Sign in to follow this  
eke_flx

SpeedTree? Where?

Hi,

I don`t see nowwhere in the animated trees.

I've tried a variety of different places and weather (default scenery and with heavy winds) but  the trees remain static.All setiings is set to max (also extremely dense autogen and effects and so. on..).

What may be a problem? Is this thing works from other users?

Hi,

I don`t see nowwhere in the animated trees.

I've tried a variety of different places and weather (default scenery and with heavy winds) but  the trees remain static.All setiings is set to max (also extremely dense autogen and effects and so. on..).

What may be a problem? Is this thing works from other users?

If you load the default flight, look to your right. There are speed trees there. 

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

To add to that: The autogen trees remain and will remain the way they were. The speedtree compatibility is only meant for 3rd Party scenery design.

Judged by the comparo video just uploaded, you ain't missing much. The animation `needs work`. 

Good feature to add under certain circumstances, but I prefer my GPU cycles to be virtual aviating, not groundiating. But P3D is a whole world simulation not just a fly sim.

• Upvote 1

The animation certainly does need work. Those trees in the default location are shaking like Hula girls on drugs.

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Is the movement of Speed Trees dependent on wind velocity and direction or is it just random movement.

I hope that either the performance is fantastic and has near zero impact on framerate or that developers don't get too excited about this and start adding zillions of trees everywhere in their sceneries  :Cuppa:

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Good point. If you're that close to the trees in an aircraft you're either on an airfield, or in deep trouble !  :Shocked:

I think Flight had animated trees for all the trees in the 'game' if my memory serves me correct. Not sure what tech they used but they did look pretty good and didn't seem too harsh on the frame rate bearing in mind it was all trees that were shakin' their stuff.

Good trees make for a far more immersive experience so I am all for any advancements they can come up with.

By the way, is anyone using the addon trees from Orbx? Are they any good?

Speed Trees have really odd movement to them. We have them in Perfect Golf also and it just looks really odd (more of shaking than blowing in the wind)

I think Flight had animated trees for all the trees in the 'game' if my memory serves me correct. Not sure what tech they used but they did look pretty good and didn't seem too harsh on the frame rate bearing in mind it was all trees that were shakin' their stuff.

MS Flight licensed "Speed Trees..."

...and yes, they were used everywhere.

The animations are affected by both wind speed and direction.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The animation rate is done to reduce performance impact ... expect to see them improved and "maybe" make it to Autogen trees in future V3.x versions.  I would suspect that 3rd party may also tackle the task or improving on the current SpeedTree animations.

Here is some information from LM crew (I've posted this info in several speed tree related threads):

How do I place SpeedTree Models?
- Open SimDirector
- Choose Scenery category
- Choose vegetation_st subcategory
- Drag and drop items from the list into the scene
- (Optional) chose File->Export Scenery to save your placement out as bgl

Cheers, Rob.

...and "maybe" make it to Autogen trees in future V3.x versions.

Yeah - I really hope so. That'd be excellent :).