Sign in to follow this  
hjsmuc

FSCubed anyone?

Out of curiosity I bought FSCubed. It copies folders and files but I can't see how it moves scenery, it seems not to modify any cfg files. It's not expensive but then, I can copy folders myself. 

If someone has better results then I am happy to hear about it.

Hans

hello purchased the 2.5vers 3 days ago,took snapshot of P3d v2.5,take a long time! the re installation was a lot quicker,I have lots of scenery,freeware airports,freeware mesh and it for once in my life it appeared P3d2.5 was running fine,I downloaded the new FSCubed version just released for P3dv3 (FREE)and and used it to reinstalled from 2.5 snapshot into P3dv3 with fingers crossed,as yet cannot see any issues only time will tell! the scenery,airports,mesh etc,P3dv3 look great,this looks like a very very useful  tool for reinstalling scenery when you find yourself having to reinstall P3d! as long as you have a current snapshot to reinstall from,as yet I have not checked the scenery Library or anything else,added AM to the exe and have been flying, P3dv3 is brilliant to much good for me to list and I would not do it justice.to me FSCubed it is well worth the money,but maybe better to wait for the more knowledgeable FSCubed users to chip in

peter

I prefer installing everything manually again. You never really know what a program like this does: you've got no complete control over it. I also already read FlyTampa addons and Vector don't work with it. And what if over time you have updated various addons: then you would have to make a new snapshot again, which takes quite some time, and perhaps all kinds of old redundant files will be copied over too. I'd rather install addons using the latest full installers, keeping my sim clean. Also you might not want to reinstall everything again but I don't know is this program allows partial snapshots? And what if something goes wrong, how do you figure out which addon is giving problems in the new situation? Maybe one of the copied addons is incompatible: it may be hard to find out which one it is. Anyway, I don't like these tools at all, just like I don't like EMT. I like full control over everything and installing everything one by one makes that possible.

FSCubed didn't quite do it in my sim.

I made a fresh backup in v2.5 (Yes, took quite some time!) and restored it into v3.0. All non-FTX scenery was by the way put in a new folder inside P3D3. All Orbx was put where it should in the ORBX folder inside P3D3. One obvious problem at startup was that there was no ocean! Turned out that the "Autogen" folder and the terrain.cfg file was still Prepar3D v3 original.

I copied that folder, and terrain.cfg, manually from Prepar3D v2 and viola! Yesterday a new version of FTX Central version was released, now with support for Prepar3D v3.

So maybe recycling the active region in FTX Central would have corrected the Autogen and terrain. cfg (?).

All in all... as a backup tool this is a great tool. But migrating from one version to another.. not so sure. Since there was a problem, I might start over and install everything from scratch when all addons have been released with support for Prepar3D v3. I would then KNOW that everything in in tiptop shape.

+1 with Ole! Fscube left out all the autogen and I did a reinstall. Am only installing Orbx regions using this method and it works. Search MegaRocket99 on youtube. When all the installers are out for my favorite scenery I will reinstall again.

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

Personally I'm defiantly going to wait untill official V3 installers come along 

It works - sort of - best to wait for the legit installers.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

My experience has been nothing but pleasant and flawless. First, FlyTampa sceneries work fine, it's FSDT and Vector that don't work. It uses your scenery.cfg to identify and then locates everything that is in your scenery.cfg across your hard drive. It is very thorough and I have 0 issue with any other airport maker using it. People are afraid of installing airports which have no chance of messing up your sim when an official installer does the same exact thing. Not as if Orbx is adding some new features to their v3 installers. Just manually delete them from your .cfg if you don't want them backed up. Problem solved! It's not like Orbx has their own Uninstaller anyway. I would recommend it. Especially since Orbx said they won't change their install path, this will be the best way of backing up scenery in case a patch to p3d erases it.

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

I would recommend it. Especially since Orbx said they won't change their install path, this will be the best way of backing up scenery in case a patch to p3d erases it.

I've heard the rumors of this tool being very advanced, doing all kinds of advanced calculations and high level computing. But in reality I think it more or less scans the scenery.cfg file and then copies/archieves files. That's it.

I would expect at least it knew that Orbx also fiddles with terrain.cfg and autogen descriptors.

Anyway, as a simple-to-use backup tool - definitely. As a tool to move general scenery addons from one version to another - yes. But as a tool to backup all scenery's, including Orbx, in v2.5 and restoring into v3.0 - nope. As it is today you will have to manually copy the Autogen folder and terrain.cfg after restore in v3.0 and that part was not even mentioned by the developer. So, it is not working 100% for Orbx stuff, but it would probably not be a difficult task to implement.

As a backup tool it is excellent. Although it WILL transfer to V3, it can cause more harm than benefit for various reasons. If you don't mind the possibility of having to reinstall your P3D3 - it's worth a try.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors