Sign in to follow this  
ger

AA settings

Yes, well, NI with 4xSSGMSMSSAAAAA or whatever the abbreviation was is of course a lot better looking but the drop in fps is way too much. I will have to stick with the not too good P3D AA.

I am btw thinking about upgrading my GTX 780 to a GTX 980 Ti. That might help a little (?).

:Tounge:  :spiteful:  :P

Told you  :lol: , joking aside...

O well no harm trying, well sad really, was hoping you would say all is fine now Dave....O well.

J you have a 6GB card like me if I remember right? I have no FPS problems, think your fine, try 8 withing v3

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

:Tounge:  :spiteful:  :P

Told you  :lol: , joking aside...

O well no harm trying, well sad really, was hoping you would say all is fine now Dave....O well.

J you have a 6GB card like me if I remember right? I have no FPS problems, think your fine, try 8 withing v3

LOL

Yes, I have a 6GB card indeed (good memory, Dave! (EDIT Talking about your own memory here, not the GPU's memory...) Better than mine!) and already have 8 within v3. Still see very obvious jaggies on gauges. I am running at 1920x1080 though. Maybe I should get a higher res monitor too: that would help also, I guess (though at the cost of performance once more, I suppose. Although not with a 980 Ti, I guess...) (EDIT Sorry for all the guessing and supposing...)

A "warning" from me ... lol

One shouldn't decide too fast whether not using SGSSAA and should decide it by self testing, not by recommendations!

It's the balance between having ALLWAYS very shimmering/flickering, especially in the instruments (and if you use the instruments, you know what i mean) or on the other side having a (nearly) crisp visual with (nearly) no shimmering when using 4*SGSSAA (some are good with 2*SGSSAA, but again - YOU decide for youself whats good enough) at the "cost" of some fps-lost in clouds (where you don't see much at all..).

As a mark, you definitely can use it with a GTX660 (2 GB), if you balance the other settings in P3D - and if you do it right there is nearly no loss in fidelity. (I tested it now with my new GTX970 in P3D v3 with my prefered settings and didn't see any loss of fps - other than in P3D v2.5 where i saw a major loss of fps too - but this is another theme). So its definitely worth to do some good testing!

You don't destroy anything testing it....

if you balance the other settings in P3D

Of course. But I rather have extremely dense detail in my sim and jaggies than no jaggies but 'normal' detail. Obviously you can make 4xSGSSAA work without fps dipping into the teens by lowering settings in P3D, but that's a choice everyone has to make.

Isn't it great we have a / the choice ?  :smile: 

@wizzards: (too ?) much choices in NI - but not for SGSSAA - you need exactly 1  (on the other hand: aren't we simmers fiddlers?..)

DSR: it's worth testing since it became very easy to activate (not as easy as SGSSAA with NI !). Interestingly on my 3 rigs it always was more fps-hungry and more forcing stuttering than SGSSAA - if it was set to have nearly the same (it didn't reach the same) quality as SGSSAA. But nice to have and independent from personal likings, on screens with other resolutions and dimensions than mine (27' 1920*1080) it may be a totaly different experience.

@Jan: i have all terrain, detail and special effects sliders to the max. water medium. traffic all 10%. shadowquality low and only for the plane and clouds. volumetric fog, detailed clouds and maximum cloud coverage density. 4*MSAA + 4*SGSSAA, 16*Aniso, tesselation on, texture 1024.

So the only things i reduced are the shadowquality (because i dont see any benefits from higher quality shadows) and the traffic. In vanilla P3D v3 i see no fps hit anymore in the clouds and have a smooth sim (with 4*SGSSAA! and 4*MSAA locked at 30fps). I will do more testing - of course ;)) and the dropdown may come with addons, but so far i miss no detail  :Tounge: 

DSR has very little hit on fps here. Sometimes its bad on my old eyes. :Tounge:

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV