSDT airports (I have all of them) and then when it tries to load KSFO It freezes with black screen saying out of memory.. I am rebooting my machine now.

edited to add:

I restarted my machine and loaded the saved KSFO and it seems ok. I have 2.5G available VAS while sitting in KSFO

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Orbx already said they won't follow the recommendation. So no challenges for them to solve. Simple as that. After all, it's only a recommendation.

Lewis B. of A2A has posted on their official forums that their P3d V2 installers worked properly with the last P3d V3 closed beta release, but A2A is still testing them with the release version of V3.

Lewis B. of A2A has posted on their official forums that their P3d V2 installers worked properly with the last P3d V3 closed beta release, but A2A is still testing them with the release version of V3.

Great news. Bit odd though because yesterday or the day before Scott of A2A posted that making their planes v3 compatible could be very complicated and that it would come at a cost... which on its own was also odd because there already are users who us A2A planes in v3...