Sign in to follow this  
anubhavs

This isn't a criticism, but just a question as I am puzzled by this. I am definitely enjoying V3 and kudos to the LM team for fixing the VAS usage and overall visual performance improvements. Great job pushing the boundaries further.

However, I am puzzled by the new Avatar feature - what is the use case for this? It's cool and all, but was there really a burning need within the community for a visual of a human being traversing the P3D environment? I could see some of the YouTube filmmakers using this perhaps, but is that really LM's intention? For a software with intended military training, what could be the intended use case? Is the reason just to "game-ify" the platform?

Just wondering if this was the best use of time and resources for LM. I could think of atleast 3-4 other areas that LM could have invested that time and resources into - improving the complexity of default ATC for one, increasing the complexity of default aircraft to bring them up to "study-level" is another, improving real-time weather complexity (a la ASN). Working on those features would go a longer way in decreasing our dependency on third party add-ons (not saying that's LM's intention but users would probably appreciate that more).

Is simulating a "walk-around" really more important than the above? ?

So question for all of you - what is the intended use of the Avatar feature and why would LM invest time and energy into this? Is there a military use that escapes me?

Again - not a criticism. I love the new version, but curious for some opinions.

Remember, Prepar3D is a commercial product aimed at  professional training companies and the military.  There are a host of "rehearsal" type activities you can build into simulation modules to assist a variety of job skills, etc., especially in the maintenance training and flight line arenas.  There was clearly a pull for this from the commercial world, not from us consumers.  Because we have the opportunity to use this product as non-commercial users, we get to experience some of the capabilities commercial customers are looking for.  And, this is "Avatar v1.0".  No doubt the feature will mature over time.

As many have said over and over on these forums, we are not the target audience for Prepar3D, but our involvement is likely very helpful to them since we're avid enthusiasts and we do a thorough job of testing for them.  We both benefit!

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Remember, Prepar3D is a commercial product aimed at  professional training companies and the military.  There are a host of "rehearsal" type activities you can build into simulation modules to assist a variety of job skills, etc., especially in the maintenance training and flight line arenas.  There was clearly a pull for this from the commercial world, not from us consumers.  Because we have the opportunity to use this product as non-commercial users, we get to experience some of the capabilities commercial customers are looking for.  

As many have said over and over on these forums, we are not the target audience for Prepar3D, but our involvement is likely very helpful to them since we're avid enthusiasts and we do a thorough job of testing for them.

I'll buy that Doug! Maintenance training and flight line arenas makes sense. Thanks for your reply.

Just a silly question. How do I open the Avatar mode?

Jack

the Swede in Spain

crtl shift +e

I think is x to get out of it

Rich Sennett

Ctl-Shift +E is a toggle... toggle it on, then toggle it off with the same command.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Remember, Prepar3D is a commercial product aimed at  professional training companies and the military.  There are a host of "rehearsal" type activities you can build into simulation modules to assist a variety of job skills, etc., especially in the maintenance training and flight line arenas. 

I think Oculus Rift support is correlated to this as well. Having the ability to walk around the aircraft and move your head in a natural motion will be outstanding for training/rehearsal activity.

Jon Skiffington

I think Oculus Rift support is correlated to this as well. Having the ability to walk around the aircraft and move your head in a natural motion will be outstanding for training/rehearsal activity.

+1

Doug Miannay