Sign in to follow this  
Branech

VoxATC and P3D V3

With Pro-atc, Pilot2ATC, PF3 and even Radar Contact competing for the same market maybe he has decided he just wants out, but he should withdraw the product from sale.

I use Pilot2ATC and PF3 which are both under constant review and improvement and I have found them to replace Vox perfectly well for my type of usage, having used Vox for many years prior to this.

problems with FSX and FlyInside FSX i am having to use Prepar3d as the framerates are so much better for VR

Fuzzy, you are using OR CV1 with FlyInside with P3D v3 successfully?

Thanks,

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

I don't have CV1 only DK2 I've got final release on pre-order but the DK2 works fine with v3. As for the other ATC variants they are all targeted to commercial stuff and not GA which I am currently training for

Still no news on this? I don't want to have to purchase migration tool just for this. Vox is not the cheapest addon and at this point I'd expect further support from the dev...

Still no news on this? I don't want to have to purchase migration tool just for this. Vox is not the cheapest addon and at this point I'd expect further support from the dev...

I know some folks here have been able to get VOX 6.52 to work in P3D using the migration tool. I have not. It's either crashed or gone back to the reinstall process whenever I've had to change something. I'm not optimistic that we're ever going to see another update of this software. I'm waiting to see what the next version of Pilot2 ATC looks like once beta testing is done.

NAX669.png

I've been able to get voxatc working in v3 using the old symlinks (mklink) workaround.  Haven't tested in depth, but so far it appears to work (I've been away from my PC for a few months).  I can explain in more detail if you're not familiar with mklink.

Hello Hippo--I'd very much appreciate your posting the details of how to get VOX working in v3 using mklink (seeing as I have no idea what mklink  is).  Thanks much.  PS--I have the migration tool if that's needed.

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

I've been able to get voxatc working in v3 using the old symlinks (mklink) workaround.  Haven't tested in depth, but so far it appears to work (I've been away from my PC for a few months).  I can explain in more detail if you're not familiar with mklink.

That'd be great if you showed us how it works. Currently I have it installed only for FSX.

Ok, here goes.  Good luck.

The method is to create a series of linked folders so that it appears that an installation of P3Dv2 is installed on the computer.  When VoxATC runs it is "tricked" into thinking it is reading from a P3Dv2 installation, when it is actually reading the P3Dv3 files.  Carry out the following to set this up.  Please read the notes at the end before proceeding.

The first step, though, is to check the registry.  I believe that VoxATC locates the P3D installation from the following key (the following is taken from an export on my PC); my installation is at D:\P3Dv3.

---

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Lockheed Martin]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2]
"SetupPath"="D:\\P3Dv3\\"

---

There should already be a corresponding key for v3.  You must create the key above for v2, but make sure it is referencing your v3 installation folder.**  One way to do this is to amend the text above within the dashes to point to your installation folder then save it as a text file with a *.reg extension.  Double-clicking that file should then import the entry into your registry.

The folders we need to create links to are

%userprofile%/Documents/Prepar3D v3 Files
%localappdata%/Lockheed Martin/Prepar3D v3
%appdata%/Lockheed Martin/Prepar3D v3
%programdata%/Lockheed Martin/Prepar3D v3

Run a command prompt with admin priveleges**, and type the following commands:

cd %userprofile%\Documents

mklink /d "Prepar3D v2 Files" "Prepar3D v3 Files"

You should find, if you look at your Documents folder, that a new folder "Prepar3D v2 Files" (the link) has been created, with a little shortcut symbol in the corner of the icon.  The Prepare v2 Files folder acts as a kind of shortcut to the "real" v3 folder (the target).  Whenever you or an app accesses files within the v2 folder you / it is actually accessing files in the v3 folder.  It is safe to delete the link folder (i.e. it will not delete the target folder files) if necessary; however, deleting individual files in the link, WILL delete the files in the target.

Then do the same for the other folders:

cd %localappdata%\Lockheed Martin

mklink /d "Prepar3D v2" "Prepar3D v3"

cd %appdata%\Lockheed Martin

cd %programdata%\Lockheed Martin

On my PC, at least, after doing the above, VoxATC works.  I would recommend you do a fresh VoxATC install at this point.

NOTES

** if I am assuming too much Windows techie know-how here, please let me know, I can explain further.

- v3 is the only version I have installed, if you also have v2 installed then this will not work.

