Sign in to follow this  
eke_flx

SpeedTree? Where?

The animation rate is done to reduce performance impact ... expect to see them improved and "maybe" make it to Autogen trees in future V3.x versions. I would suspect that 3rd party may also tackle the task or improving on the current SpeedTree animations.

Here is some information from LM crew (I've posted this info in several speed tree related threads):

How do I place SpeedTree Models?

- Open SimDirector

- Choose Scenery category

- Choose vegetation_st subcategory

- Drag and drop items from the list into the scene

- (Optional) chose File->Export Scenery to save your placement out as bgl

Cheers, Rob.

The downside to this presumably being that (as ever) placing scenery library objects through a bgl is less efficient performance-wise than autogen?

Its interesting that there is apparent consideration of replacing the (entire?) autogen tree system with speedtrees by LM, but I agree with previous points that they appear to shake, (too quickly so that the movement can be too easily perceived to be repetitive). I dont know anything about speedtrees so will have to do some learning.

Bottom line, if they can be amended to be a bit slower, more apparently random moving and can replace more of the existing autogen trees, great!

Any other nuggets of intel you can let slip about future point releases please Rob? ;)

K

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

No nuggets other than there will be more to come as development continues.

I think you might find solutions to the current SpeedTree animations coming from other 3rd party providers also, not just from LM.

I thought Autogen was a BGL?  hence Autogen.BGL file?  I can understand why they were not initially setup as Autogen trees because the animation of thousands of trees would most certainly come at some performance impact ... just have to wait and see how they develop.

Cheers, Rob.

I wonder that, if nothing else, the introduction of SpeedTrees into P3D shows quite the diligent side of LM's development efforts; they're not so much focusing on SimDirector fixes but also platform upgrades and enhancements.

While having just gotten back into a lot of this, it seems like a far cry from the FSX days. The FSX landscape--whether you take that figuratively or literally--seemed to resemble a Mad Max one.

AFAIK autogen is through agn files in the texture folder allied to a corresponding scenery folder containing the scenery bgls, which may be different from default/3pd annotated landclass textures (not a fan of landclass based scenery I'm afraid!)

Regardless of whether we get an official/unofficial heads up on future possibilities, I'm sure things will only get better :) More interesting times ahead! Cheers K

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Is it possible to still download + run MS Flight?

I'm interested to look at full SpeedTree integration + also see what they did with some other effects such as sun glare etc. I did give it a test at time of release, but due to its arcade/casual nature quickly dismissed it.

Cheers,

Robert