Sign in to follow this  
Richard McDonald Woods

Experiences flying with Prepar3d v3

Hi Kyle, the wierd thing is that I make the lights working if I load a "clean" flight. Using the standard save that cames with P3D and select the 777 then I select night and airport. Then the runway lights works. When I load a saved flight like I used too in P3Dv2 then the runway lights are gone on the ground. In 3D cockpit view. Its really wierd. I tested this in the P3Dv2 had no issues at all. Also very interested if anyone else getting this.

And now my signature should be fixed. :)

Thats been happening, if you see the forums from the past week many users are reporting that lights are not working at night if you "fly" from the day and it turns into night. But if you set the scenario at night time then the landing lights and strobe splash will work. 

The solution temporarily is to set your scenario at night and then change the time to the actual date and time. From that point forward it will work for that session. 

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

After 9 years with FSX, I'm taking the Prepar3D plunge with V3; fresh SSD's arrive tomorrow for the build-out.

I'm really curious to know if anyone has been able to force a VAS/OOM issue with the T7 or NGX using v3?  I'm talking FSDT/FBST, GEX, UTX, ASN, REX clouds, Mesh, 100% AI (no cars) - perhaps between two known heavies like KLAX and EGGL - running 2048 texture res?

Robert really got my curiosity up with their scenery/memory observations...

Please, can we hear about your v3 vas/memory success stories?

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Where'd my post go?

It disappeared. Read the forum rules - particularly about signing names to posts, please.

As far as the commentary about memory errors goes:

Of course you can still force an out of memory error with P3Dv3. They didn't change the size of the bucket, and if you pour too much water in, it will spill over. They simply improved the ability for the bucket to be cleared of waste water so that you could pour more in over time.

Kyle Rodgers

I wasn't going to take the V3 plunge because I was pretty happy with 2.5, but man, I'm sure glad I did. I think V3 is great. It's not where I'd like it to be really, but it's pretty damn close. I think that was the least amount of drama I've ever experienced changing to a different flight sim. And the PMDG planes? Perfect! Thank you so much guys!!!

One very happy camper!

David Warner

BetaTeamB.png

Count me in as another HC.

I'm sure glad I invested in the NGX and 777. After moving to FSX:SE I  was very happy,but now? Back to P3D

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

As far as the commentary about memory errors goes:

Of course you can still force an out of memory error with P3Dv3. They didn't change the size of the bucket, and if you pour too much water in, it will spill over. They simply improved the ability for the bucket to be cleared of waste water so that you could pour more in over time.

Yes of course the "bucket" of memory has not changed - no one said it did. But there is a hole in the bottom of that bucket (flushing scenery/memory/water) and LM changed the size of that hole. I'm asking is users to communicate their personal experiences with the new scenery/memory flushing code and how it affects their 'heavy' PMDG flights.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Yes of course the "bucket" of memory has not changed - no one said it did. But there is a hole in the bottom of that bucket (flushing scenery/memory/water) and LM changed the size of that hole. I'm asking is users to communicate their personal experiences with the new scenery/memory flushing code and how it affects their 'heavy' PMDG flights.

That's kinda what I was getting at. Your earlier post asked if people could force an error. Of course you can: load a ton of highly detailed stuff at once. Now, the issue isn't flight length (as it was before, which is why the 777 seemed to have more issues, given its predominantly longer segments), it's simply how detailed a single area is. If you have a less-optimized HD airport, on top of photoreal scenery, on top of custom mesh, on top of maxed out autogen sliders? Yeah, still gonna cause an issue. Still a 32-bit bucket.

In other words, now you aren't worried about overfilling the bucket as much over time, as much as you're worried about a surge of water. In terms of what I'd prefer, I definitely prefer the latter, as it's a lot harder, and a lot more in your control as to your likelihood of triggering an error. It's pretty tough in my experience, but I also wanted to fight the sentiment that this is going to solve everyone's problems, since I've seen some pretty strong, uneducated statements floating around the interwebs (usually with a post title similar to "STILL GETTING OOMS IN V3!!1!1!!").

Kyle Rodgers

I find v3.0 is generally as smooth as v2.5 (flying PMDG 737ngx) but with v3.0 I experience intermittent random stutters which last a couple of seconds. The stutters appear after many minutes of smooth flight and only last 1 or 2 seconds. This is not evident in v2.5. Obviously a lot of variables are involved and this is not the place to get into that depth of discussin but generally the platform is behaving itself.

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

Yesterday I flew EGLL-KSFO using the new KSFOHD scenery. Overall, extremely impressive.

However, after 8 hours, P3Dv3 would no longer react to setting Windows Titles to On/Off - just stayed On.

And after 9:38 hours I received 'Unhandled exception from #RESULT:0xC000014B' and sim fell over.

Completed the flight from FSUIPC Autosave file to KSFO. Wow, what scenery!

I know that there are intensive investigations going on to identify causes of abends.

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

Finallly got it all set up.  Fatal error after about an hour flying from Den to Hnl...Ugh.

Steve Giblin

Works perfectly so far for me, got it instlaled today. Only issue is FMCs are blurry in VC view, in 2D view they're perfect, and everything else is not blurry in the VC.

Works perfectly so far for me, got it instlaled today. Only issue is FMCs are blurry in VC view, in 2D view they're perfect, and everything else is not blurry in the VC.

Make sure to tune your visual settings. This can be helped by turning FXAA and HDR off. HDR is the main culprit, as the blur comes from the computer assuming the white text is bright, which bleeds over to simulate that brightness.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

So, as a result, any other suggestions for this issue?

For istance I had CTD, and FSUIPC saved my last configuration. I start simulator and load this flight. Unfortunately lights are not working from VC, but from exterior view everything is OK... Could you please fix it?

Make sure to tune your visual settings. This can be helped by turning FXAA and HDR off. HDR is the main culprit, as the blur comes from the computer assuming the white text is bright, which bleeds over to simulate that brightness.

FXAA was already off HDR fixed it you're a genius.

Visuals are amazing and still finding the right combination between visuals and performace using Orbx, REX, ASN and PMDG 737. Also loaded FS2Crew Reboot and Pro-Atc for a flight between KSFO and KPDX and was very smooth. Couldn't do that in V2.5! Only issue is I had to turn off all reflections as it made the water look like too much glass like appearance and unrealistic reflections.