- for ages I have had an issue where (sometimes) if I run the programs using the shortcuts the installation creates in the start menu, it goes into an install routine instead of running the program.  I don't know if anyone else has this issue, and I have no idea what causes it.  What I do is to create a shortcut on my desktop to the VoxATC installation folder and run the *.exes directly from there.

- SimulatorSelection.exe now crashes on my machine.  Doesn't really matter to me too much as VoxATC works, and I'm only running one version of P3D anyway.

- Run the following (from the VoxATC folder)if the installation fails, or when necessary:

Registrar.exe (to register VoxATC with your key)
AdvancedSettings.exe (config)
JoystickSelect.exe (config)
VoxATCSettings.exe (config)
VAPanelSelect.exe (to select which aircraft to add panels to)
VoiceConfig.exe (to configure voices)
VoxATCIndexer.exe (to index scenery, aircraft, etc.  you should run this any time you make scenery changes or add aircraft)

- I believe all this to be perfectly safe, but you tinker with the registry and make the changes above at your own risk... etc, blah.  Please don't blame me if something breaks.

- Superficially, it appears to work for me.  I have not tested in depth, and problems may still crop up.

- Other addons will think you have a P3Dv2 installation on your PC.  I would just select to install to v3 (where offered), or just let it install to v2 if not.  Most addons now recognise v3, but for those that don't I don't think there should be an issue.

- I am running Windows 10 64-bit.  Folders / registry keys might not be exactly the same for other versions.

- I believe that this is doing manually (some of) what the migration tool does for you.  If you are using the migration tool already, it's possible there could be unintended issues.

Thanks for the guide Hippo, it seems easy enough to accomplish. the only problem I have though is this:

- I believe all this to be perfectly safe, but you tinker with the registry and make the changes above at your own risk... etc, blah.  Please don't blame me if something breaks.

Although I understand what's going on with that modification, I don't like fiddling around in the registry. It's not that I'm afraid of breaking something at first, but the problems that can occur later on if ever I'd forget about what I've done there :P However I will think about it. 

Has anyone heard anything from Tegwin (the developer) recently about the future of VOX? Or, should we just assume that this software has gone as far as it's going to go and move on?

• Upvote 1

NAX669.png

Thanks, Hippo. With my limited knowledge, I hesitated before trying your method. So, I took a deep breath and installed VOX with the latest version of the migration tool. When the install came to choosing FSX, P3dv1 or P3d v2, I selected FSX, because the migration tool makes the installer think it's installing into FSX, but the install path is actually to P3dv3. At the end of the install I left the migration tool on and ran the indexer and it worked fine-it stuck on ORBX KJAC, but eventually went past it and finished. I then left the migration tool on and installed the VOX panels in all aircraft, which again went fine. Kept the migration tool on for all other initial set up (such as pointing to the Navdata folder) and it went well also. So did voice setup and everything else. Then turned off the migration tool, fired up P3dv3 and all worked well. Three days now and all's smooth and I'm happy as a clam, but my wife still thinks I'm crazy for talking to my machine.

Forgot to mention that I kept the migration tool on also when I ran the runway updater, with the indexer afterword, as VOX suggests. Also, I installed a few test aircraft addons, turned on the migration tool, ran the indexer, and was able to install VOX into those aircraft also. I think the trick is to keep the migration tool on whenever VOX is fed something new like scenery or aiports, but to keep it off when you're actually flying. Seems this, in theory, is what Hippo was doing, but just coming in from a different angle.

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

Hello,

I'm trying once again to get VOX to work in P3Dv3. I tried using the migration tool per vp49p3's post and it appears everything installed. When I fire up P3D and attempt to bring up the Vox panel, the window does not open. The entries are there but the window doesn't come up when using the O key. Can someone who is using the PMDG NGX please post their panel.cfg so I can see where my install might be messed up? Any help would be appreciated.

NAX669.png

You will also need to copy the two gauge files over from FSX/P3Dv2

VAgauge.gau and VAinfo.gau

And from Simobjects/Misc you will need VXArrow, VXTaxiLightGreen and VXTaxiLightRed

You will also need to copy the two gauge files over from FSX/P3Dv2

VAgauge.gau and VAinfo.gau

And from Simobjects/Misc you will need VXArrow, VXTaxiLightGreen and VXTaxiLightRed

Glynn,

Thanks for your response. I just checked and all of those Items appear in my P3Dv3 directory. The display window doesn't appear in any of the panels that I had installed it to.

NAX669.png